Seak Swift vs Glide Reflection

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
caffeine
kayak: Emotion Co Motion

Seak Swift vs Glide Reflection

Post by caffeine »

Hi Guys great forum for information.
I've been searching the site gathering info but thought I'd get some experiences or opinions on these two kayaks.
First of all I've been paddling with my 9 yr old son in a double yak for a bit now but he really wants to get his own yak, a single so I was looking at one of these. He's really into doing it up and planning the layout and i thought I would start with a blank canvas so we can do this project together and turn it into a fishing yak. He olny weight around 35kgs so thought these smaller yaks would be easy for him to handle on his own.
The Seak seems to have more reviews and info on the net and in Vyak however i like the layout of the Glide. Has good flat spots behind the seat for rod holders and an are at the front for Scotty style mounted holder and fish finder.
But anyway I would really appreciate your experiences.
Cheers.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Re: Seak Swift vs Glide Reflection

Post by laneends »

My first kayak was virtually a carbon copy of the Glide Reflection. It is fine for a 3m kayak. But they should not be for any sort of open water, even a stiff breeze on a lake. That said for a 9 year old I guess it is only going to be in safe sheltered conditions under supervision. Main difference between the brands of short kayaks is the storage hatches and layout.

Size is not about carrying capacity, its about being able to go in a straight line when the wind picks up. If he gets into it and you can afford it then looking for a decent 11-12 foot kayak would be better, even if second hand. The standard all rounder size is typically about 13 foot/4m mark.

My personal opinion is that 3m kayaks are a waste of time and money, due to their limitations, most people who get these either soon upgrade or give up. Unless its specifically for creek bashing as a second kayak.
caffeine
kayak: Emotion Co Motion

Post by caffeine »

Thanks I appreciate the reply. Most of our kayaking has been up around Eildon and into the trees jigging for Redfin. He's not going out alone in his yak. There will be myself and my wife in another yak or as we have done in Mallacoota, he launches off our boat.
He's very into DIYing it and seems to spend alot of time on the net getting ideas. They will make good projects for me and him to work on together over winter. He made a Mullet bait trap which he paddled off with to set in the shallows when we were in Mallacoota. When he retrieved it it was chock full of Mullet. So the yak is really not just to get out and about in but to encourage that creative mind.
Thanks again!
happyas
Lord of the fish
kayak: stealth evo 465

Post by happyas »

Hey Peter. I am most impressed with your efforts with your son. This is what family life is all about. Being a father/grandfather myself I know how important it is setting up these "togetherness" projects. Fishing/yakking is much better for kids to do than standing on a street corner looking for dubious entertainment. Full points 10/10. Good luck with the kayak choice.
Jacko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by Jacko »

G'day Peter,
Welcome to Vyak.
I don't have any experience with either the seak swift or the glide reflection, but I do see a lot more seak on the water being used by younger paddlers.
I suggest you take your son to a couple of shops and sit in different models and let your son use his creative mind to imagine which has the layout he would prefer to fit out and also which has better access to fit out.
Keep in mind your son has a bit of growing to do in his teens so if it is to be a longer term investment go for a longer yak that will be more versatile later.
On the other hand a shorter one fitted out now and used in safe locations could become his second yak he uses for creek bashing or getting up those narrow inlets at Eildon in years to come after he convinces you he needs another more versatile yak.

Good luck with the decision and the project - and as Larry said - 10/10.
Which ever make or model you get make sure you understand its and your sons limits and paddle safely.
mingle
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: one

Post by mingle »

Another one to keep an eye out for is the Ocean Kayaks Venus 11.

It's marketed for smaller/lighter paddlers, but it can take me (I'm currently 85kgs).

It's light (a shade over 19kgs), stable and relatively fast for such a smallish yak.

Downside is they're hard to come by. Here's a little pic I compiled a while back when I was also shopping for a smaller kayak:
small_kayak_comparison1.jpg