OH BOY !!! Lessons to be learnt from this video

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Re: OH BOY !!! Lessons to be learnt from this video

Post by cheaterparts »

Rhino wrote: I've personally got some real concerns going into this season. Lots of cheap and nasty yaks have been purchased over the off season and they'll be hitting the water with their inexperienced operators from now on. I hope we have an incident free season.
What makes it worse some will have seen what some of the more experienced Yak fishos can do , Where they can fish and what they can catch
so it must be easy this kayak fishing - but cheap and nasty yaks and lack of experience looks more of a worry every year

I myself think this was your best work yet Rhino , watching your fishing clips are good but anything that make punters think safety is even better
I'm glad the guys didn't have an issue with it as it shows how things can go wrong in a hurry if you are not on your game
any new guys with out any experience will get some thing from watching these clips
and these 2 with some bad advise from where ever they got there yaks didn't help them at all

I still think well done
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
Jdubb
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Mantra noa Or Noah boat

Post by Jdubb »

I find it strange that these guys don't think "what could go wrong with what I'm doing? Could I lose my life".
Kayaking is not a safe sport for all, as the video shows. But everyone has ability to learn. these guys really needed advice and I hope they took it on board.

There is a saying though. "It's natures way of thinning out the dumb ones"
westmantooth
kayak: Glassie

Post by westmantooth »

In no way is kayaking in open water safe. Twice in my early years, way back when, I got into deep S#!^.

Piss easy to get into trouble and in a panic situation it is piss easy to die.

Practice, practice, practice till it becomes muscle memory and read all you can on the safety aspects. Well done Rhino. you did a good thing.
riv
Lord of the fish
kayak: Outback

Post by riv »

Rhino wrote:I'm glad that you guys have had this video come to mind and that you have taken steps to be safe on the water. That was the original intent of the video.
It was never intended to embarrass anybody, although I did concede in the original post that there was a risk that it could. I put it up as an eye opener as to what can go wrong and the possible consequences. I thought that there were lessons in it, particularly for the uninitiated and inexperienced.

For the most part the feedback has been positive. People have taken lessons from it, including the guys in the vid. But there were also criticisms.
Some thought I was yelling at the guys. They failed to realise that the camera was close to me, and just so that I could be heard over the wind and wave noise I had to raise my voice..
Some thought that I could have offered the guys more advice. Again what they failed to realise was that not everything that was said and done was filmed, and not everything that was filmed made the video.

One guy lacked to the courage to be critical on this thread but chose to have a subtle crack at me on another. I challenged him privately, where he suggested that I should watch my back because if these guys found out what I'd done they'd want to give me a touch up. Another thing he asked was if I'd been given permission by these guys to film and publish a video of them. To that end he had a point. I had not sought their permission, but promised that I would.

Soon after this exchange I happened to run into these guys again. I explained to them in detail what I'd done in producing the video, and my motives for it. I was also upfront in telling them about the criticism they received, and I also explained how they were also congratulated in the second video for listening to and taking on the advice given. It was put to them that If they didn't like what I'd done I would immediately delete the videos. They had no problem with it and gave me their blessing to continue using the vision.
They appreciated my honesty and thanked me for the help and advice. They were actually quite chuffed to be featured in a youtube video. They even offered to ring the guy who suggested that they'd want to give me a touch up and inform him that they were cool with it. I was happy to pass this information on to the member in question along with a message that he should stop being a troll and do something positive for the sport for a change. He hasn't posted on this forum since. I guess he had nothing positive to contribute.

This photo of Raj was taken last year on the day I told him of the videos. As far as I know he and his mate are still safely enjoying kayaking. More safely than they started anyway.

tightlines wrote:2. Practise re-entering the PA in a controlled environment (have never done this)
I've done a couple of re-entry videos you may not have seen and may be of some help. Here are the links.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WBawvg8TkI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ec5g5L5oxw

I guess it was timely that you guys brought this thread to the fore again. I've personally got some real concerns going into this season. Lots of cheap and nasty yaks have been purchased over the off season and they'll be hitting the water with their inexperienced operators from now on. I hope we have an incident free season.

To finish this post the way it started, I'm glad that you guys have had this video come to mind and that you have taken steps to be safe on the water. That was the original intent.
I can back Rhino up on what he has said here I was at the filming of the second vid and also spoke with these guys after, both of them received the the advice well they happily asked questions and did not appear to want to lay Rhino out at any stage.

From speaking to these guys I don't think its fishing they are into I from what they said its just to get fit and enjoy the out doors, I think good on them yes they should have researched things a bit better but at least they are willing to listen and act on advice given good luck to them and hopefully they will be better off now.

Cheers
Riv
Tribey02
kayak: Hobie pro angler 12

Post by Tribey02 »

I hope it was summer wouldn't wanna be falling in the water in this weather bit bloody cold
paulhunter
Apprentice
kayak: AI

Post by paulhunter »

thats was crazy and water looks cold as well