winter, what to wear in PPB

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
mango13
Apprentice
kayak: Ocean Kayak prowler 13

winter, what to wear in PPB

Post by mango13 »

Hello to everyone.
I know this topic has been covered before, but i was looking forward to going out again and thought....."cold & safety".
Its been quite a few months since i was on the water last. I am getting the urge to venture out in the cold, but don't have any clothing that would suit the weather at the moment. Pretty cold :shock:
So i was looking at getting a full length wetsuit, but i am not sure if this is the best way to go. :?: Also, what thickness does anyone recommend ? Are waterproof pants, warm clothing a better option? :?:
Thanks for any input or advice. :)
Cheers
mango13
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Re: winter, what to wear in PPB

Post by maverick »

ugg boots, trackie dakz, beanie, jacket & stay at home... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
mingle
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: one

Post by mingle »

I just wear a few extra layers...

Typically I have a t-shirt + long-sleeved rugby S#!^ + polar fleece on the top.

Downstairs it's shorts with some thing (nylon) tracky pants...

Usually I do without shoes too... My feet go numb, but at least they usually stay dry...

Mike.
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

ok, serious answer, the full length wettie will be realy hard to paddle in. Better off with a rashie, perhaps a full lenght wettie with a singlet top (like the bottom half of a 2 piece, then a jumper and a spray jacket & stick with the beanie. You will still have freedom of movement in the arms to paddle, the rashie to stop the rash under the arms and the spray jacket to keep you warm. I find the wetsuit legs can still let your legs get cold so some spray pants over the top to stop the wind chill really helps (that is if I am not wearing my waders.

Or go like Elm and haTTers and go the dry suit.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
SurfanFish
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: dorado, espri

Post by SurfanFish »

Worth asking again. Chances are you get some different input.

My winter clothing as follows;
- old unsealed 3mm short sleeve surfing steamer (I have a 5mm and 7mm diving long johns but never felt the need to wear them).
I would also consider wearing my winter surfing wetsuit - full steamer, sealed, lined, 3mm - I can't see this affecting my paddling ability much)
- long sleeve rash vest
- good quality dingy sailing smock (these guys get wet more than we do as a rule)
- pfd
- 2mm wetsuit socks (cheap on ebay)
- wetsuit boots
- tight fitting rigger gloves (gardening section bunnings). I can do everything but tie knots with these. I have neoprene gloves which are great for diving but don't like them above water when they are wet
- beanie

I find this kit fine for the 3-4 hour trips I do. Never cold above water but would possibly find the 3mm a bit light on if I was in the water for too much time. The wetsuit is also good if you take on a bit of water and have to sit in it.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
Bozzie
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Dune Pro Angler

Post by Bozzie »

........And NO waders! :(
The Rubai-Yak of Hobie Khayyam
Mob: 0409234439

HaTTerS
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: None (temporarily)

Post by HaTTerS »

My drysuit is the best investment I've made in regards to kayak fishing. I can't speak highly enough of them. But unfortunately, they are very expensive and may be out of reach if you don't have $600-1000 spare.
Purchasing a drysuit from the USA will save you a bundle.
If you are interested in buying one, don't skimp. A relief zipper is essential and gore-tex socks rather than latex will save you money in the long run because they won't perish over time like the other latex seals and need to be replaced.
Poised on the edge of sanity.
deano
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: PA

Post by deano »

Everyones different when it comes to feeling the cold.
My attire on a chilly morning is thermals (pants and top), long sleeve tshirt, fleece jumper, life jacket, trackies, rainproof pants, thermal socks, sealskinz waterproof socks, beanie and gloves. Don't feel the cold at all wearing all this and it's not uncomfortable at all.
cruiser
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: AI

Post by cruiser »

This winter being so cold Ive gone for sharkskins which includes long pance, long sleeved top and socks and over the top of these I wear waterproof dacks waterproof jacket and mares wetsuit booties ,so far even on the coldest days and into the night I have been comfortable,you hardly know you have them on most of the time that is until I get changed at the end of a trip :shock:almost forgot a good beanie is a handy asset too

cheers cruiser
mob 0423 492 759
Mordy
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback Yellow

Post by Mordy »

Hi Mango 13 remember having a Yak chat at a carpark in Parkdale.
I find getting shoes to match the problem.
I have just beem pimping up in the clothing department.
Got some larvacore pants and long sleve top ( at capacity sports 2x $140)
and picked up some longer 3mm booties at BCF for $30.00
When I started looking they said did you want to be dry or warm?
No point having waterproof pants if you go over. Water is at about 11 degrees C at the moment
Go over and it's party over, back to shore if not worse.
Haven't atually gone out in it all yet so no report about usability.
The dive shop ( down stairs) at BCF has sharkskins which are a stiffer item and marginally ( 20%) more expensive
I went for the larvecore for mobility. ( basically they are both a thin wetsuit with a fleece lining)
Ugg boots sound good
Mordy