Terminal Tackle: Buying your bits and pieces

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
Reeling
Lord of the fish
kayak: Stealth PF 525

Terminal Tackle: Buying your bits and pieces

Post by Reeling »

Hey guys,

I've had a few searches but I havent managed to find it anywhere, so was hoping to tap into the brains here :evilgrin:

Where do you all buy your terminal tackle from. Is there a best/cheapest place to buy your swivels, clips, hooks, weights, jigheads etc. or does is it just depend on where's having a sale?

Also, would you mind sharing recommended makes for all the essentials. I'd rather buy quality and have trust in it so names of tried and tested makes would help me look out for when they're on sale.

Anyone got that "definitive" list - subject to opinion :lol:

Cheers,

Nath
Tuna 20.5kg ---KingFish 90cm --- Snapper 84cm --- Gummy 83cm (55cm legal) ---- Whiting 40cm --- Silver Trevelly 41cm --- Flathead 52cm --- Aussie Salmon 38cm --- Squid 34cm hood

Facebook Page Reeling Fish
Instagram Page Reeling Fish
vicyak
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie PA 14

Re: Terminal Tackle: Buying your bits and pieces

Post by vicyak »

Nathan I've always go by spending the best quality the closer to the fish so teminal tackle take no shortcuts.
- So hooks need to be the best quality you can get (I use Gamakatsu circles for snapper)
- Leader (use Flurocarbon, don't use Mono trace)
- Swivels (Use good quality barrel swivels) - They are actually smaller and actually swivel well compared to some of the other swivels.

Others can argue about reels and rods but I don't take short cuts with the terminal tackle.
FYI - My biggest snapper was caught on a 30+ year old rod/reel combo which would have been an elcheapo. Was collecting dust for many years never serviced. However the terminal tackle was top notch.

I've learnt this lesson. Many years ago before I had much of my own gear I went out with father in law and his terminal tackle was purchased from the local market. Very cheap stuff. Best session on Snapper I've ever had with fish which were bending our hooks. Landed lots of massive snapper (80cm) but we know there were 9-10kg models in the mix but we had no chance. I will never make that mistake again when they day comes again. My father in law had never had a day like this 20+ years so I'm hoping it comes again.
Last edited by vicyak on 29 Aug 2017, 10:16, edited 1 time in total.
mingle
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: one

Post by mingle »

KMart, Big-W for hooks , swivels, mono, etc. Never had any issues with the quality/strength.

Lures, braid from ebay (China). Again, never suffered any sub-standard quality.

Never bothered with fluro, just a con imo...

Mike.
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Post by 4liters »

Rigmaster is my go-to for terminal tackle. Have a look on Google. He does sinkers too but you have to pick them up.
Leader I usually get from dinga, you can buy those 250m spools of Berkley vanish fluorocarbon, much cheaper per meter than the little 20m spools.
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

mingle wrote:
Never bothered with fluro, just a con imo...

Mike.
Funny thing here is when when dear old dad was teaching me to fish 50 + years ago no one used fluro leaders and to every one surprise fish were caught and by the bucket loads
So I tend to agree with Mingle here - in fact we didn't buy leader it was normally just mono off the remains of the spool that didn't fit on a reel when it was being reloaded

worth a read https://activeanglingnz.com/2016/01/04/ ... rbon-myth/
4liters wrote:Rigmaster is my go-to for terminal tackle. Have a look on Google. He does sinkers too but you have to pick them up.
I also have used Riggies gear with out any problems - in fact a lot of gummies have come my way with his inline circles

one thing I do use though and swear b y is Owner mitu circles in size no 6 for smaller species ( whiting and pinkies ) I think the fine wire sets really well and are worth spending a bit for
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

x3 on Rigmaster for general Terminal Tackle. They have a good fluorocarbon that's not too bulky, great swivels, ezi-rigs, beads/lumo etc. Their penotrate hooks are OK but fairly heavy wire, great for sharks and big snapper but maybe not the best for pinkies. I don't bother with their pre-made rigs as I prefer to make my own simpler rigs as needed.
0408 565 763
vicyak
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie PA 14

Post by vicyak »

Having a quick look at the Rigmaster website and came across this product. I've seen everything now.

https://rigmastertackle.com/product/fis ... or-idf-m1/
Reeling
Lord of the fish
kayak: Stealth PF 525

Post by Reeling »

Thanks for the tips guys.

I'll take a looksie at the sites and get ordering ;)
Tuna 20.5kg ---KingFish 90cm --- Snapper 84cm --- Gummy 83cm (55cm legal) ---- Whiting 40cm --- Silver Trevelly 41cm --- Flathead 52cm --- Aussie Salmon 38cm --- Squid 34cm hood

Facebook Page Reeling Fish
Instagram Page Reeling Fish
westy
Lord of the fish
kayak: hobie compass and adventure island

Post by westy »

l am with cheater, tried fluorocarbon, even on my trout set ups, and found no difference between ordinary mono.
Hooks that l use a lot of 3/0,6/0 re snapper and gummys, just buy in bulk, dinga or kmart.
Do use good circles for whiting trout etc, and good swivels.
Like mono best, think braid is a waste of time, has no effect on catch rate, in fact seem to catch more on mono :evilgrin:
Sinkers once again kmart, sinker is a sinker.
Digger
Vyak Addict
kayak: Tinny, Piers anywhere I can!

Post by Digger »

I use fluoro all the time and have direct comparisons which show it superior in shallow water, bright light, fishing for bream, over and over.

Tackle comes from K Mart when they are not sold out on sizes I want.