Anchoring off Lang Lang near spit point

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Re: Anchoring off Lang Lang near spit point

Post by laneends »

It can be very difficult if any tide or wind, as by the time you set sorted you have drifted a fair distance. Easier with pedals
Sometimes you can let excess rope until over the drop off, then just pull some back in
bjspinner
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 180Drive/ Oasis

Re: Anchoring off Lang Lang near spit point

Post by bjspinner »

frappa11 wrote:Thanks everyone - question to the pros though

if you are trying to anchor yourself over a particular bit of bottom (drop off, reef etc) that is not too big in area, how do you do it ? (i.e. precision anchoring ?)

do you look at the depth, estimate how much horizontol distance 3x depth rope would make (cue the high school trig), paddle up current approximately that distance, anchor, then slowly let out drop until you drift over the area you want (i.e. check on the sounder) then clip in the rope ?

or is there some other technique/rule of tumb ?

curious as I have had much trouble doing this now that I have a better sounder and am trying to to position myself over specific structure/dropoffs and making trouble doing it
You have a gps so use the waypoints to mark your spot on the sounder etc, you don't want to be right on top of the reef structure with the yak as you will cast towards the area you have marked up.

This sounds like your issue with the anchor right there (not enough rope out) as you are trying to anchor on your spot as you see it on the sounder, due to rope length and tidal influence you miss your marked up spot.
I have many waypoints in my sounder and as I arrive at one I am always up current of where I want to be, before I get to my waypoints I zoom in on the gps screen so I can get a better view on the screen as to where I am.
Mobile 0418991898
PB: Micro surgery on one of Scuba Sue's Gummy's