tranducer in hull

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
Toady king
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Waterdance Kingfisher

tranducer in hull

Post by Toady king »

hey guys, I'm going to set up my fish finder tonight or tomorrow. anyways with the tranducer, im planning on gluing it inside the hull of my kayak but, for it to work, do I need water in my hull for my tranducer to read correctly? or will just having my kayak in the water when fishing be enough ?
a quick fish can be between 1-8 hours
winchbitch
Lord of the fish
kayak: wavedancer kingfisher

Re: tranducer in hull

Post by winchbitch »

Keep the water on the outside Toady :evilgrin:
Toady king
kayak: Waterdance Kingfisher

Post by Toady king »

winchbitch wrote:Keep the water on the outside Toady :evilgrin:
okay thanks mal :thumbsup:
a quick fish can be between 1-8 hours
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

Have a search back through past poasts and you will find a lot of info on transducer mounting. eg http://vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1 ... ex#p245735. You will also find youtube videos showing how its done.

Most popular method is to use silicon/all clear/marine goop/sikaflex etc to connect the transducer to the base of the hull inside a cut-out foam block or similar. It's important to make sure there is no air gaps or bubbles between the transducer and hull or you will get poor/false readings.
0408 565 763
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

The adhesive acts like water
Digger
Vyak Addict
kayak: Tinny, Piers anywhere I can!

Post by Digger »

A puddle of Selly's "All Clear" provides a suitable medium for the signals to pass through and through the hull. Try not to leave any air in it or that will disrupt signals to the head.

It will take a few days to cure this time of year .
grt1
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: orange kingfisher, red 2014 Revo11

Post by grt1 »

Zak, if you go the silicon option glue a piece of foam inside to the bottom of the yak with a cut out just a bit bigger than the transducer. head off down to bunnings and look for some silicon made by sikaflex used for concrete joints. This stuff is like honey and self levels. Just put some in the gap and press the transducer in. if you need extra just top up and any air bubbles just come to the surface and disappears. Works a treat and only about 24hours drying time.

Geoff
Geoff
0409 233 445
zarbs
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by zarbs »

I use a wet mount for my Garmin for the last 3+ years. I use about 1/2 cup of water (at max) and it stays in for ages, I top it up about maybe every 6 mths or if the finder reading goes wonky, push the transducer back in and it pushes out the excess and no air bubbles :yahoo: , even though the kayak is transported upside down it has not fallen out or leaked out. I Marine gooped 2 Hobie fish finder installation pads pn 72021011 (which were a perfect fit & seal for the transducer) together (to give more depth) and gooped them to the hull (after cleaning with Acetone) I taped & bricked them down to make sure of a good fit and left for a good 48hrs to cure. You could buy some high density foam and cut out your own hole to suit your transducer, making sure it is a neat fit.

I tried the silastic mount first with little success, getting the air out was a bit of a problem for me. The wet mount lets me transfer the fish finder between mine and my mates yak if needed.

I have a couple of pictures if you are interested, PM me your email address and I can send em to you (I din't know how to post on here).

zarbs
happyas
Lord of the fish
kayak: stealth evo 465

Post by happyas »

Hi Zak. The search box is your friend. there have been wet mount in hull transducer installations done a few times before and written about in the forum. Have a search.
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

zarbs wrote:I use a wet mount for my Garmin for the last 3+ years. I use about 1/2 cup of water (at max) and it stays in for ages, I top it up about maybe every 6 mths or if the finder reading goes wonky, push the transducer back in and it pushes out the excess and no air bubbles :yahoo: , even though the kayak is transported upside down it has not fallen out or leaked out. I Marine gooped 2 Hobie fish finder installation pads pn 72021011 (which were a perfect fit & seal for the transducer) together (to give more depth) and gooped them to the hull (after cleaning with Acetone) I taped & bricked them down to make sure of a good fit and left for a good 48hrs to cure. You could buy some high density foam and cut out your own hole to suit your transducer, making sure it is a neat fit.

I tried the silastic mount first with little success, getting the air out was a bit of a problem for me. The wet mount lets me transfer the fish finder between mine and my mates yak if needed.

I have a couple of pictures if you are interested, PM me your email address and I can send em to you (I din't know how to post on here).

zarbs

If you buy a tube of ultrasound gel from ebay and use it in place of the water you won't have to refill the well at all. :thumbsup: