orange safety flag

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
winchbitch
Lord of the fish
kayak: wavedancer kingfisher

Re: orange safety flag

Post by winchbitch »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bozzie
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Dune Pro Angler

Post by Bozzie »

Great comeback!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The Rubai-Yak of Hobie Khayyam
Mob: 0409234439

Wedge
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Hobie PA 12

Post by Wedge »

Hi fellas, being new to Kayaking, is there a particular height that you would suggest for the safety flag to be and is there commercial ones around? If there is what brand is recommended?

JeffG :up:
HaTTerS
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: None (temporarily)

Post by HaTTerS »

Wedge wrote:Hi fellas, being new to Kayaking, is there a particular height that you would suggest for the safety flag to be and is there commercial ones around? If there is what brand is recommended?

JeffG :up:
Yes there are commercial ones around.

My original flag & whip/pole was a bike flag bought from Kmart. I only used the top half of the whip which I attached to my lightpole so it sat up about 1750m above the hull. The flag itself was (IMO) small, so I replaced it with a bigger one I made out of HiVis vest.
My new flag is a Railblaza flag whip. It's 1200mm tall. The flag itself is a bit on the small side again but I'm sticking with it for the time being.

I'd suggest the height of your flag to be 1 meter minimum to 2 meters maximum.
Poised on the edge of sanity.
Wedge
kayak: Hobie PA 12

Post by Wedge »

Thanks HaTTerS for the information, I will take it on board.

JeffG :up: :up:
riv
Lord of the fish
kayak: Outback

Post by riv »

Ghurkin wrote:
cheaterparts wrote:just to add to the flag thread - I was out from Corinella a couple of saturdays ago and the wind got up and yes it was bumpy

a mate was out in his stink boat and saw me heading in it seams he picked me out by the orange work safety shirt I wear and my white paddles
my yellow kayak wasn't the first thing that he noticed and he was at a 90 deg angle to my kayak so had the most amount of yak was in veiw
with the seas being quite bumpy and the yak being close to the water it became invisable - this would have changed as he got closer
it seams the paddling with the white paddles stood out the best on the day but of cause it was over cast and the water would have looked dark

after noticing the paddles or that got his attention then my work shirt was noticed - it seams then he saw my white fishing hat so figured it was me

I thought it was interesting on what showed up first or got the attention of someone in a boat
Some good info there cheater :up:
Ive often thought a cheap easy diy especially if your paddling at night would be to attach orange reflectors to both sides of each paddle blade, it would certainly show up at night
Good points here I wonder if fluro paint on the blades would hold and make the yak more visible, the movement of the blade through the air would help get attention.

Cheers
GoneFishn
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: OceanKayak Prowler Elite 4.5 "Calypso"

Post by GoneFishn »

riv wrote:
Ghurkin wrote:
cheaterparts wrote:just to add to the flag thread - I was out from Corinella a couple of saturdays ago and the wind got up and yes it was bumpy

a mate was out in his stink boat and saw me heading in it seams he picked me out by the orange work safety shirt I wear and my white paddles
my yellow kayak wasn't the first thing that he noticed and he was at a 90 deg angle to my kayak so had the most amount of yak was in veiw
with the seas being quite bumpy and the yak being close to the water it became invisable - this would have changed as he got closer
it seams the paddling with the white paddles stood out the best on the day but of cause it was over cast and the water would have looked dark

after noticing the paddles or that got his attention then my work shirt was noticed - it seams then he saw my white fishing hat so figured it was me

I thought it was interesting on what showed up first or got the attention of someone in a boat
Some good info there cheater :up:
Ive often thought a cheap easy diy especially if your paddling at night would be to attach orange reflectors to both sides of each paddle blade, it would certainly show up at night
Good points here I wonder if fluro paint on the blades would hold and make the yak more visible, the movement of the blade through the air would help get attention.

Cheers
So are you going to be swinging your paddle above your head while your pedaling :x
Ghurkin
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie outback

Post by Ghurkin »

GoneFishn wrote:So are you going to be swinging your paddle above your head while your pedaling :x

Dude I'll stick reflectors to my nipples if I thought it would help, oh wait, Ive already done that :oops:
People laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at them because they're all the same.
riv
Lord of the fish
kayak: Outback

Post by riv »

GoneFishn wrote: So are you going to be swinging your paddle above your head while your pedaling :x
Not me mate I was thinking out loud for those of us that paddle however keep in mind I do have the Dag Tiwok that the missus paddles.

Cheers
Flash
kayak: Tell you when it grows up

Post by Flash »

Wow that truly makes a difference
No decent runs on the board YET. Watch this space