Redhot fishing charter - do not use them

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
gloseto
Apprentice
kayak: Hobie Ouback

Redhot fishing charter - do not use them

Post by gloseto »

Hi people.
If you are thinking on taking a fishing charter for yourself or for overseas visitors like I did, please Do Not use redhot fishing charters (http://www.redhotfishingcharters.com.au)
I have used many different charters in the past, and this is the first time when the experience was so so so bad that i feel compelled to let other people know so they don’t use this charter in the future.

Why do I say this. Multiple reasons
- we got on the boat and there was no safety talk. You may argue that this is a formality, however it it regulation so they had to do it.
- it was kind of rough on the way to the first fishing spot. I am fairly used to the water and I had to be careful. Imagine how challenging was for my 75 year old dad. He almost fell down twice.. and not even a word or check from simon the captain...
By the way I think that was his name because I can’t recall him telling us whether this was the case.
- because it was rough , my 2 cousins got sick and vomited. Thanks fully they felt better later on. One would think the captain would check in the customers.... well not even that.
- we were a party of 4 , 3 of us had never fished before... so I got left with showing them what to do because simon didn’t do any demonstration nor got the fish off the hooks... you know very basic stuff but he couldn’t be bothered.
- here comes the icing to the cake.. I am an eager fisherman, and I was keen to check the sounder and gps, ... it turned out that I upset him so much, that he said, mate you are Fuc..ing annoying me ( excuse the French but that’s what he said )... he also said, mate i wouldn’t be looking at your computer over your shoulder if you were at your office.... he is probably right, perhaps I annoyed him. This is the thing, it is not what it was said but how it was said... I will certainly not tell off somebody like he did, little less a customer... he needs to learn some manners and understand the meaning of hospitality which is the business he is in.
- and last but not least, he brought us back to port 30 minutes ahead of time... of course no refund for the time lost.

This is also the thing, they charge $150 per head...no sausage sizzle and as you can see ridicously bad service. You join the dots.

It is a shame because this behaviour gives a bad reputation to a service and industry that it is tough, so thanksfully there are other charter that will give you a really good experience for a better price.

I do hope you read this review and take ir into account in case you are looking for a fishing charter.
Cheers
G
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Re: Redhot fishing charter - do not use them

Post by 4liters »

Not much the skipper can do about rough weather.

Also charter operators are generally very unwilling to give away any information about their spots, you can understand as this is their source of income and they have no wish rock up one day and find their marks full of parked boats. I have seen some operators say they'll end the charter right then and there and go home if they spot anyone using a GPS.

Sucks about the other stuff though
Hvalross
Lord of the fish
kayak: Yellow Hobie Pro 14

Post by Hvalross »

4liters wrote:Not much the skipper can do about rough weather.

Also charter operators are generally very unwilling to give away any information about their spots, you can understand as this is their source of income and they have no wish rock up one day and find their marks full of parked boats. I have seen some operators say they'll end the charter right then and there and go home if they spot anyone using a GPS.

Sucks about the other stuff though
Agree.

Seems to me the OP did not do enough research before committing. Not all boats are run by folks that have high levels of professional charter skills. Those that do charge accordingly.

Old saying pay peanuts and get monkey........more true today than ever.
When all else fails........read the instructions!
Studies have shown that people who have more Birthdays tend to live longer...
mingle
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: one

Post by mingle »

Bearing in mind that the only point of contact that 99% of people booking a charter have is the website, or other advertisement, how can you blame the OP?

I've had a look at the website for the above mentioned charter and nowhere does it say "We guarantee you a rude and unprofessional trip!"

I'd hardly call $150 pp peanuts...

Mike.
Last edited by mingle on 31 Dec 2017, 18:47, edited 1 time in total.
Hvalross
Lord of the fish

Post by Hvalross »

mingle wrote:Baring in mind that the only point of contact that 99% of people booking a charter have is the website, or other advertisement, how can you blame the OP?

I've had a look at the website for the above mentioned charter and nowhere does it say "We guarantee you a rude and unprofessional trip!"

I'd hardly call $150 pp peanuts...

Mike.
You are assuming they were in fact rude.
How can I blame the OP.......Where to start, hire a guide and expect tuition, and a nurse on call and perhaps tucker.
Hire a charter, that is third party provides boat and drive, some provide bait.

Research :-

Get as much background info as possible many sources available.
Call and speak to them....ask questions, sort out whats supplied and whats not.....

Finally, were I to be in that mind about anything I purchased i'd be too bloody embarrased to bag the operator for the supposed failings outlined in the post......buyer beware!

Again do you actually know that the operator was rude or are you simply taking the OP'S report as fact.
Windknot
Lord of the fish
kayak: Malibu Mini X & Native Watercraft Propel

Post by Windknot »

https://www.truelocal.com.au/business/r ... ers/carrum

Not what I would call "good' reviews.
There's only a fine distinction between fly fishing and standing on the bank looking like an idiot.
bunyip
Square eyes
kayak: Prowler 13 and Cole 23 floating bordello

Post by bunyip »

Conversely we went out on a seal watching trip with some interstate visitors and they were just the opposite, asked everyone if they suffered from seasickness and how to counter it, where the bags were and where to find everything on board.
The crew were informative and answered questions and after wallowing around seal rocks for over 30 minutes the skipper announced it was time to head back but he spotted what could be whales some 3km away and would like to go and have a look if it was OK with everyone.
It was and it turned out to be dolphins but he did go over and above and did ask permission, we got back about 20 minutes late and everyone was fine with it.
Couple of bigger waves as we left Westernport and he announced that they were coming and ready ourselves.
To me that is a sure way to get plenty of repeat business.
https://www.wildlifecoastcruises.com.au ... -watching/
Maybe they could learn something.
cotso
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie outback

Post by cotso »

The OP has posted a review that was unfavorable to the charter, it's his review and it's good he put it up. If someone is looking for a charter and this comes up it may make you look further into it. No need to cast aspersions on his review.
BAYSIDE WOOD TURNING & SELF STORAGE. New 20 foot vented shipping containers, CCTV security.24/7 access, your own main gate code and your lock. $200 per month. Ph 5981-8411
Hvalross
Lord of the fish

Post by Hvalross »

The same post also appears in the Breamaster forum. Its not a bad reviwe its an appeal to cause a boycott because he's unable to take responsibility himself.
I am 71 and if I fall its my own fool fault. If the man is unstable on his feet then perhaps a charter on the bay in a high powered craft was an unwise choice. Not Simons fault the cousins got seasick, nore is it his responsibity to minister to them.

Petulance at its very worst IMHO.

Equally entitled to my opinion.....if its bad form for me to react in the negative, then its equally bad form to respond to my opinion in the negative too......or is that too cerebral?
cotso
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie outback

Post by cotso »

Some people run a successful business because they pay attention to detail and put in the extra care that some customers need. Customers are not all experts at what they are paying you to do for them and it's the above mentioned details that if shown to all customers will be what brings good reviews and continued custom. Not too cerebral really.
BAYSIDE WOOD TURNING & SELF STORAGE. New 20 foot vented shipping containers, CCTV security.24/7 access, your own main gate code and your lock. $200 per month. Ph 5981-8411