Cold Shock - Important information

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
Kayaksportsmark
kayak: Stealth Supalite X

Cold Shock - Important information

Post by Kayaksportsmark »

Coming into the winter months and the air is getting colder and the water even more so. The advantage for the kayak fisherman is less boat traffic to contend with. If you decide to continue your kayak fishing during the winter months then you need to be aware of two important conditions: Cold Shock and Hypothermia.

Cold Shock is a term used to describe the result of sudden total immersion in cold water which may result in instant cardial arrhythmia and respiratory failure. Literally taking your breathe away. Meaning that a capsize or fall into the water carries a serious risk of becoming a fatal accident.

Cold shock is the body's reaction to the shock of cold water. It can trigger an involuntary gasping reflux that will cause you to inhale water. Without a PFD a person can drown without even coming back to the surface and be lost underwater for hours or even days before rescuers recover the body.

Cold shock may also result in cardiac arrest. When the head and chest are suddenly exposed to cold water the result is often a very sudden increase in heart rate and blood pressure. For those subsceptible to heart condition this would not be a pleasant day fishing.

Cold shock may also lead to panic in some people due to the inability to breathe properly. Panic will further complicate the situation. As the person panics they will use more energy, lose more body heat, become more fatigued no longer able to reboard their kayak, no longer able to swim their kayak to shore, clinging to their kayak while additional Hypothermia overwhelms them.

So what can you do to prepare and hopefully prevent these situations?

The most important piece of equipment for your kayak activities is you PFD. One that will help you back to the surface if you fall in, one that is not too bulky so that you can reboard your kayak quickly and easily.

You should also dress warmly but not bulky heavy clothing heavy coats and waders create an increased drowning risk iff immersed. Dress instead in lightweight layers. Thermals made from polypro or wool or fleece will keep you warmer dry or wet than other materials such as cotton. Sorry Cotton but you cant come Kayaking. Neo products such as sealskinz and hydroskins and fuzzy rubber for those who dont want an actual wetsuit. Any specialty kayak shop will have paddle jackets/cags, drytops and pants. Remember to dress your head as most heatloss is throgh the head. Also booties and gloves are a good idea.

Having dressed right is just the beginning.
Now you should practice skills to help you stay upright in your kayak. Posture/body positioning to give maximum stability, low brace support strokes to keep the kayak upright.
Finally what to do in the event of a capsize. Practice in a controlled environment capsize drills so you may quickly reflip your kayak and reboard within seconds. Look for kayak lessons in your area and take part in them you may learn something.

Stay safe these winter months and enjoy your kayak fishing. Dress warm, always wear your PFD and be competent reflipping and reboarding your kayak in the event of a capsize. It is recommended you kayak with a friend and carry your necessary safety equipment with you.
ELM
Yak Master
kayak: A very dusty one.

Re: Cold Shock - Important information

Post by ELM »

After reading this on AKFF, and with winters water temps closing in on us here in Victoria, I thought it may be appropriate for Mark to add them to the VYAK site as a good reminder to be prepared. After a quick PM here it is, so thanks very much Mark, very helpful information and great advise.
When we say it's BIG RED SEASON, we don't mean a big red blood stain on the bay,
GET YOUR LIGHTS ON + YOUR PFD'S.

Happy Sailing Fishing and keep blowing bubbles.
Cheers
Eddie

Widsa
Site Admin
kayak: Wavedance Kingfisher

Post by Widsa »

Thanks for the info Mark,

Definately some sound words for us mexicans...

Even though you warn against Waders, I will still use them.
I feel they will save me from hypothermia and the cold shock.
Better than just thermals and trackies IMHO.

Cheerz,
Will
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway
bilby
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Fender Stratocaster + Marshall stack

Post by bilby »

Some good advice there, i think everyone could learn something from it, even if its just to take a bit more care out there, and keep an eye on our fellow yakkers.
Now i've got the PA, i'm fitting a wood heater to the front bow section, should still have enough room to flick some lures :D .
Cheers Bilby.
Bill 0409139460
ELM
Yak Master
kayak: A very dusty one.

Post by ELM »

bilby wrote: Now i've got the PA, i'm fitting a wood heater to the front bow section, should still have enough room to flick some lures :D .
Cheers Bilby.
Here you go Bill, just what you want; http://www.cobb.com.au/marine_kit.html Just call me when the flattie fillets and scallops are done.
When we say it's BIG RED SEASON, we don't mean a big red blood stain on the bay,
GET YOUR LIGHTS ON + YOUR PFD'S.

Happy Sailing Fishing and keep blowing bubbles.
Cheers
Eddie