Is it safe to go out?

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Is it safe to go out?

Post by Seasherpa »

From the "read this one" thread http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=86&t=21306
makro wrote: 1. What are the typical easy spots to start out at?
2. Where to get a reputable forecast information (BOM, Willy weather)
3. What data points do experienced yakers look at before they make a decision to go out
4. How do you decide what times to fish between. I have seen threads where yakkers have got stuck in the mud!
5. When you get to the water what signs do you look for to make a last go/no go decision
6. When you are on the water what are the tell tale signs to call it a day or risk getting into a spot of trouble.
Cheers
Makro
Hey Makro, I've tried to answer this as best I can, there is plenty more that could be added to this by others. For 2 and 3, there are lots of options but I've outlined my process for planning a trip, hope it helps :thumbsup:

1. What are the typical easy spots to start out at?
Based on the info below, easy launches are the ones with low tide flow (North PPB) on a day with light winds. Light offshore winds are even better.

2. Where to get a reputable forecast information (BOM, Willy weather)
I use both of the above in combination but there are other sources.

3. What data points do experienced yakers look at before they make a decision to go out?
Wind strength
I use BOM Meteye cross checked with Willyweather to get the wind speed in knots for the duration of my intended trip and for the hours either side. I find Willyweather is usually accurate with the time of wind direction changes but not always for strength. Here is a good kayaking guide to what the water looks like at various wind strengths:
http://www.kayarchy.com/html/03thesea/003wind.htm
Consider the conditions along with the type of fishing planned. If you are drifting flicking sp's for example, you might be going too fast even with a drogue out! If you are soaking baits at anchor however it might not matter as much provided you can anchor and retrieve safely in wind and you don't mind a few waves coming in over the back.

Wind direction
Compare the wind direction to a map of your intended launch on Google maps, if the wind is coming onshore (from the water towards land) the bay will have chop ( short sharp wind waves not to be confused with swell) if the wind is offshore (from land out into the bay) then the water will be flatter. There is another consideration though offshore winds blow you away from your launch and you have to paddle/peddle against it to get home whereas for onshore winds you paddle out against it initially but have a following sea coming back. Due to the shape of the bays you can usually move your intended launch around the other side to get an offshore wind. Eg onshore at Altona head over to Ricketts.

Tides
In areas where the tide flows hard, the direction a tide is going compared to the wind can affect the water. Tide and wind in the same direction is good, tide and wind in opposite directions stands the water up and tide and wind in 90 degrees to each other means you boat will swing at anchor and its harder to keep you lines where you want them.

Local knowledge of the launch area
Fishing a new spot is probably best done with someone who knows the area, they might not give you their spot X but are very likely to warn you of local hazards ; strong tides, exposed reef, bommies etc If you can't fish with someone you can learn a lot by visiting the launch spot beforehand at low tide to look for obstacles that are hidden at high tide.

Knowledge of your own equipment
Consider the seaworthiness of your boat - length/shape, did you use sealant for any mods you did, are things blocking your paddle stroke if you need to get off the water in a hurry?
Safety gear - PFD, bilge pump, spare paddle, torch
Visibility - lights/flag is there fog forecast?

4. How do you decide what times to fish between. I have seen threads where yakkers have got stuck in the mud!
Tide changes and the hour either side are very productive bite times. In areas like WP where at times you need to travel some distance to your spot and the tide can run hard, it is better to use the tides in your planning eg launch and use the outgoing tide to carry you down to your spot, fish across the change and use the incoming tide to carry you back to launch. For some species like snapper first and last light works well. If you are fishing the top of WesternPort over a low tide it will drain to a mud plain leaving deeper water only in the channels. This means you have to stay out on the water until the tide comes back in or you can't get back to land.

5. When you get to the water what signs do you look for to make a last go/no go decision
I can't tell you what conditions are right for you, only you can, but stand and watch the water for a few minutes before you launch, trust your gut feeling when it tells you things are getting hairy better to be onshore wishing you were fishing than offshore wishing you were on land. For me personally, I prefer to paddle into a headwind than have a choppy following sea but I know my boat can handle both if need be. I fish stronger winds at anchor than I would drifting because it is usually more productive. If there are consistent whitecaps how comfortable would you be? Fishing should be enjoyable after all. Also when I want to push myself I always fish with other people.

6. When you are on the water what are the tell tale signs to call it a day or risk getting into a spot of trouble.
Go back to the photos in the beaufort scale link above, if you notice a change in the water, the wind is picking up, was that expected in the forecast or not? If not, then the forecasters probably got it wrong or a change is coming in earlier than forecast. What way is your boat facing/drifting? Has the wind direction changed? Check for an updated weather forecast on your phone/VHF and make the call to move in closer or head in. Keep an eye on the sky for storm fronts/fog rolling in and lastly when in Rome... If everyone around you is packing up in a hurry and heading in there is probably a good reason why!
Last edited by Seasherpa on 14 Oct 2015, 18:21, edited 2 times in total.
Hvalross
Lord of the fish
kayak: Yellow Hobie Pro 14

Re: Is it safe to go out?

Post by Hvalross »

Excellent post FishnDive

Thanks
When all else fails........read the instructions!
Studies have shown that people who have more Birthdays tend to live longer...
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

re wind direction. With a cross wind shorter and rudderless kayaks can struggle going in a straight line, heading into a wind again shorter rudderless kayaks can try to turn away. As long as you can keep it pointing into wind and make headway it feels relatively safe. A following wind/wave can be surprisingly unnerving if you are not experienced, as you feel like you are going to tip out forward as yak twists, as the wave picks the back up and the nose starts to dip

If you feel conditions changing and you are feeling slightly concerned. Dont wait and see, move closer in. Sitting at anchor can be deceptive, when you start to retrieve anchor it will suddenly feel a lot rougher.

To start off with stay close in, it is very easy to end up further out than you intened
makro
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Native Slayer Propel 10

Post by makro »

Thanks a tonne fishndave and laneends for typing all that up. Very valuable information here and thanks for the link too
vicyak
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie PA 14

Post by vicyak »

I'm new to kayaking myself. One word of advice is if there is a strong offshore wind it will still seem ok from the beach however it will not be the case the further you get out and if you get into trouble you can find yourself heading away from land quickly. I don't mind onshore wind myself however it doesn't take much for it to get rough. It is the heading back in when the wave picks up the back of the yak which can be unnerving. I figure if the wind is onshore and I get dumped it should bring me back to land.

Personally if I'm going out by myself I'll only go a distance I feel comfortable in swimming back to land in absolute worse case. Recently I did a few swim sessions as it had been a few years since I have done distance swimming. I can still swim just not as good. I was doing 2-4km swim sessions in the bay usually twice a week. Only stopped this 3 years ago.

I would also practice Re-entry into your yak. I believe Rhino has some videos on this. I'm about to tie a short rope with a loop for my foot so it also aids in re-entry and will also help if yak is overturned.