The difference between Kokatats and Waders.

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
Matt.A
Lord of the fish
kayak: A boat

The difference between Kokatats and Waders.

Post by Matt.A »

Sorry if this thread has been covered, I did a search but could not find anything to do with this specifically. I know the safety section and the waders on yaks thing gets pounded so I apologize for that too :thumbsup: Anyway, what is the real difference between kokatats and waders? I have those cheap rubber waders and I intend on using them at Nelson in a few weeks on the yak. Rather then putting the straps over my shoulders I can roll the waders down and then criss cross the straps around my waist, making an air tight seal (as you can see in the pics below). Before anyone says they will fill with water, hairbear went in entering his yak at Bemm wearing waders and no water got in and he was above waist deep in water. So what really is the difference between kokatats and waders???? Heres a few pics of what I'm talking about. Thanks guys :D

Criss crossed rolled down waders:

Looking down shot:

You can tell its air tight because they puffed up when I sat down (I will squeeze the air out then seal on the yak).

Matt.A
Lord of the fish

Re: The difference between Kokatats and Waders.

Post by Matt.A »

I will also add I always wear a PFD.
Widsa
Site Admin
kayak: Wavedance Kingfisher

Post by Widsa »

It's been flogged to death but they are the same banana in my opinion.
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway
vikodin
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: 2016 Hobie Outback

Post by vikodin »

Matt if you take a swim in your waders you will see where the problem and difference is.
Your waders don't make an air tight seal so fill with water, which makes it hard to re enter the yak due to the weight of the water in them.

Kokatat's i have personally tested swimming in them and as long as you are wearing them correctly ie have the neoprene seal done up tight against your bare skin.
Then they don't take in water, they actually push all the air out from the pressure of being under water and suction onto your legs.
Widsa
Site Admin
kayak: Wavedance Kingfisher

Post by Widsa »

vikodin wrote:Matt if you take a swim in your waders you will see where the problem and difference is.
Your waders don't make an air tight seal so fill with water, which makes it hard to re enter the yak due to the weight of the water in them.

Kokatat's i have personally tested swimming in them and as long as you are wearing them correctly ie have the neoprene seal done up tight against your bare skin.
Then they don't take in water, they actually push all the air out from the pressure of being under water and suction onto your legs.
Same thing happens with waders.... You should wear a wading belt with them though and not just wrap the straps around your waste.
Ok that's it im hiding again now.... Eddy? :?
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway
Matt.A
Lord of the fish

Post by Matt.A »

Do you know where can I get a wide neoprene type belt? Vik the way I see it, the air is going to squeeze out the same way it does with kokatats.. There is not much difference IMO, as long as you can seal the waist then there should and will not be a problem.
vikodin
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: 2016 Hobie Outback

Post by vikodin »

Matt.A wrote:Do you know where can I get a wide neoprene type belt? Vik the way I see it, the air is going to squeeze out the same way it does with kokatats.. There is not much difference IMO, as long as you can seal the waist then there should and will not be a problem.
I don't think you could get an airtight seal on waders like you can on kokatat's, and most good waders come with a belt but they are not designed to be watertight.

kokatat's also don't restrict swimming as they don't have big boots on the end of them.

If you wear waders make sure you are able to unclip them quickly and have that in mind if you go in the drink.
Matt.A
Lord of the fish

Post by Matt.A »

I will have a dive knife strapped to my leg incase. Those clips are fairly easy to undo in an emergency. All you have to do is unclip and swim out of them if they do fill up :thumbsup:
herbie
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Stabicraft 1550 Fisher

Post by herbie »

Matt.A wrote:I will have a dive knife strapped to my leg incase. Those clips are fairly easy to undo in an emergency. All you have to do is unclip and swim out of them if they do fill up :thumbsup:
At the end of the day it's your life so do what you want but I think you will find 90% of VYAK members would tell you not to do it.

Personally I wouldn't go anywhere near the water in a yak wearing waders.

I would also hate for your last thought to be... gosh, I really should have listened when the guys said don't do it.

Maybe you should try heading down to Corio with your waders on with a couple of friends and jumping out of your yak and doing a test to see what effect wearing them has. I am picking you will change your mind pretty quickly. Especially when you take into account that it isn't summer and you also have immersion shock to deal with.
cheers

Herbie
0404 257 360
Matt.A
Lord of the fish

Post by Matt.A »

herbie wrote:
Matt.A wrote:I will have a dive knife strapped to my leg incase. Those clips are fairly easy to undo in an emergency. All you have to do is unclip and swim out of them if they do fill up :thumbsup:
At the end of the day it's your life so do what you want but I think you will find 90% of VYAK members would tell you not to do it.

Personally I wouldn't go anywhere near the water in a yak wearing waders.

I would also hate for your last thought to be... gosh, I really should have listened when the guys said don't do it.

Maybe you should try heading down to Corio with your waders on with a couple of friends and jumping out of your yak and doing a test to see what effect wearing them has. I am picking you will change your mind pretty quickly. Especially when you take into account that it isn't summer and you also have immersion shock to deal with.
I will be yakking with 4 other blokes so I will be fine. I see no difference between waders or kokas. We will see what happens :thumbsup: