It is currently 24 May 2018, 09:23

PLB V EPIRB

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.

PLB V EPIRB

Postby peatop » 01 Apr 2018, 19:22

Last week i went out on a kayak parts searching mission, while looking for some cam locks i went to a boating outlet that Nath sugested while i was there i had a chance to look at both the EPIRB and PLB the EPIRB was definitely not something i would like attached to my PFD, now that I've sorted that out im thinking about a replacement PFD suited to kayak fishing, any suggestions? Also how to setup a handheld radio (protecting it from water damage)?
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs king george 42 cm, snapper 55 cm, gummy 120 cm, do we count toadies?
peatop
Square eyes
 
Posts: 841
Joined: 17 Sep 2017, 19:34
Location: Clifton springs
kayak: Dragon pro, lovig maverick
Real Name: Peter

Re: PLB V EPIRB

Postby spider25160 » 01 Apr 2018, 20:16

It does depend which model of EPIRB you buy mine is small enough to wear on my PFD however most are too bulky. The advantages of an EPIRB cannot be argued though when they are deployed. As for your radio there are a number of waterproof VHF models to choose from any of which will suit a kayak GME, Uniden and others very happy with my GME but I think any differences would be personal preferences.
Your mind is like a Parachute! It only works when it is open
Yak PB's: Snook 68cm, Black Bream 38cm, KGW 50cm, :up: Couta 72cm, snapper 36cm Australian Salmon 64cm Redfin 37cm EP 39cm Blue throat wrass 46cm
spider25160
Qualified Fish Monger
 
Posts: 303
Joined: 26 Aug 2011, 22:56
Location: Portland
kayak: Hobie PA 14
Real Name: David

Re: PLB V EPIRB

Postby peatop » 02 Apr 2018, 20:47

spider25160 wrote:It does depend which model of EPIRB you buy mine is small enough to wear on my PFD however most are too bulky. The advantages of an EPIRB cannot be argued though when they are deployed. As for your radio there are a number of waterproof VHF models to choose from any of which will suit a kayak GME, Uniden and others very happy with my GME but I think any differences would be personal preferences.

I looked at the rescue me EPIRB to me it was the weight and shape thinking uncomfortable to have attached to the PFD for hours at a time.
I will look at it again after I've arranged other safety equipment.
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs king george 42 cm, snapper 55 cm, gummy 120 cm, do we count toadies?
peatop
Square eyes
 
Posts: 841
Joined: 17 Sep 2017, 19:34
Location: Clifton springs
kayak: Dragon pro, lovig maverick
Real Name: Peter

Re: PLB V EPIRB

Postby djillusions24 » 02 Apr 2018, 23:14

All our Coast Guard life jackets have Rescue Me PLB fitted - if we didn't tell people they wouldn't even know they are in there. You only really notice if you lean over a rail or something (with the work we do) and its in-between you and the rail.

They are a fantastic little device, much easier than carrying a full EPIRB on a Kayak, I personally think everyone should have one - would make our job in marine rescue much easier thats for sure.

As a secondary measure you can use the Coast Guard SafeTrx app while you are out on your Kayak too, gives us more than enough information to mount a very quick rescue response if required. https://coastguard.com.au/safetrx
djillusions24
Apprentice
 
Posts: 33
Joined: 30 Dec 2017, 22:18
kayak: JetOcean
Real Name: Jeremy

Re: PLB V EPIRB

Postby laneends » 03 Apr 2018, 09:41

djillusions24 wrote:
As a secondary measure you can use the Coast Guard SafeTrx app while you are out on your Kayak too, gives us more than enough information to mount a very quick rescue response if required. https://coastguard.com.au/safetrx


Interesting app. Wouldn't use the sail plan much as ETA is often way out, and wouldn't want to be triggering alerts all the time. I already use navionics gps on my phone if I were to use this as well is it going to chew through the battery too fast?

I like the idea of being able to call the coast guard and they get co ordinates at the same time
User avatar
laneends
Needs a life (forum tragic)
 
Posts: 5845
Joined: 25 Jan 2013, 15:59
Location: Melbourne, Bundoora
kayak: Red Quest 13, Ivory Quest 11,Ivory Revo 16
Real Name: Keith

Re: PLB V EPIRB

Postby peatop » 03 Apr 2018, 15:03

laneends wrote:
djillusions24 wrote:
As a secondary measure you can use the Coast Guard SafeTrx app while you are out on your Kayak too, gives us more than enough information to mount a very quick rescue response if required. https://coastguard.com.au/safetrx


Interesting app. Wouldn't use the sail plan much as ETA is often way out, and wouldn't want to be triggering alerts all the time. I already use navionics gps on my phone if I were to use this as well is it going to chew through the battery too fast?

I like the idea of being able to call the coast guard and they get co ordinates at the same time

I downloaded the app and found the sail plan a worry to, for the same reason, didnt think about using the other benefits though, what worried me was the call for help button, i wear my phone in a pouch around my neck and often turn it on with a bump from my rod, this could activate the call for help, although if i was to get into trouble i could start the app and hit the call for help :up: as for running multiple apps and draining my battery, I've bought a backup charger that charges my headlamp and my phone.
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs king george 42 cm, snapper 55 cm, gummy 120 cm, do we count toadies?
peatop
Square eyes
 
Posts: 841
Joined: 17 Sep 2017, 19:34
Location: Clifton springs
kayak: Dragon pro, lovig maverick
Real Name: Peter


Return to Safety

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest