First post - roof topping

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
bunyip
Square eyes
kayak: Prowler 13 and Cole 23 floating bordello

Re: First post - roof topping

Post by bunyip »

I have an 8 x 5 trailer with a cage, had it made with a 6' drawbar so there is no overhang, I put two cross bars on the cage and put those foam tubes over them to sit the yak on, the foam I think was from Clark Rubber and cost about $35, a rigid square foam that you see on roof racks.
Bit of a bugger to get on and found it easiest to slide it onto the tube then grab the foam and ram it into a block of wood on the ground bit like driving a fence post in, moves about an inch at a time but eventually gets there.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

bunyip wrote:I have an 8 x 5 trailer with a cage, had it made with a 6' drawbar so there is no overhang, I put two cross bars on the cage and put those foam tubes over them to sit the yak on, the foam I think was from Clark Rubber and cost about $35, a rigid square foam that you see on roof racks.
Bit of a bugger to get on and found it easiest to slide it onto the tube then grab the foam and ram it into a block of wood on the ground bit like driving a fence post in, moves about an inch at a time but eventually gets there.
I slit mine, wrapped around than gaffa taped the seam with some zip ties to boot.
Jacko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by Jacko »

In case you decide to stay with trailer & remove overhang.
I got picked up interstate 10 years ago for towing an unregistered trailer (Not carrying a yak at time).
Decided to ask Cheaterparts to fabricate an extendable drawbar for my 6x4 box trailer and then registered it as an extended drawbar box trailer.
I mounted a support for near bow to the extended drawbar.
Two other supports on the 6x4 box.
Result - Legally registered 6x4 box trailer with no overhang if loaded with yak.
Very easy to load & no need to tip the yak upside down to load it.
Last edited by Jacko on 28 Mar 2018, 21:37, edited 1 time in total.
bunyip
Square eyes
kayak: Prowler 13 and Cole 23 floating bordello

Post by bunyip »

I heard the story about a holidaymaker who got done for having a canoe on a 6x4 at Eildon many years ago, I worked for the TAC for a while and met the then Sgt who issued the fine, he told me that the police were conducting roadside safety checks and breathalysers when one particularly surly prick decided to give the police a hard time, the usual why don't you leave us alone and go and catch crims etc etc.
After putting up with this tirade for about ten minutes he got a ticket for an unregistered boat trailer, had he have shut up nothing would have happened.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

tightlines wrote:Hi Ben

Don’t quote me on this; my understanding of this matter is that on a standard 6x4 trailer you cannot have any overhang. But if it’s registered, you can have overhang. So I registered my 6x4 and transported my PA14 for six years like that with no issues. Rego was about $60 a year and a darn sight easier than car topping!

Like I said, don’t quote me on this; you may wish to investigate further.
http://vic.canoe.org.au/wp-content/uplo ... ion_v2.pdf
Not quite true. Use search button there is extensive discussions on this. It's based on axle distance overhang. Typically for an unmodified trailer it is about 200m. However anything longer than 3m total trailer length including overhang needs to be registered