Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
anth0ny
Apprentice
kayak: Lovig Maverick

Re: New Member

Post by anth0ny »

Hi guys,

Thanks for the responses and advice.

I found a SH maverick pretty cheap, used a couple of times which I have put a deposit down on and will pick it up next week. To start off with, I will be not going to far and on outrageous trips until I get the hang of it and work out my best setup what will suit me.
I will fish for squid, flatties and whiting to start off with, then once I have my experience up, I will move up to chasing gummies and snapper.

I am pretty happy with the purchase, I’m not in it for speed, but a nice paddle and freelancing fish.

I still would like to tag along to any guys on here who organise some trips, for both experience and safety.

Cheers
Brett
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Kingfisher

Post by Brett »

Hi Anthony, we are located in Rosebud and plan on fishing the same areas you’ve mentioned. Currently just getting anchor trolley and anchor set up for myself and son, then we should be ready to go. Would be happy to go out as a group if had the same time ideas for a trip.

We’ve recently done Safety Beach for squid and Devilbend as a starter, son is only 13, so starting in sheltered local areas until he gets used to it, but keen to give Balnarring area a shot for some gummies, flatties, pinkies etc.
Cheers, Brett.
outback paul
Square eyes
kayak: Revo 13

Post by outback paul »

Hi Anthony, at this time of year I'm mostly fishing the eastern side of Western Port Bay between Lang Lang and Corinella, (was out at Lang Lang today with Westy), so you are very welcome to tag along on a future trip. At this time of year with the water temperature very cold, unless you have appropriate clothing for an unexpected swim, I would recommend keeping pretty close to the shore. One of my favourite close in places is Tenby Point, where you only need to head out a few hundred metres to be in with a chance of a gummy. Hopefully I'll be down there sometime in the next few weeks. Best wishes Paul :thumbsup:
anth0ny
Apprentice

Post by anth0ny »

Thanks guys, once I set it up, I will definitely give you a shout.

I was actually thinking about devils bend the other day, just going on there and testing it out.
I also want to try the Mt Martha to Davies bay areas for whiting and squid.

Picking the yak up probably tomorrow night.

Cheers

Anthony
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

One thing i would recommend for safety is at least on anchor trolly, i used a cam lock to hold the anchor rope after feeding it though the anchor trolly. It makes anchorage safe.
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
anth0ny
Apprentice

Post by anth0ny »

A few things I will be doing before it goes out is

Anchor trolley
Installing my gps fish finder
Wiring a 12v station with switches and voltage meter for either fishfind or phone charger and lights
And adding a couple more star ports to the built in rails.

I have made up some spiral leashes to secure anything that can fall out of value, so they are ready to go
peatop
PHD in Yakology.

Post by peatop »

That cross member at the front with the starports i found to far forward to be of use, after some suggestions from others i fitted berkely quick set holders on the outsides of the mount but used scotty bases not the ones supplied, the starports i removed were then move to a perfect location beside the seat, i also bought 2 starport rail mounts, one for each side, good for your sounder or rod holders however be aware that they are not strong mounts so set drag accordingly ;) the transducer i mounted in some 25mm ID pvc then put it in the scupper in the very front of the footwell and it fitted nicely inside the plug which held it in place.
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
anth0ny
Apprentice

Post by anth0ny »

Do you have any photos on here of the transducer mount? That was the bit I was concerned about.
peatop
PHD in Yakology.

Post by peatop »

I don't think i took any but i can take some to give you the idea :up:
I will take some tomorrow as the setup is in the PA now, so i need to do it in the daylight.
anth0ny
Apprentice

Post by anth0ny »

I actually think I know how you have done it, so I wouldn’t stress.

Once I pick the yak up tomorrow, I will have a real good look at it and probably sit in it for a while and see where everything should go and what may work and may not.

I’ll try post some photos as I go.
Also will practise putting it on and taking it off the roof a few times and work out how to best do it.