Lights for snapper season

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
GoneFishn
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: OceanKayak Prowler Elite 4.5 "Calypso"

Re: Lights for snapper season

Post by GoneFishn »

Babylon wrote:
GoneFishn wrote:
vikodin wrote: Not sure what sounder your running but I've been forced to turn the brightness down on my last 2 lowrance sounders at night, otherwise I get blinded by it.
You should have a night time setting on the sounder. Mine (Garmin 300c) has it and it works really good but turning down the brightness would be just as affective. I still turn the brightness down in night mode.
As I have my sounder right in front of me I had the same problem at night, hate loosing what night vision I have.
At your age wouldn't be much would it Kelly. :evilgrin: :evilgrin: babylon. :bird:
My age :shock: mate you must be completely blind then :evilgrin: :bird:
Babylon
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: 2017 Hobie Revo 13, Hobie Compass Duo

Post by Babylon »

That's why I don't fish at night. :lol: :lol: babylon :thumbsup:
Scuttlebutt
Square eyes
kayak: Revolution. Pro Angler. 12. The Strong Hold.

Post by Scuttlebutt »

Thank's Drifta, Pardon the pun but cannot wait to see what you have come up with.
Looking forward to Christmas.
Scuba Sue.
PB. Safeway Banana Prawn's bought as Bait.
PB. Gummy Shark 83.5cm. No Microsurgery required to fillet this sucker.
PB. Scuttlebutts' Strong Hold.
Drifta-X
Yak Master
kayak: 2010 hobie outback

Post by Drifta-X »

Scuttlebutt wrote:Thank's Drifta, Pardon the pun but cannot wait to see what you have come up with.
Looking forward to Christmas.
Scuba Sue.
It's pretty nice, just to order remote unit now.
I survived the June 2012 Vyak server crash, just.
Tomcat
The force is strong in this one
kayak: none

Post by Tomcat »

thanks for the heads up on the remote drifta. i just ordered on for my light setup. will make things a bit easier than having to turn to flip the switch
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

Drifta-X wrote: It is totally waterproof, (lots of silicon and ip67 rated conections)
thats good cos if anyone can test water proofing it will be S/sue
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
Drifta-X
Yak Master
kayak: 2010 hobie outback

Post by Drifta-X »

cheaterparts wrote:
Drifta-X wrote: It is totally waterproof, (lots of silicon and ip67 rated conections)
thats good cos if anyone can test water proofing it will be S/sue
Ill test it myself first any way.
I survived the June 2012 Vyak server crash, just.
Widsa
Site Admin
kayak: Wavedance Kingfisher

Post by Widsa »

Bump.
Reminder to get your lights sorted again for this year gentleman.
Please use them, I only fish out of my stinker these days and dont want a death on my conscience or see anyone else hurt.

The other night I was cruising back in the dead of the night and a boat decided to flick his lights on when I was right up on him.
If he had waited any longer I would have run into him, had to alter my course fairly rapidly.
I dont understand why people fish in the night without lights, it really does my head in.
This guy was in a narrow area between eagle rock and Crawfish island so plenty of traffic going through there.
If he thought his anchor/ deck lights would scare a fish at 20 meters deep then he needs his head checked.

Most kayakers I see, especially on Westernport are very well lit up which is great and use flags during the day.
just a reminder to all to please check your lights after possibly not using them during the winter months.
Last thing you want is to have to come back in during a hot bite at sunset because your lights dont work.

Cheers and tight lines,

Widsa.

P.S there are some very big reds getting around now in the above mentioned areas.
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway
vicyak
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie PA 14

Post by vicyak »

Well said. I think most people on this forum are well educated about that. However please don't wait until too late. Last night had 2 yaks near me. James had great lighting. Just needs to be turned on a bit earlier. The other yak was out there until after I left all being shallow water pitch black. No lights. I knew where he was and could just make him out.

From a boaties perspective I was driving into the rain. actually hard on the eyes and making visibility even harder than normal at night.
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

Before i made my anchor light dimmable i use to use a solar garden light that i have foam around that fits snuggly into a rod holder on my box for fishing swan bay, i still had the bright light but it was turned off, swan bay being 2m max depth i found the more light less caught, now I've fitted a dimmer switch to the light so no need for the garden light however i still carry it and spare batteries in my box, just as a backup.
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm