Western re-entry practice

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Re: Western re-entry practice

Post by cheaterparts »

Seasherpa wrote:Did a few re-entries this morning myself in the surf at Point Roadnight.
Frustrating having to pull out of good waves because people can't swim between the flags. :evil:
how was the Pinnacle in the surf
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

cheaterparts wrote:
Seasherpa wrote:Did a few re-entries this morning myself in the surf at Point Roadnight.
Frustrating having to pull out of good waves because people can't swim between the flags. :evil:
how was the Pinnacle in the surf
It dropped off everything but the bigger waves, the steeper the better whereas Mozza could catch everything on the Fisha even from further back. Once on the wave is was stable as you like but the jets off the bow are just at my eye height so I have to paddle hunched down, it would be perfect for you though, they would go over your head.
So the verdict is bigger surf needed as it doesnt have the acceleration to get into the smaller ones. I think if it were bigger waves the Fisha would find its limit but the Pinny would come into its own.
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

Seasherpa wrote:It dropped off everything but the bigger waves, the steeper the better whereas Mozza could catch everything on the Fisha even from further back. Once on the wave is was stable as you like but the jets off the bow are just at my eye height so I have to paddle hunched down, it would be perfect for you though, they would go over your head.
So the verdict is bigger surf needed as it doesnt have the acceleration to get into the smaller ones. I think if it were bigger waves the Fisha would find its limit but the Pinny would come into its own.
sounds like a fun boat right where the wave stands up - how to make friends with the surfers
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
Franko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Dune AI, stealth Supalite X

Post by Franko »

maverick wrote:
inshorebrawler wrote:X2 confident with a mono hull not with the amas though.
AI's can tip, probably better to practice getting it up the right way when it isn't an emergency. You might want a couple of helpers to follow you out into deeper water to help if required. Some of the AI guys did a group session a while ago and posted about it on the Facebook AI Group page.

Date dependant I will be in sail and .
I spoke to a sailor Mav and he told me have rope handy tie it to the out riggers and lean back use your weight and leverage to upright it.
0401 314 820

Instagram Page Franko Fishes
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

inshorebrawler wrote:
maverick wrote:
inshorebrawler wrote:X2 confident with a mono hull not with the amas though.
AI's can tip, probably better to practice getting it up the right way when it isn't an emergency. You might want a couple of helpers to follow you out into deeper water to help if required. Some of the AI guys did a group session a while ago and posted about it on the Facebook AI Group page.

Date dependant I will be in sail and .
I spoke to a sailor Mav and he told me have rope handy tie it to the out riggers and lean back use your weight and leverage to upright it.
and if you don't have a spare rope handy, you can use the main sheet and tie that off. It still isn't easy in flat water on a nice day when you are expecting it.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

inshorebrawler wrote: Date dependant I will be in sail and .
Here's a demo Michael Carew put together a while back:

0408 565 763
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

That's the one, thanks Shane.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
time2fish
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: 2018 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Post by time2fish »

yeah ill be interested in coming
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

For righting an AI, some people keep a coiled up rope attached to each amma handle in case it's needed. On my Ai I have barber haulers that extend along each rear aka to improve the sail on downward runs. These could double nicely as chords to re-right after a capsize.

We should arrange an AI re-right/re-entry session while we're up at SWR. It's so much nicer doing re-entries in crystal clear 25C water. ;)
0408 565 763
chrisw
Square eyes
kayak: Dune PA14

Post by chrisw »

Anyone have any suggestions as to when we could hold this? It would be good if we can do it when as many of us as possible can attend at the same time.

If we choose to go right from the launch the weather won't be as influential as if we were out on the bay.

In case it helps I'm happy to offer use of our guest bathroom to anyone who wants to shower and get dry afterwards (I'm less than 500m from the launch).