Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
anth0ny
Apprentice
kayak: Lovig Maverick

Re: New Member

Post by anth0ny »

I have picked up my new Yak and pretty happy about it! But, I don’t know where to start.

I have the things to install a anchor trolley, but do I need marine goop for the rivets?
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

If you can access inside the hull, I would suggest stainless nuts (nyloc) and bolts rather than pop rivets.

Make sure you use big stainless washers either side of the hull and either goop/silicon.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

maverick wrote:If you can access inside the hull, I would suggest stainless nuts (nyloc) and bolts rather than pop rivets.

Make sure you use big stainless washers either side of the hull and either goop/silicon.
Hull access is difficult, hence why i cut the centre tub out in my maverick ;) i didn't bother bolting i just used screws and plumbers silicone for most of my through hull attachments, the only hull access is in the far rear so bolting is for the most impossible, i wouldn't use rivets unless you can put a washer on behind before popping it, rivets will pull through plastic to easy, i just used 316 ss screws i got from bunnings (maybe), dont buy marine grade from your local boating joint pfft its just 316 even 304 will do the job, always check your hardware before paying a premium price for an everyday product ;) a "D" hook from a marine stockist will cost you $3 each pfft i pay 32c.
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
anth0ny
Apprentice
kayak: Lovig Maverick

Post by anth0ny »

So far, I’ve installed my anchor trolley, fish finder and transducer (using pvc pipe and the scupper plug like peatop explained) and moved the far starports closer to the seat. My anchor and sea anchor arrived today which I’m happy about. Only ordered them the other day.
Next I will sort my storage out.

I will post some photos soon

Thanks again for all your help and advice.
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

I found storage to be a pain, but then i tend to carry more than needed :evilgrin: the rear hatch imo is to dangerous to use while on the water after reading about some incidents reported, i was putting my bait/catch bag (Aldi coolbag) in the front hatch but found it better sitting it between the seat and rear box stored in the rear cargo area.

Originally i cut the tub out of the centre hatch to line a section of the hull with foam for a cool area for catch storage but found it made a great tackle storage lol
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm