Rocket Launcher rod holders - are they strong ?

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
frappa11
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: i9s, olive revo 13

Rocket Launcher rod holders - are they strong ?

Post by frappa11 »

For my revo 13, I am thinking of mounting 2 flush scotty mounts in the area in front of the pockets and then putting rocket launcher rod holders in them.

I have never used rocket launchers before - I have always used the normal rod holders (shaped like the scotty power lock) mounted with 4 screws at the base.

How strong are rocket launchers in a flush scotty mount ? can it take a big hit from a big gummy ? can I troll with them and it can take a hit from a big snapper ? Can I use decent sized rods (say 4-8kg) on them with no problems ? (i.e. the rod is not too heavy ?)
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Re: Rocket Launcher rod holders - are they strong ?

Post by cheaterparts »

frappa11 wrote:For my revo 13, I am thinking of mounting 2 flush scotty mounts in the area in front of the pockets and then putting rocket launcher rod holders in them.

I have never used rocket launchers before - I have always used the normal rod holders (shaped like the scotty power lock) mounted with 4 screws at the base.

How strong are rocket launchers in a flush scotty mount ? can it take a big hit from a big gummy ? can I troll with them and it can take a hit from a big snapper ? Can I use decent sized rods (say 4-8kg) on them with no problems ? (i.e. the rod is not too heavy ?)
there are 101 ways to set up your rod holders Ron - I've always preferred Burkley quick sets myself but thats the way I set up and of cause use a paddle kayak so need them out of my way when moving

as for trolling why not use the trolling rod holders behind the seat
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
frappa11
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by frappa11 »

oh i like my rods in front of me angled out to the side when trolling to spread the lines out and also to let me monitor constantly when when my hard bodies are trolling properly (the rod tip pulses when the hard bodies swim properly - if the hard body is tangled up and has weed the rod tip just bends when trolling)

wondering about the rocket launchers because i saw some posts on the net saying some guys dont like them because their rods come out or that the rocket launchers swivels after a hard strike (or maybe the are referring to RAM mounts maybe?)
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

For what you want I'd stick with a railblaza base and either the normal rod holder or their newer rod tube. I've had some massive hits from tuna on them and have been amazed how they've withstood it. I've got less confidence in the scotty mount and the bases tend to be bulky.
0408 565 763
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

cheaterparts wrote:
frappa11 wrote:For my revo 13, I am thinking of mounting 2 flush scotty mounts in the area in front of the pockets and then putting rocket launcher rod holders in them.

there are 101 ways to set up your rod holders Ron - I've always preferred Burkley quick sets myself but thats the way I set up and of cause use a paddle kayak so need them out of my way when moving

as for trolling why not use the trolling rod holders behind the seat
Cheater do you use the supplied mounts or scotty on the qs holders?
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

On the revo 16 I use the scotty rocket launchers (not the Ram type) in the location you suggest. For trolling I angle back and out 45degrees which works well with pedal drive. Easier to see than behind and very easy to reach and pull out of the holder. When travelling (not trolling) I pivot them forward then rod butt and reel is well out of the way. Especially when I feel like having a paddle day. They are also very handy for rigging up rods.

Have no issues with strength when hooking up with gummies and rays.

The berkly quicksets, as cheater mentions, are great for locations up front at the end of the footwell as you can easily get rods in and out of them without having to pull rod out forwards

In revos you always have issues with rod butts getting in the way of drive and legs so these help that issue.

Just make sure you arrange the release tab in a direction you dont use so they are not inadvertently unlocked.

They also make good fish pacifiers. Pull it out whack 'em on the head and put back in
Attachments
20180904_123353 - Copy.jpg
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

peatop wrote: Cheater do you use the supplied mounts or scotty on the qs holders?
I've never used scotty mounts - I have used the std burkley mounts or just made or modified to suit

on my stealth I used 1" ram balls adapted to the burkleys to make then a quick removable for surf launches - they then are easy stored and out of the way in case of a turtle impression
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
frappa11
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by frappa11 »

shane wrote:For what you want I'd stick with a railblaza base and either the normal rod holder or their newer rod tube. I've had some massive hits from tuna on them and have been amazed how they've withstood it. I've got less confidence in the scotty mount and the bases tend to be bulky.
Shane is this the railblaza base you use ?

https://www.freaksports.com.au/product/ ... -hd-mount/
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

frappa11 wrote: Shane is this the railblaza base you use ?
This is the main one I have: https://www.railblaza.com/products/boating-starport/, but there are others like the HD one you link and the sideport: https://www.railblaza.com/products/sideport/
What you use will depend on the location you are mounting and what works best.

These are the standard rod holders: https://www.railblaza.com/products/rod-holder-ll/ I prefer these as you can lock the rod in with the front lock and angle back if you need to clear the pedal stroke. They also have a newer rod holder that is closer to a rocket launcher style: https://yakgear.com/product/railblaza-r ... rt-hd-kit/
0408 565 763
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

peatop wrote:[
Cheater do you use the supplied mounts or scotty on the qs holders?
If you use the standard QS mounts reinforce them with a SS hoseclip around them as they are not partivcularly strong and I have had one shattered by a big ray

Scotty mounts work but they are a bit looser
Attachments
20171028_181739r.jpg
20171027_131849.jpg