Snapper Rigs?

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
outback paul
Square eyes
kayak: Revo 13

Snapper Rigs?

Post by outback paul »

With Snapper season just around the corner, and the excitement growing, I thought it might be interesting and also helpful to find out what sort of rigs and terminal tackle you guys will be using when it all kicks off. Although all of this information will be available somewhere on the forum, with so many newbies joining us all the time, it might be helpful to have some tips on a new thread devoted to snapper.
For example:
What size of hook is ideal for snapper, and would you use the same hook in different areas?
If you were targeting gummy shark, but also wanted the chance of a snapper too, would a 7/0 hook be too big?
What would be your preferred rig in different areas?

Any thoughts would be welcome. Best wishes for the coming season to you all, Paul
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Re: Snapper Rigs?

Post by Seasherpa »

J hooks for me in both bays early season for tentative biters, switching to standard gummy set-up later in the season with 7/0 or 8/0 circles.
Standard running sinker rigs for WP, Port Phillip its usually no sinker or split shot.

Chasing pinkies I'll either use soft plastics or a paternoster with pippi/squid, similar setup to what I'd use for whiting.
westy
Lord of the fish
kayak: hobie compass and adventure island

Post by westy »

Hey Paul, hope you are good :) .
Well an assortment of rigs for me, depending where l am fishing,but for bait the standard running sinker rig for me, though l have changed down to 3/0 suicide hooks, due to the fact that large whiting are now a by catch :up: , but if using big baits then a 5/0 or 6/0 .
Do find myself trolling hard bodies a lot more now, and soft plastics and plan to use live bait quite a bit more this year,and the hoodlum hook in a 6/0 is the go,sick of seeing the Kings and not having a bait out :evilgrin:
vicyak
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie PA 14

Post by vicyak »

I posted a few months ago. Really depends where but this setup works for North PPB where currents aren't an issue

http://vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=23778

Twin hook setup using unit knot bottom hook to top hook snell knot. Size 5/0 or 6/0 circles for me. Sometimes I use a J hook on top. About 100cm of leader to the swivel. Use the lightest sinker possible. Pea size. Whole Pilly or squid.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Ball of string with a rock tied on the end if you want to have the success that I had last season on snapper. :roll:

Only decent pinky/snapper i caught was on a squid jig :shock:

Problem with big hooks for snapper is that you either catch a big one or none, and unless you are one of the talented folks its usually none.
vicyak
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie PA 14

Post by vicyak »

Hence Mid December to April I go down in size in hooks. Size 3 or 4. Also having some premade rigs ready allows you to swap over depending on what is biting. I personally would rather loose 10 pinkies from 30-40cm and catch one around 70cm. If you are using big piece of squid go larger hooks. The pinkies tend to leave the squid alone but the larger models will have a go. Hence why I use different baits at the same time.
Kiwidundee
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback...Thunder Child

Post by Kiwidundee »

Is it snapper season again :evilgrin: :evilgrin: :evilgrin: 4/0 circles while using silver whiting. Up to 6/0 in squid heads.
My mobile 0428917691

PB...Snapper 81cm Ricketts Point, Black Marlin bigger than your yak SWR, Flathead 60cm Sunnyside, Whiting 46cm Flinders, Gummy shark 124cm Reef Island, Sth Calamari 41cm hood length Flinders.
naam
Apprentice
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by naam »

For me, I would use 4in to 5in soft plastic with 3/0 to 5/0 1/4oz jig head.
outback paul
Square eyes
kayak: Revo 13

Post by outback paul »

Thanks Guys for your input, and Brian for the link to your earlier snapper post which I'd missed (very informative).

I was also very interested in some comments on another thread regarding single hooks versus trebles when trolling HB's, particularly as I've done very little trolling up until now. Wish I didn't buy that pack of expensive trebbles last week, as it certainly must be a lot easier (and less painful) removing a single from the mouth of an angry snapper.
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

outback paul wrote:Thanks Guys for your input, and Brian for the link to your earlier snapper post which I'd missed (very informative).

I was also very interested in some comments on another thread regarding single hooks versus trebles when trolling HB's, particularly as I've done very little trolling up until now. Wish I didn't buy that pack of expensive trebbles last week, as it certainly must be a lot easier (and less painful) removing a single from the mouth of an angry snapper.
Just put the trebles to one side for a mackerel trip later :evilgrin: