Wind madness - Video

vikodin
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: 2016 Hobie Outback

Wind madness - Video

Post by vikodin »

Warning to new and experienced yakkers alike, if your gut instinct is saying something to you listen to it.
I had those gut feelings and thought to myself I should probably do something else and even started to drive off to a different place but turned back.

I looked at BOM (forecast explorer) and Willy weather for Clifton Springs on Wednesday 10th 2012.
Both these said there was a wind change but only at around 10-15 knots.
Around the corner at St Leonards there was a 20+knot wind change predicted for 8pm so I thought it was a fair chance to hit Clifton. (I should have listened to my instincts)
I pedalled out to the shipping channel 3km and was planning to head in around 6pm to avoid the wind change, well in a matter of a second the wind went from a 5knot easterly to a 27knots westerly.
The wind came instantly no gust no slight breeze increase just bam! There it is!
But there was a massive bunch of black clouds coming that gave it away.

I was punching through the waves at a diagonal and I was taking it fairly slowly going at only 3.5-4kmph, at the start It was actually quite a bit fun.
The problems started when I got into shallow water 2-3m the wind swell was really powerful there and I needed to tack back to the ramp and ride the waves back in the last 500m.
Going head on or at a diagonal to waves is the safest, easiest most controlled way to take them.
I find if a wave is breaking putting the nose directly into it is the best although at a diagonal you can also lean into the wave. If you get side on and your weight isn’t leaning right into the wave then see ya later over you go.

If you watch this on youtube in a larger screen size it will look better!

I was in the middle of the bay at the Channel half way between Clifton Springs and Point Wilson so this is the closest weather station.
Would love to know how strong the gusts were!
wind.PNG
After I stopped the video my big snapper net that was sitting on the bow of the yak got knocked into the water on the port side and started to act like a drogue unstabling the yak.
As I went to pull the net back up, I was careless over confident and wasn’t watching the waves properly and got hit on the starboard side, opposite to that I was leaning and the yak flipped like that (insert finger snap).

I slipped up on the hull as far as I could and with my left hand reached for the mirage drive which gave me leverage to reach the other side of the yak, I leant my weight backwards and rolled the yak back upright and quickly slid back on like a seal. The noticed my wheels, paddle, dry box (tethered), net (tethered), stubbie holder etc floating off.
I did a quick ubolt and picked up the gear but noticed I was missing 3 rods and reels, I went to mark a weigh point on the sounder and it was dead.

An expensive day out and one that I should have erred on the side of caution with.
- Lowrance elite 4 sounder $400
- 3 x rods and reels $750

I am a fairly experienced kayaker and feel ashamed that I have done this, I did know better and it’s a bad example for others and a bad look for the kayak fishing community.
As much as I say and believe I can handle those conditions and it has some really fun elements, S#!^ DOES HAPPEN and so do ACCIDENTS which I found out the expensive way.
I just hope that myself and others learn something by this.
I would have liked to keep this quiet but thought it might just be a good reminder to all of how quick things can change.
By the way I was wearing fleece track suit, wool socks, Kokatats, a good jacket and a cap.
Water temp was 14.5c and felt pretty warm until I hit dry land.
Air temp around 15c and I had a spare change of clothes in the car.
Also 2 boats came racing over to see if I was ok who must have been wondering where I came from and what the hell I was doing there.
Last edited by vikodin on 13 Oct 2012, 00:40, edited 2 times in total.
cbarker54
Lord of the fish
kayak: Red Outback

Re: Wind madness - Video

Post by cbarker54 »

That's crazy S#!^ but still dunno why ya went out. Every-one knew it was gunna be a windy S#!^ afternoon, dumb bastard where was the bloody invite!!!!
CB

I couldnt think of anything witty or funny to say and didnt really want to post my PB fish from the yak cause all I manage to get are toadies so I thought I'd take the time to fill in the blank space and say pretty much absolutely nothing and annoy every-one who has taken the time to read this.
herbie
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Stabicraft 1550 Fisher

Post by herbie »

Sorry to hear about the gear mate but am seriously glad you are ok. It's a shame about the gear but its replaceable... You are not.

Well done for speaking up. I hope others learn from your misfortune.
cheers

Herbie
0404 257 360
brett73
Square eyes
kayak: hobie PA

Post by brett73 »

Yep same about the gear and same about you. thanks for sharing as it is a great reminder that it can happen to the best of us and the not so good :?
ratfish
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Outback + mini x + AI

Post by ratfish »

Nasty conditions glad to hear you came out of it okay, you've pulled a few dodges now. Need to put a separate post up but something I got shown by a friend of a friend of a friend but bloody simple and handy idea for remounts, just a short length of rope with a loop tied in each end, if you flip loop one end through your side handle and thread the rope through locking it off then flip it over the yak, from the opposite side use the other end loop as a stirrup to help your remount, sounds more complicated than it is. Hope that makes sense I'll try and film a demo once the weather warms up and I'm keen for a dip.
Tipsta
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Pro Angler ( itildo )

Post by Tipsta »

Sorry to hear about the gear J,
At least your back safe and sound.
Fingers crossed others learn something from this

Cheers Tip
manonaquest

Post by manonaquest »

an excellent example of when not to head out,,,glad ya home safe though mate :yahoo:
rayso
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Adventure Island

Post by rayso »

I thought those sounders were waterproof. Maybe it will be wise to remove it before I try inverting my yak to practice reboarding. Sorry to hear about the lost gear but number one, you survived to fish another day.
It's more fun doing it on a yak and even more fun with a sail
0429 622004
vikodin
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: 2016 Hobie Outback

Post by vikodin »

rayso wrote:I thought those sounders were waterproof. Maybe it will be wise to remove it before I try inverting my yak to practice reboarding. Sorry to hear about the lost gear but number one, you survived to fish another day.
Peter if your going to practice flipping the yak definitely remove the sounder first, it's not worth the risk for that sort of thing.
But I'll reserve making comments on this unit until I get an answer from lowrance about warranty.
Last edited by vikodin on 13 Oct 2012, 01:18, edited 1 time in total.
bj fisherman
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie sport

Post by bj fisherman »

That video is like the deadliest catch. Scarey S#!^.(great production though :thumbsup: )

Takes courage and generosity to share your mistakes so we can all learn.

Thanks.
Pb: snapper 67cm, garfish 44cm, calamari hood 25cm