first time yak help

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
Hyperx
Apprentice
kayak: none

Re: first time yak help

Post by Hyperx »

the snowboard jacket is really light and not really bulky. its wind resistant and water proof and have these underarm zippers that i can open to let air in.
ill just give it a shot and if it works great. if it doesnt than well, ill get something else
i think ill try tomorrow from elwood boat ramp in the afternoon. the wind is south around 10km
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

My 2 cents worth, would you go for a swim in snowboarding gear, because if you fall in, that is what you will be doing.

Dress to survive in the water, not on the kayak.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
Hyperx
Apprentice

Post by Hyperx »

does anyone have a recommendation for installing a rod holder? a bit scared to drill a hole into the yak
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Hyperx wrote:does anyone have a recommendation for installing a rod holder? a bit scared to drill a hole into the yak
spend a fair it of time googling images for kayak rod holder set ups. There are many types and many ways. The most important thing is to make sure it doesn't interfere with paddle stroke. if worse comes to worse you put a screw hole where you dont want it, just plug it with a self tapping screw (stainless)
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

Use a holesaw but not a cheap one, l would sugest getting the arbor and saw from an industrial supplies not a hardware. measure the outside of the holder flush with the mount just below the mounting plate ( parallel to to the mounting plate) eg: a 45mm hole measured @15° would be about closer to 50 mm this is the size of holesaw needed use any drill at highish speed to dril a 2.5 mm pilot hole aapproximately where you want the holder then check location, once your happy then use holesaw to cut the hole, important dont use high speed as this will melt the plastic and always drill at 90° hence why you use the bigger diameter holesaw, however if you wanna be fussy buy the saw that suits the od of the holder drill the hole then carefully using a corse rasp file the hole on two side to make it ovel.
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
choppers
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: prowler elite 4.5

Post by choppers »

Hyperx wrote:does anyone have a recommendation for installing a rod holder? a bit scared to drill a hole into the yak

What type of fishing do you normally do? Soft plastics, baits??
Cheaterparts can make up some rod holders to fit a prowler without drilling... I love my setup but it's pretty custom for bait fishing at anchor
"Ye old town" Yak captures - gummy (116) salmon (32) flatty (35) yakka (28) silver trev (25) couta (38) plus all the garbage fish

Prowler victims - squid (30cm) Gar (36) Snapper (80 :yahoo: ) kgw (39)
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

I've seen rocket launcher style rod holders home made with pvc pipe that i assume fit into hmm forget the name so i will call them drain holes lol
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

rod holders are a personal thing - first think about how you are going to use your yak - most of the guys I fish with fit something to mount rod holders forward so while at anchor your rods are in easy reach and you can see the rod tips

I have made up a few different sets for various guys and a lot has to do with the way they set them selfs up - as Chppers said I did his hod holder set up

on my own Prowler 4.3 I have 4 forward mounted rod holders and didn't drill any holes to fit them just mounted a rack to the std 5 mm threaded inserts that were in the hull
with a 3 mm allen key my rod holders can be removed in a couple of minutes as an assembly
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

Easy, one I made for my second paddle yak; http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php ... led#p15143
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
Hyperx
Apprentice

Post by Hyperx »

choppers wrote:

What type of fishing do you normally do? Soft plastics, baits??
Cheaterparts can make up some rod holders to fit a prowler without drilling... I love my setup but it's pretty custom for bait fishing at anchor
for the most part i plan to do mostly lures and only bait fish for kgw which i do plan on trying out extensively.

but really for the most part lure is what i plan on doing so perhaps the default kayak rod holder hole would be enough? i was kind of scared of losing the rod in case i tip it over