Fishfinders

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Fishfinders

Post by peatop »

Hi guys,
Firstly thanks for your help, going to look at the maverick 13 next week, my next project is a fishfinder, i understand the need for gps so my question is what brand and what type, size. And any extras you think are needed/helpful.
Also if transducer is in hull mounted does the water temp feature work and how accurate.
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
Franko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Dune AI, stealth Supalite X

Re: Fishfinders

Post by Franko »

Garmin striker series, it does not have maps with depth and contours but works well to pin point your location, speed and launch. Leaving a bread trail to find your way back.
0401 314 820

Instagram Page Franko Fishes
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

The common lowrence is the hook 4. There is a big price jump from basic sounder without gps and with gps. in lowrence no gps is indicated in model number by letter "x" eg 4x rather than 4

Water temp wont be accurate unless in the water. Even a wet mount in hull will be deceptive as the temp of hull heats up on sunny day. Its the least important indicator anyway as there is nothing you can do about it.
cobby
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie i9s

Post by cobby »

inshorebrawler wrote:Garmin striker series, it does not have maps with depth and contours but works well to pin point your location, speed and launch. Leaving a bread trail to find your way back.
And if you do need maps then the echomap series has inbuilt maps that are more than adequate without the need for a map card. In my opinion (and quite a few others) Garmin offer better sonar performance over lowrance (I say that having lowrance on the kayak, had lowrance hds in the old mans boat which was replaced by a Garmin echomap)
Fish aholic
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie outback

Post by Fish aholic »

The new Garmin striker range will have built in maps at a reasonable price if you can wait, checkout the Garmin site. I picked up the std model for $180 for the stealth on the weekend only because I use a handheld job and just swap it between the2 yaks and boat.
Adrian
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Ivory Dune Revo 11

Post by Adrian »

Happy with the Garmin Striker in the Revo. BCF have them on special from time to time.
time2fish
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: 2018 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Post by time2fish »

this one is for sale for $159 if your a member .not sure if i should wait or but this hmmmmm
http://www.bcf.com.au/Product/Garmin-St ... der/403892
Adrian
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Ivory Dune Revo 11

Post by Adrian »

time2fish wrote:this one is for sale for $159 if your a member .not sure if i should wait or but this hmmmmm
http://www.bcf.com.au/Product/Garmin-St ... der/403892
That's the one. Great value. Works well off 10 Aldi AA rechargables or a Li-ion pack.