Portarlington Newbie

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
Peterlee
kayak: Osprey fishing kayak

Portarlington Newbie

Post by Peterlee »

Hi all

Recently moved to Portarlington from Melbourne and have brought myself a new fishing kayak to settle into my new relaxed way of life.

Wondering if there are any Bellarine locals that can give me some tips on some good fishing spots and lures that have worked well. Also real keen to meet any local yakers that would be interested in taking me out on the water. Haven’t had the opportunity to meet too many locals yet.

Also if anyone knows of some work going in the Bellarine area that they recommend, I would be most greatful.
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Re: Portarlington Newbie

Post by peatop »

Hi peter, meet Peter lol
Im in clifton springs only a newby myself but learning fast (never fast enough though). Im going to guess that your kayak is 2.7m?
This is what i started with was awesome fun, however very limiting as my style required 4m+, jump in read the safety section and join in the gossip, if you want to chase some squid, flatties or whiting your in the rite area, snapper gummies and alike you might need a bigger kayak to be safe and comfortable, found this and had a laugh ;)
Drill powered outboard motor for yak.jpg
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
ratfish
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Outback + mini x + AI

Re: Portarlington Newbie

Post by ratfish »

I've got a van down at Portarlington so get out fairly regularly when work plays nice. If I'm after a feed of flatties - taildancers trolled pretty much anywhere along the 2-5mtr line will generally do the job. You've got the artificial reef out from the pier(never done overly well there) mussel farms as well as grassy point a little further down, The new pier structure is worth a session with plastics as well, picked up a few bigger pinkies and pike lately. Or head back towards Geelong and point richards and clifton springs are always worth a look in. Pt Richards is nice and simple head to the edge of the sand bar and go. As pea said check the safety section and know your limits. Moving house and changing roles at work so I don't imagine I'll be down until boxing day at the earliest, will post up any trips I plan and you're welcome to come along.