Purchasing first kayak after advice

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
g_dog
kayak: Native Mariner 10

Purchasing first kayak after advice

Post by g_dog »

Hi
I’m purchasing a native Mariner 10 as my first kayak comes with life jacket , trolley , paddle , anchor ,fish finder , fishing bag with rod holders for $1500 would you say that’s a reasonable price , the kayak looks in great condition only very minor scratches on the bottom is there anything I should be worried about or look for any advice would be greatly appreciated as I’m flying abit blind here as no previous experience in kayaks,I’m hoping to use it in the bay but only in close on calm days chasing squid , flat head etc and also on the Murrey river and Gippsland lakes etc I won’t be taking it out deep in the bay would the kayak suit what I want to do
Thanks again
Gary
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Re: Purchasing first kayak after advice

Post by 4liters »

if it's got the propel drive maybe check over that carefully for signs of leaks and that it is running smoothly. It's no big deal if it isn't in great condition, you can get parts from capacity sports in Moorabin but make sure you get a few hundred knocked off the price of the yak to cover the cost of the parts.

Give it a good look over for signs of leaks, is there any sign water has got inside, any cracks in the scuppers (this is only really likely if it has been used with one of those trolleys that inserts in the scuppers).

it's be fine for the bay on good days but be aware of it's limitations as a smaller kayak and keep an eye on the weather accordingly.
g_dog

Post by g_dog »

Thanks for your response
I’ll double check over everything you mentioned today , yes I won’t be taking it out Deep just inshore for squid and flattys
Thanks again
Gary
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

g_dog wrote:Thanks for your response
I’ll double check over everything you mentioned today , yes I won’t be taking it out Deep just inshore for squid and flattys
Thanks again
Gary
Don't get fooled by thinking you are safe in closer. If an offshore wind blows up it can also cause issues. Plan for the worst and hope for the best. They don't paddle very well, so keep in mind if there is an issue with the pedal drive, you don't want to be struggling against a head wind with a hand paddle Also, apart from all the other safety information posted elsewhere, when you take it out the first time, do it without any gear and practice getting in and out of it from the water. You will get cold and wet but it is better to practice re-entry when your life doesn't depend on it. Dress as though you may fall in the water and hope you don't. Big issue with people in winter, dressing to stay warm in the yak, but forgetting big bulking clothes will make it very hard to swim or get back into the yak if you do fall in.

Hard to say if the price is fair, given we can't see the yak or the drive which is the expensive bit and also the bit that causes the most issues. You can also get a rudder upgrade from Berleypro, which everyone who has a Native swears by apparently. They have 3 left in stock at the moment, on special.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
erik the viking
Square eyes
kayak: 2015 Outback

Post by erik the viking »

g_dog wrote:Thanks for your response
Thanks again
Gary

Hey Gary;
I hope your proposed purchase will serve you well.
Be aware of all the safety issues pointed out by Mav and Ian. Two of the most experienced and knowledgeable members here.
You might start out in close after flatties and squid, but like us all you'll venture out that 'just a bit more'!
Enjoy your new sport but keep a keen eye on Fishranger............ Sh#t happens eventually, so be warned.
Oh, wear you pfd at all times and have a paddle leash!
Someone recently didn't think those two simple things were important.
:down: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=25699 viewtopic.php?f=8&t=25697
It's a grouse sport, but don't get complacent. :D
g_dog

Post by g_dog »

Thank you for your advice it’s been noted About the saftety side , I purchased the kayak I’m absolutely rapt with it seems to be in great condition was up at a holiday house in country vic hasn’t had a lot of use , the previous owner was a great bloke he threw in a fishing bag with rod holders , and about two hundred dollars worth of lures still in there packets never used I’m currently in Darwin on holidays I can’t wait to take it to a lake for some practice before trying it around Mornington , safety beach for squid
Thanks Gary
happyas
Lord of the fish
kayak: stealth evo 465

Post by happyas »

Hi Gary. Have a peruse through the safety sections. Maybe you can arrange with Anthony and come down to Lilydale lake for a shakedown cruise and fall out and remount session. I would be willing to take you up to Blue Rock if you like to try for Bass.
frappa11
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: i9s, olive revo 13

Post by frappa11 »

If you get southerly to easterly wind, you can go to fisherman's beach and just do your safety remount practice there. People swim there and in that wind direction its protected (as you as you dont go out too far).
g_dog

Post by g_dog »

Sounds great happyas I’ve been talking to Anthony about doing that at lillydale lake , be great to learn of some who knows what there doing
g_dog

Post by g_dog »

And I would be definitely keen to try out blue rock for bass sounds great