Lessons Learned from a Prepared Paddlers Misfortune

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
erik the viking
Square eyes
kayak: 2015 Outback

Lessons Learned from a Prepared Paddlers Misfortune

Post by erik the viking »

This was posted a few days ago from TSV/Boating Safety News.
Here is the conclusions from a near fatal incident, back in October, from a seasoned paddler traveling from Stony Point to French Island.
Although this paddler had the safety gear, knowledge, experience and current weather info, things didn't quite go right for him.
He is a lucky person to be alive today.

Please read and reassess your preparation and safety equipment.

Happy Christmas to you all.

Lessons Learnt: How a routine commute led to capsize

In October, a well-prepared paddler was undertaking his regular 4.5km commute home by sea-kayak from Stony Point to French Island when his vessel capsized.

The wind was gusting to 29 knots from the WSW. Twenty minutes into his trip the sea-kayak was capsized by a wave and he was unable to roll back upright.

The regular ferry service passed within 300m of his position while he was in the water, however he was unable to gain their attention.

He was unable to get back on, so attempted to swim the kayak to land – he only activated his personal locator beacon (PLB) when he thought that he might not make it.

Timeline

5:48pm: Departed Stony Point (pictured), paddling SE in lee of the land
6:00pm: Turned to the East in following seas
6:09pm: Fell out halfway to French Island - stayed with sea-kayak kicking it towards French Island at slow speed until he thought he might succumb to the cold.
6:31pm: Beacon Alert Received in Canberra- emergency contact information gathered while position was determined.
6:40pm: Position determined by satelltie & emergency contact advised of situation.
6:44pm Water Police contacted by Rescue Coordination Centre in Canberra.
6:55pm Air Ambulance requested by Water Police to attend.
7:09pm Air Ambulance airborne and enroute to last known location.
Two Marine Seach & Rescue boats were tasked by the Water Police and a resident of the island also launched his own boat to assist with the search.
7:43pm the Air Ambulance located the paddler in the shallows of French Island. Body temperature 30.5 deg. Having spent more than an hour in the cold water until he was seen near shore by a helicopter crew, he was taken to hospital with hypothermia.
Stony Point to French Island Map.jpg
We spoke to the man after the ordeal about what went wrong despite his usual precautions.

Trip preparation

He had practised self rescue techniques including eskimo rolls and deep water re-entries.
He wears a lifejacket and carries a phone in a waterproof pouch, PLB and radar reflector on his kayak.
He had recently purchased a portable VHF radio, but it was not on board because the battery was flat.
He always lets his partner know his trip plans, and she was able to track the journey by his phone’s GPS.
He had considered an up to date forecast, and wind conditions matched the expected 25-28 knots W/SW. However, the weather and sea conditions were beyond his capability.

After capsize

His lifejacket supported him in the water both while he attempted to re-enter the sea-kayak and while kicking towards the shore.
His waterproof phone pouch failed because it had degraded over time.
The regular ferry passed him by without sighting him in the water and he had no means to gain their attention.
The PLB signal failed intermittently, either when the satellite was in a poor position or the PLB antenna was under water.

Conclusions from Event

Know your limits and be prepared.

When in an emergency situation you should call for help as early as possible. Any delay may result in a less than favourable outcome.

Having multiple ways of calling for help will cover more than one situation. Sometimes alerting those in the near vicinity provides a quicker outcome than waiting for a rescue to be coordinated from afar.

A PLB is not buoyant like an EPIRB and needs to maintain visual contact with the satellite. A PLB will not float with the aerial above the water and will most likely need to be held above the water. An attachment to the shoulder of your lifejacket may assist.

A ‘pea less’ whistle may be effective in raising the attention of people who are nearby. There are personal rocket flares as well as rocket flares and smoke flares that can be used by paddlers if there are other boaters, planes or land based people within visual range.

A paddle float adds to the stability of your craft if you are having trouble getting back on board or back inside in choppy conditions.

High-vis hats and high-vis lifejackets or flags will assist in collision avoidance – but will also assist searchers if they are looking for a person or kayak in difficult conditions.
erik the viking
Square eyes

Re: Lessons Learned from a Prepared Paddlers Misfortune

So the message I got from TSV, and speaking to yakkers that possess a PLB, you must have it in a location where you can easily access it when you end up in the drink!
It's no good to you in the hull, under the lid, in a dry bag or under a seat etc when the yak is upside down in less than ideal seas.
It must be attached to your 'lifejacket', preferably up near the shoulder where the antenna can actually send it's signal upwards to the satellites.
A EPIRB unfortunately must remain dry until it is required to operate, however again, in the hull is no good to you when it all turns to s###.
It appears that the regs will change soon so that a PLB will be acceptable for a kayak, but we don't know exactly when.
The only real difference between a current PLB and an EPIRB is the operating life once activated.

An extra 24 hours battery life will make stuff all difference to your survival in most Vic waters. (salt or fresh)
Hypothermia will most probably get you before the emergency sevices will...................
It's ok to feel warm and fuzzy because you have one, but it's not going to be much good to you if it ain't operating or sending a signal!
Please consider the advice from TSV and reconsider your EPIRB or PLB options.
And remember that a PLB is registered to you and not your craft, so it can also be used for other outdoor activities that you could participte in.

TSV would prefer you to have a PLB than nothing at all!

The differences between EPIRBs and PLBs

Personal Location Beacons work in exactly the same way as EPIRBs by sending a coded message on the 406 MHz distress frequency which is relayed via the Cospas-Sarsat global satellite system.

However, there are a number of differences between them. PLBs are designed to be carried on the person so they are much smaller, some such as the Fast find are not much larger than the size of a mobile phone. PLBs are designed to be used anywhere in the world, on the sea and also on land. Some don't float but may come with an additional floatational sleeve which they should be carried in.

PLBs, once activated, will transmit for a minimum of 24 hours; while the battery life on an EPIRB is at least double (a minimum of 48 hours). An EPIRB is registered to a vessel, whereas a PLB is registered to a person. This means that if you are crewing a yacht and you switch to a new yacht the plb is still correctly registered; however, if you have an EPIRB and buy a new yacht you will need to re-register it when installing in your new boat.
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

Thanks for the post Erik, that was very informative.

A few things that stood out to me:
- The actual timeline after the PLB was activated. ie don't expect the Calvary to turn up for at least an hour.
- I suspect the re-entry issues were exacibated by having a SIK yak that can flood. I'm glad nearly all of us use SOT's.
- He may eventually have been able to reach shore unaided but by then the hypothermia may have done him in.
- EPIRB storage. Mines often in the hull. I'm confident of retrieving it but then there may be cases where this isn't possible. Back to the seat satchel for me then. Also my EPIRB is currently stored in a dry bag with my flares. I wonder if the dry bag would float or would the whole lot just sink to the bottom? I need to store the EPIRB by itself so it can float.
- I will be getting a PLB as well as the EPIRB. My worst case is falling off while sailing and watching the AI and EPIRB sailing off without me. This will need somewhere it can be above the water without me needing to hold it up for an hour in cold conditions, e.g. a head band.
- Reading the forecast, knowing your limits should all go without saying. Also having a backup plan for if you can't go where you want.
0408 565 763
erik the viking
Square eyes

shane wrote:Thanks for the post Erik, that was very informative.

A few things that stood out to me:
- The actual timeline after the PLB was activated. ie don't expect the Calvary to turn up for at least an hour.
- I suspect the re-entry issues were exacibated by having a SIK yak that can flood. I'm glad nearly all of us use SOT's.
- He may eventually have been able to reach shore unaided but by then the hypothermia may have done him in.
- EPIRB storage. Mines often in the hull. I'm confident of retrieving it but then there may be cases where this isn't possible. Back to the seat satchel for me then. Also my EPIRB is currently stored in a dry bag with my flares. I wonder if the dry bag would float or would the whole lot just sink to the bottom? I need to store the EPIRB by itself so it can float.
- I will be getting a PLB as well as the EPIRB. My worst case is falling off while sailing and watching the AI and EPIRB sailing off without me. This will need somewhere it can be above the water without me needing to hold it up for an hour in cold conditions, e.g. a head band.

Good points there Shane.
You've ventured out a bit more than most here on VYAK so your opinion is noted.

You're correct there about the activation time that's for sure.
A couple of efforts to re enter then activate your device asap.
Marine Rescue much prefer to pick up a wet and cold humbled survivor than a body!
As I said, TSV recommend a PLB, that is small enough, attached to the top shoulder of a PFD.
Most good ones have a attachment point for PLB's or radios...........
At that location it will usually be pointing up toward the satellites without human assistance.
That means you don't have to hold it up and waste energy!
If you can get an easy and safe way to transfer it to a headband or such maybe for the better.

Safe travels to you.
mingle
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: one

Post by mingle »

Standout for me was "Gusting to 29 knots" - I don't think that's any sort of conditions to head out in a kayak, even if it's your daily commute...
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

mingle wrote:Standout for me was "Gusting to 29 knots" - I don't think that's any sort of conditions to head out in a kayak, even if it's your daily commute...
I remember that. it was a bit of a freak wind that came through and even had a lot of the boats struggling to get back in.

My PLB is permanently on the shoulder strap of my PFD. That way I never forget it. Headband etc could easily see you not wearing it for one reason or another. Another good reason for flares and marine radio in the bays, as local assistance would not have been far away
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

mingle wrote:Standout for me was "Gusting to 29 knots" - I don't think that's any sort of conditions to head out in a kayak, even if it's your daily commute...
Gusting to 29 knots could have been a 15 knot recorded wind remember that gust can be twice the the forecast wind ( something to keep in mind for any new guys out there ) - even 15 knot would have been bumpy on a run out tide there with a WSW wind and would have been fairly uncomfortable fishing but many sea kayakers would take that in there stride
We spoke to the man after the ordeal about what went wrong despite his usual precautions.

Trip preparation

He had practised self rescue techniques including eskimo rolls and deep water re-entries.
He wears a lifejacket and carries a phone in a waterproof pouch, PLB and radar reflector on his kayak.
He had recently purchased a portable VHF radio, but it was not on board because the battery was flat.
He always lets his partner know his trip plans, and she was able to track the journey by his phone’s GPS.
He had considered an up to date forecast, and wind conditions matched the expected 25-28 knots W/SW. However, the weather and sea conditions were beyond his capability.
first point he had practised self rescue -- just as we all should but something that comes to mind here is how many practice in shitty conditions my guess most do it on nice sunny flat days , guess what you are more likely to end up in the water when conditions are less than ideal ( on our last Surf day I remounted twice in the surf zone with wave a lot worse than I expect to find on ether bay - how many others practice on bad days )

next I'm sure we all wear our lifejackets - I keep my phone in a dry pouch and that inside a dry bag

must say I don't normally take my VHF with me in the bays and only take it offshore maybe a rethink on that might be in order

next a fairly good point on partner being able to track the phone ( find my phone app would do that ) might look into that

the weather and sea conditions were beyond his capability.-- unfortunately we can all get caught out by the weather and not just the new guys a lot that have kayak fished for some time do push the envelope at times - match fitness and craft capability also come into play here

The PLB signal failed intermittently, either when the satellite was in a poor position or the PLB antenna was under water.
just a thought here is there a way of fitting a floating donut around a PLB to keep them afloat and upright - something like a piece of foam with a hole cut in it that could be assembled on the water if needed - that way a PLB could still be carried easy in a lifejacket but made into a floating unit on a lanyard if needed
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

All very interesting to a person intending to buy said equipment thanks Erik
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

Someone mentioned this product in another thread https://www.whitworths.com.au/sfty-o-sig-epirb-g if this was attached by a lanyard or some other way to you or an easy retrievable location on your yak then it could be the first line of rescue.
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
cotso
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie outback

Post by cotso »

Regardless of one's skill level/ experience, every craft has it's safe limitations. Beyond that you're kidding yourself.
BAYSIDE WOOD TURNING & SELF STORAGE. New 20 foot vented shipping containers, CCTV security.24/7 access, your own main gate code and your lock. $200 per month. Ph 5981-8411