Kayak Fishing Safety Course 13/1/13

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
Pearcy
Lord of the fish
kayak: Quintrex 480 Freedom Sport (pretend its a big yak)

Kayak Fishing Safety Course 13/1/13

Post by Pearcy »

Just thought that I would put up a report on the kayak fishing safety course attended by a few Vyak members today, sorry if it's a bit long.

Eight of us arrived at East Coast Kayaking (ECK) in Jetty Road Sandringham between 8.30-9.00 and quickly set about getting yaks off vehicles and set up. Rohan and John from ECK got us together shortly after that and after a bit of a show and tell of the yaks started going through some of the safety theory, this included correct clothing for all conditions, food and water, basic equipment and preparation, and a review and look at the various weather and sea condition resources on the web.

Following the first theory session we (and 4 other individuals who joined us) hit the water for some practical drills including instruction and practice on basic communication on water and signals, the different paddling strokes, rafting up and providing stable platforms in rough conditions, group communication,pod travel, and understanding fetch, wind and wave action among other things.

By midday everyone was getting pretty peckish and a good strong coffee beckoned so it was back to Sandy Beach where all, the yaks were left sitting on a sandbar in a line (looked pretty good) and then in for a feed.

Following lunch more theory covering weather and interpretation of weather charts, sea charts, predicting tidal movement and flow, moon phases and their impacts along with other stuff.

It was around this time that Rhino turned up after a busy night shift ready to do some filming of the next practical session (thanks Daz).

Off to the sand bar we went to grab the yaks and paddle back out through the harbour to our drill location. This is where things got serious, after being given some demo's on using a tow rope, how to swim using your paddle as a swim aid, righting an upturned yak, re-entering a yak (self rescue), and assisted rescue of another kayaker it was over to us.

I think it would be reasonable to say that anyone who might have thought that these particular activities were easy was soon set straight. Everyone had a number of goes at tipping their yak and then righting and re-entering it, some found it easier than others and everyone quickly found out how tiring it can be self rescuing.

Rhino spent the best part of an hour filming everyone going through their paces before borrowing Dino's (Outback Yak) spinning rod and lure and disappearing over the horizon in pursuit of fish, wouldn't you know it (and true to form) he returns 40 minutes later with 7 decent salmon all destined for the guts of Gummys off Werribee south at some stage in the near future (other than the one that went to Dino).

After the re-entry and rescue session we went out wide into a good swell and went through a number of other things including safe anchoring then finally headed back to clean up and have a chat about fishing, gear etc, etc.

In summary, a great day was had by all. The guys from ECK were really easy to work with, our guys got along great and really put in, the hangers on were great as well. Everyone left the day having learnt something new and having had the opportunity to get some good instruction, put that into practice and hopefully get a good confidence boost and greater awareness of their own abilities. Importantly it was great company and we had a lot of fun addressing serious issues.

Had the new GoPro out with me and took a heap of footage, all I have to do now is figure out how to edit it and identify some decent video editing software (any suggestions) before I can post it.

Thanks to all that came along today, great to meet some new faces. I would strongly recommend this course to anyone that needs to build confidence and learn some important and potentially life saving skills.

Cheers, Tony.
Pearcy.
herbie
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Stabicraft 1550 Fisher

Re: Kayak Fishing Safety Course 13/1/13

Post by herbie »

Sounds like a great day Pearcey and well worth the cash. Look forward to seeing some of the video
cheers

Herbie
0404 257 360
Yellow
Apprentice
kayak: None

Post by Yellow »

Cheers Pearcy, I was waiting for a thread to go up. Had an awesome time today - it was a memorable and enlightening experience!

I'd gone with the aim of learning the basics of kayak paddling and safety, as well as experiencing it first hand and learning about the equipment (so if I do progress to buying a yak, I'm better informed and prepared...) I have to say, the day definitely exceeded expectations...

We got to spend a lot of time on the water and practicing paddling/safety, but the course also got deep into some of the theoretical aspects (covering safety principles, gear, fishing, weather reading, map reading, course planning and so on). Perhaps these things might be second nature to a seasoned yakker, but I was surprised how little I knew (and I'd rather this than find out 'the hard way'!)

Thanks muchly for organising this and really great to meet you all. My appetite for kayak fishing is fully whetted and I'll hopefully get to join you on a trip in the not-too-distant future.

Thanks to all :-)

Jim
Chevvy
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie PA14, Riot escape 12, Wavedance Calypso

Post by Chevvy »

I will second the strong recommendation for this course for anyone no matter what your experience level. These guys know their stuff and the little things you pick up are very helpful. I took the PA and even though a lot of the drills were paddle techniques I learnt more about my yak than I could ever had imagined. I was nervous about righting it after a capsize but after the first one I done another 3 just for good measure (would have been better had I done my kokatat's up properly). A couple of things I personally picked up, I need a better paddle for the PA in the event I need one, the standard one won't get me far. I also learnt a strap attached to one of the grab handles makes righting the yak much easier although with the assistance of rhinos videos I did right it 3 times without my strap and finally, I need to work out how to seal the front hatch better (Clark rubber tomorrow for some door seal).
I have no doubt that trips in the future will be much more comfortable. I'm confident in my ability to right myself after a capsize, I know I will be more comfortable with a new longer paddle and some of the smaller chart and tide related tips will help with planning. My PFD is even more comfortable after spending time this morning fitting it correctly.

On a side note, it was great to some faces to forum users and look forward to a few trips in the future.
Special thanks to Rhino for the tips on the salmon, they were where you suggested and that little lure worked awesome, stocked the bait fridge and the father in law is stoked with a couple of Aussie salmon for dinner tomorrow night (I'm not a fan but he loves em), sounds like overkill I know but 18 decent salmon in 30mins was awesome fun in borderline conditions (wouldn't have launched if I wasn't already out there) and not a single bit of salmon is going to waste :up:

And finally I know I mentioned it at the course but a big thank you to tony for getting this up, I would have never had done it otherwise, and the info I learnt will be used every trip. One of the smartest ways I have ever parted with $110
Salmon 50cm, squid 40cm, port Jackson 110cm, KGW 37cm, elephantfish 53cm, Snapper 53cm, ling 39cm
Rhino
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Streaker Tournament/Zodiac

Post by Rhino »

A bit tired and emotional after a 12hr night shift, a day on the water and a few bevvies, but I have to say that today was a credit to you Tony. Plenty talk but few walk, and for this event you wore out your soles.
Well done for organising and participating in it. I was only there as a spectator for a short time in the afternoon but even I learned quite a bit from it.
It is without question something that is worthwhile doing.
Thanks to ECK for giving us the opportunity.

The video clips are put together. Just waiting for some backing music and voice overs tomorrow.

It was great meeting you guys today.
gus fitzroy
Lord of the fish
kayak: revo 13

Post by gus fitzroy »

Hi all, Thanks for the info.
Did you guys do the "Kayak Fishing Starter" course or was it one of the other courses? I'm very keen to get the course done. I tried to get in late last year but was booked out at the times I could do. Might have a crack at Feb the 9th course.

Gus
Snow
The force is strong in this one
kayak: X

Post by Snow »

Sounds like a brilliant day and very informative! As a new talker I was very interested in the course but wasn't available on that day. After a report like that ill definitely book in ASAP.
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

gus fitzroy wrote:Hi all, Thanks for the info.
Did you guys do the "Kayak Fishing Starter" course or was it one of the other courses? I'm very keen to get the course done. I tried to get in late last year but was booked out at the times I could do. Might have a crack at Feb the 9th course.

Gus
I might be up for that one too Gus, I would have tagged along for this one but I'm overseas till Thursday (and having withdrawal symptoms due to the lack of fishing). I'll know how I'm sorted when I get back.
Eoin
Pearcy
Lord of the fish

Post by Pearcy »

gus fitzroy wrote:Hi all, Thanks for the info.

Gus
G'day Angus, it was the Kayak Fishing Safety Course, if you give Rohan a call at ECK he will look after you if there is a group of you or you can just jump in with a group of other like minded individuals as some others did with us yesterday. Mention you are from VYAK :up: .

Cheers, Tony.
Pearcy.
Pearcy
Lord of the fish

Post by Pearcy »

Rhino wrote:A bit tired and emotional after a 12hr night shift, a day on the water and a few bevvies, but I have to say that today was a credit to you Tony. Plenty talk but few walk, and for this event you wore out your soles.
Well done for organising and participating in it. I was only there as a spectator for a short time in the afternoon but even I learned quite a bit from it.
It is without question something that is worthwhile doing.
Thanks to ECK for giving us the opportunity.

The video clips are put together. Just waiting for some backing music and voice overs tomorrow.

It was great meeting you guys today.
:up:
Pearcy.