911 Pro Angler Goes Down (and a warning about waders)

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
HaTTerS
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: None (temporarily)

911 Pro Angler Goes Down (and a warning about waders)

Post by HaTTerS »

Just found this and thought it would make a good safety reminder. IMO it also adds weight to the "waders are a safety hazard for yakkers" argument.
(I made some changes to the grammar and got rid of the smilies so it's a bit easier to read.)

911 Pro Angler Goes Down
Story came from kayak fishing Stuff - Complete story http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/commun ... hp?t=71665

Hey guys this is the deal. A buddy of mine and myself launched at UB around 6:30am, 5/23/2009. The conditions were mirror perfect with little to no wind. My marine radio stated that late afternoon wind conditions could possibly gust to 20 knots. Around 7:30 we decided to drift fish for fluke. Of course there were some crazy boaters out there speeding through the water making large waves. This did not affect the PA at all.

About an hour later I get an extremely heavy pull on my line with my fluke pole only lined with 25 lb mono, 35lb leader and a gulp shrimp. Holy crap that bloody fish pulled downward not out and away like a striper or jerky like a blue. I'm a big boy...but i tell you, for 45 minutes I could not gain and inch on this brute. I deduced that it was probably a 60+ lb drum.
I was soooo focused on fighting this beast that I failed to really realize that those 20 knot wind gusts had creeped in waaaay faster than reported. I was actually fighting the thing facing directly into the hard wind. The PA was still doing well here.

My buddy was onto some fish as well but cut away his line when he noticed the swells getting well over 3 1/2 feet high, with serious whitecaps. He yelled to me "lets go it's getting crazy out here", so i tightened the drag and the beast easily snapped the line. As I looked at my buddy and said lets go, i turned away from the wind gusts and now the side of the PA was right up against the 3 1/2 foot swells. WRONG MOVE. The swell went under the PA and over I went. It took less than a second for this to occur.
Now in the water, thank the lord it was not freezing cold. Because of my profession I did not panic. I tried to self rescue from the middle of the PA... don't do that, from fighting that fish my strength was GONE. I ended up going to the bow and jumping across the less wide area. GOT IT OVER. Nice. I managed to get my torso onto the seat but for some reason the PA wanted to sink. It would not hold me. I did this two times, then I was totally spent. Thank the lord I was wearing my vest. Now......I'm mentally tired, which brings about some inner panic. My buddy repetitively sounds his air horn to alert the local boats. One knob was 30yards from us and did not help. Another boater spots us and comes to the rescue. (THANK YOU FELLAS x INFINITY) Next problem...F**kin waders. I've read the reviews on them not causing you to drown.. F**k that. Get a drysuit! I couldn't even get out of the water and onto the boat because of major fatigue and the four gallons of water which accumulated in each wader leg. It took me 10 mins to get in the boat ...with assistance, but it felt like an hour.
My buddy has a revo with outriggers. They really helped him tremendously, he made it to shore safely.

Always:
1) have a buddy
2) stay alert for everything and anything
3) dont skimp on gear, I lost damn near everthing, rods not tied down, 10 fluke rigs freshly purchased, my blackberry storm, black Hobie paddle, emergency eye glasses, all inside storage liners, but thank the lord I still got my BALLS BABY, they're just a little lower now.

All in all the PA is still a good boat but...If you see large swells...HAUL ASS BABY! Because contrary to what anybody says from here on out 38 inches wide will still go down in the right conditions!!! Bank on it.

I still hope to get out there again in the near future but for now I MIGHT start back with fresh water fishing.

Poised on the edge of sanity.
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Re: 911 Pro Angler Goes Down (and a warning about waders)

Post by maverick »

that looks like a nice day on PPB.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
wembas
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Feelfree Moken

Post by wembas »

well.... im glad hes OK..... but

the photo is a classic - the unsinkable untippable titanic being towed in half submerged. love it.
also - what a noob - nothing tied down.... lost everything :lol: even his hobie paddle - good lord - a disaster.
mingle
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: one

Post by mingle »

... How does that song from the movie "Titanic" go?
cruiser
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: AI

Post by cruiser »

Ive seen this pic before ,a good lesson for everybody and as for waders as far as yaks go never used them and dont have any future plans for them

cheers cruiser
mob 0423 492 759
Windknot
Lord of the fish
kayak: Malibu Mini X & Native Watercraft Propel

Post by Windknot »

mmmm ..... Very interesting.

I've worn my neoprene waders in my yak in the past, but I didn't really consider that if I ever flipped it, every little bit of water that will seep down past my waist will accumulate in the feet of the waders, and this would make it extremely difficult to climb out of the water and back onto the yak. It's bloody hard enough to climb back aboard when I'm wearing board shorts. :shock:

I don't think I'll be wearing them again when kayaking. A timely reminder.

Mick
There's only a fine distinction between fly fishing and standing on the bank looking like an idiot.
madfishman
Lord of the fish
kayak: Pro Angler

Post by madfishman »

If you do decided to wear waders in a yak or anywhere you should always wear a belt around the waders to stop the water from getting into your feet, the guys at Aussie Angler have always told me to wear a belt even when trouting or going for salmon.
I was at Lakes Entrance a fewa years back and a guy got hit by some wash of a wave and got dragged into the surf, not nice...
Cheers ,
Neilo

www.slhobie.com.au
blahger
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Leyland P76 Island of Adventure

Post by blahger »

Hell Starver made us take his pa out in Portland with more water in it than that...hmmm :)
Affiliated with the badger protection league
http://www.badgerprotectionleague.com/
bilby
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Fender Stratocaster + Marshall stack

Post by bilby »

What these wallys are trying to do, is blame there equipment instead of blaming themselves, 20kn winds are getting up there, and as far as i'm concerned there wouldn't be too many boaties who would say 20kn winds are favourable, in a yak it would be even worse.
What a lot of people also forget is that even a PA at nearly 1mtr wide, still has a very narrow beam for a 14footer, my tinny is 4.2 mt and the beam is 1.9mtr, and i would think twice about taking that out in 20kn winds.
As Rhino says know your limitations and don't be an idiot.
Cheers Bilby.
Bill 0409139460
FECKIT
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie Outfitter with twin 200HP Mercs ;)

Post by FECKIT »

bloody seppos... NFI.

Forget the 4 gallons of water in his waders, the fat **** fprobably weighed 125kg from too many supersize cola's! Moral of the story... don't hit the open water unless you are fit enough to fight a fish AND pull yourself back into the barge (after ditching your waders)

J
Image FECKIT... Let's go fishing Image ImageImage