Kayaker rescue balnarring

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Re: Kayaker rescue balnarring

Post by laneends »

Jacko wrote:
laneends wrote: Suddenly realizing your kayak is rapidly taking on water 2kms out can happen to anyone, happened to me. Just an amazing coincidence.
Happened to me once too, but not 2km out !
I damaged my scupper tubes when removing trolley during launch in the dark at Rickets without realising it.
By coincidence it was also my first pre sunrise launch with DIY heavy PVC tube light pole
Initially I thought the instability was caused by light pole, but a look inside the hatch deduced I was taking on water.

Rescued Kayaker stated on Facebook he may have damaged his hull last trip when retrieving yak off the rocks at Corinella.
IMHO If that was the case he would have started taking on water as soon as he launched, should have noticed change in stability soon after he launched and should have paddled safely back before he got 2km off shore !
Depends on size of leak. I was on water good half hour before I realised leak (fully submerged drain plug left open). Being dead calm I didn't notice any loss of stability, just saw it when I happened to open the hatch. Luckily I hadn't headed out wide straight away. Perfect conditions plus the ability to pedal and pump at the same time prevented similar fate. Though hull is full of bouyancy
djillusions24
Apprentice
kayak: JetOcean

Post by djillusions24 »

Our duty officer took the call for assistance, he had no safety equipment with him - someone on the beach noticed he was sinking and called it through. They stayed on the phone to provide updates.

I wasn't actually aware it was the same guy but totally not surprised!!
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Post by 4liters »

djillusions24 wrote:Our duty officer took the call for assistance, he had no safety equipment with him - someone on the beach noticed he was sinking and called it through. They stayed on the phone to provide updates.

it gets better lol

just as well he decided to sink within sight of land
laneends
Vyak Addict

Post by laneends »

djillusions24 wrote:Our duty officer took the call for assistance, he had no safety equipment with him - someone on the beach noticed he was sinking and called it through. They stayed on the phone to provide updates.

surprised he could be seen from shore.

Mr Beans kayak adventures
choppers
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: prowler elite 4.5

Post by choppers »

No safety gear does suprise me here. Was he out solo when tescued? Plot thickens
"Ye old town" Yak captures - gummy (116) salmon (32) flatty (35) yakka (28) silver trev (25) couta (38) plus all the garbage fish

Prowler victims - squid (30cm) Gar (36) Snapper (80 :yahoo: ) kgw (39)
4liters
PHD in Yakology.

Post by 4liters »

choppers wrote:

No safety gear does suprise me here. Was he out solo when tescued? Plot thickens
If you were doing an insurance job that’d be the way to do it...
laneends
Vyak Addict

Post by laneends »

choppers wrote:

At least it wasn't dead of night, now that would have been an issue
choppers
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: prowler elite 4.5

Post by choppers »

I personally know the bloke, even lined up the sale of the yak. Met him once for a fish and to get my paddle back and towed him out. Tried warning him away from tagreting large sharks whilst green and he didnt want to listen.
Unjoined his group chat after his attitude after first incident. The disregard for safety rules and his whole attitude put me off.
However insurance job would not be what happened in my opinion, couldn't think Brett would stoop that low to have airwing come out for a claim to afford a new yak and gear
"Ye old town" Yak captures - gummy (116) salmon (32) flatty (35) yakka (28) silver trev (25) couta (38) plus all the garbage fish

Prowler victims - squid (30cm) Gar (36) Snapper (80 :yahoo: ) kgw (39)
4liters
PHD in Yakology.

Post by 4liters »

choppers wrote:I personally know the bloke, even lined up the sale of the yak. Met him once for a fish and to get my paddle back and towed him out. Tried warning him away from tagreting large sharks whilst green and he didnt want to listen.
Unjoined his group chat after his attitude after first incident. The disregard for safety rules and his whole attitude put me off.
However insurance job would not be what happened in my opinion, couldn't think Brett would stoop that low to have airwing come out for a claim to afford a new yak and gear
Hanlon’s razor, eh?
erik the viking
Square eyes
kayak: 2015 Outback

Post by erik the viking »

4liters wrote: Hanlon’s razor, eh?
Gold! :yahoo: