Hello - new and looking to getting into Kayak fishing

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
DaveCandy
Apprentice
kayak: Pro Angler 14

Re: Hello - new and looking to getting into Kayak fishing

Post by DaveCandy »

I'm Tim's brother, with the RTM K-Largo.

I opted for a larger kayak for stability purposes, with the trade-off of being more difficult to maneuver out of the water.
It's been anything but. Loading it onto the roof of a lifted dual cab ute was easy, and in the water you have good stability, to the point of being able to stand up in some cases.

As Tim mentioned, I'll knock it down to 650 for a forum member, at least I know it'll still be getting around on here.

Sorry, trailer not included ;)
Attachments
Kayak 2.png
clintos
Apprentice
kayak: Pedalfish 10

Post by clintos »

Hi Dave, as stated earlier I'm after a pedal yak sorry, best of luck with the sale!
choppers
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: prowler elite 4.5

Post by choppers »

Good buy right there for someone :thumbsup:
"Ye old town" Yak captures - gummy (116) salmon (32) flatty (35) yakka (28) silver trev (25) couta (38) plus all the garbage fish

Prowler victims - squid (30cm) Gar (36) Snapper (80 :yahoo: ) kgw (39)
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Post by 4liters »

clintos wrote:the effort that comes along with such a craft.
You will find this isn't nearly as much effort as you think and a lot of it comes down to how you organise you gear. All the stuff I take out with me lives in the milk crate I chuck on the back of the yak so packing/unpacking is pretty straightforward - the crate has a drift chute, EPIRB, flares, anchor, rod holders, tackle trays with gear for targeting everything from squid to bronzies, bilge pump, rope and a ruler.

This afternoon was a case in point, my yak weighs more than twice as much as ecoronad/Erwin's (he mentioned earlier his hull weighs 20kg, my Slayer 13 is 47kg empty or something ridiculous like that); we both car-top our yaks and we started packing at the same time. We finished at pretty much the same time despite me spending time talking S#!^ with Peter and having a lot more fish to put away on top of all the gear.

The only time I think a smaller yak would be nice is when dragging the fucker over soft sand, but those balloon wheels would make pretty light work of sandy launches. I find there's enough solid launches like minor boat ramps or beaches with hard packed sand that this isn't an issue.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

I have a hobie quest 11 mainly for rivers etc often where you are launching down awkward banks etc. Ok for mild days on the bay but if it chops up it gets real squirrelly and the nose buries in the waves due to lack of forward bouyancy, and I would rate it as one of the most seaworthy yaks at that size. I also have a quest 13 and the difference for bumpy water is a huge contrast. It comes down to increased safety margins. Flat water, not much difference. Used to have a typical ebay 3m yak and the quest 11 is infinitely better than that was
DaveCandy
Apprentice
kayak: Pro Angler 14

Post by DaveCandy »

clintos wrote:Hi Dave, as stated earlier I'm after a pedal yak sorry, best of luck with the sale!
All good, no rush to sell. Has been a good first yak, will wait til the right home comes along :thumbsup:
aussieDave
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobbie Outback

Post by aussieDave »

An interesting thread this.

When I bought my first kayak I thought I'd be catching some bream in the estuaries and maybe some squid or whiting along the blue line. Once I found out that snapper were as easy as catching bream and the fun I get from catching snapper from a yak is huge, I've caught a few hundred snaps in the 3 years I've had my yak and 1 bream (salmon trout bycatch), why would you catch bream when you can catch snapper? Be careful yak fishing can easily become an obsession, not a weekend passes that I'm not on the water. Ever thought about catching a SBT from a yak? very doable and satisfying not to mention how good fresh tuna tastes.

I also have a bad back so the idea of paddling was off the table and loading was a concern. I settled on a second hand Outback for $1800 which came with some accessories and don't regret it 1 bit, I reckon I could turn around and sell it for the same price tomorrow. I tried to clean and jerk it onto the top of my car a couple of times but that's too hard a work, I have a Rhino Rack roof rack extension that allows me to put half up at a time which works great.

Dave
clintos
Apprentice

Post by clintos »

So I've taken the plunge on purchased a Pedelfish 10 (native slayer 10 clone) - there is an active group on Facebook with these things and heaps of Bay fishing being done.

I've been thinking a lot about the type of fishing I'll be doing and this one just made sense as an all rounder for me (including the price!), considering I'll be doing river, estuary and inshore bay fishing - maybe even some lakes if I find any around my area. Hopefully I don't get blasted on here for going against peoples advice too much (get a long kayak) - the kayak is 3.2 meters (40cm shorter than a compass) so as long as I'm smart about when to go out should be all good.

See you guys out there on the water!

Clint.
vicyak
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie PA 14

Post by vicyak »

Without seeing the reviews but by looking at the Pedelfish 10 does look stable for it's size and quite nice unit for the price. However I think will be prone to moving around a bit in even the slighted bit of chop. Also depends on your weight. For Rivers (gentle flow) and small lakes would be a good choice. Easy forward/reverse whilst flicking lures at banks :up: . For bay though don't think it's suited at all. You could add stabilisers for a couple hundred if you want to use more bay fishing. Tracking will still be an issue though. When you do decide to use the yak on the bay go with a group and stick to popular locations for yaks. Certain locations are flooded with yaks and will aid support if required.

The RTM K-Largo 2nd hand for $650 would have been a good choice for the bay.

If you have fished long enough you would have experienced days where it was 5knots gentle offshore winds and next thing you know you have 25knots. It happens and often those spikes are not predicted. Sites like willy weather tend to smooth out a spike as well and don't forecast the short sharp spikes in wind well. If you get caught in those conditions on your yak you will be in trouble. Don't overestimate the strength of offshore winds. Had to rescue or have seen rescues nearby because offshore wind picked up (Paddleboard and a kitesurfer). The paddleboarder would have been dead for sure. No lifejacket and winds picked up to 25-30knots offshore which was forecasted. 40c day as well. Would have been toast.
clintos
Apprentice

Post by clintos »

vicyak wrote:For bay though don't think it's suited at all.
That's what I first thought going off what others have poster here... but there are quite a few people getting around in these things without a worry in both PPB and WPB, landing some big stuff in areas I have no intention of heading out too. If you get onto the Krakka Yakkaz Facebook group it's run by a couple of guys who both use Pedelfish 10's and they chuck up some great reports going out in weather that is not always 'calm'.

Will see how I go, at around $1200 I think it's a great little buy to get me going.

cheers

Clint.