Kayak Fishing at Queenscliff?

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
tropicalfisher
Apprentice
kayak: None

Kayak Fishing at Queenscliff?

Post by tropicalfisher »

Hi all,

I am interested in trying out kayak fishing at Queenscliff. I know that the Rip is extremely dangerous and do not plan to venture there any time soon, but how is Queenscliff? I am sure that some of you have fished the area before. Should I fish incoming or outgoing tide? Is there danger from ships? Etc? Thanks for your help! :yahoo:
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Re: Kayak Fishing at Queenscliff?

Post by shane »

I've fished Queenscliff a lot. It's generally pretty easy to fish there as long as you're aware of the tides. Generally a high tide at Williamstown will be roughly slack tide at Queenscliff. You can also look at the BOM tide flows chart for the RIP which shows slack times as well as the peak tide flow to gauge strength. Generally fish either side of the tide change or over slower tide periods (before the new/full moon) and you will find it easier.

Launch either from the ferry car park south of the ferry or from the Pilot base car park north of the Pilots jetty. You need to beware of the ferry and don't cross it's channel while its moving nearby. The pilots can also put up a fair wake, otherwise it's just the normal boat traffic.

The best whiting grounds are on the weed beds to the north of the ferry channel along Swan Island. This area holds very big whiting and bites best with dirty water and low light periods. These closer in areas, up along Swan Island are relatively easy to fish. Squid are through the area but best spots are bell reef in front of the Pilots jetty and around the corner in Lonsdale Bight. Tide flow can pick up outsdide of the change so start of fishing either side of slack. There are other species in the area including Kings in summer without needing to go into the rip. Gummies are available but generally further out in the deeper channels (eg Symonds) and you'll need to know what you're doing in these areas. Take it easy getting used to the area and learn how to fish around the tides. You should generally find it safe as long as you don't try to anchor in the deeper faster channels around high flows and take it in small steps.
0408 565 763