The evolution of VYAK

Our policy and site announcements(Upgrades/migrations, etc)
HaTTerS
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: None (temporarily)

Re: The evolution of VYAK

Post by HaTTerS »

Drew wrote:
viperdevil wrote:Out of Interest how much will we pay each to be in the club? does it depend on the number of members? I dont mind paying, just curious
it typically depends on how the Club is founded, and what the subscriptions go towards. For the WRX Club, our membership is $90 per year, which goes towards cash booking Motorsport events, paying for meeting rooms for general member and committee meetings, putting on BBQ's for the members at social events and the like...
Yup, don't get too far ahead yet, we are just floating the idea. Actual costs will be worked out way down the line if we go ahead.
Poised on the edge of sanity.
Drew
Square eyes
kayak: 2008 Revolution Fish and 2011 Outback

Post by Drew »

HaTTerS wrote:
Drew wrote:
viperdevil wrote:Out of Interest how much will we pay each to be in the club? does it depend on the number of members? I dont mind paying, just curious
it typically depends on how the Club is founded, and what the subscriptions go towards. For the WRX Club, our membership is $90 per year, which goes towards cash booking Motorsport events, paying for meeting rooms for general member and committee meetings, putting on BBQ's for the members at social events and the like...
Yup, don't get too far ahead yet, we are just floating the idea. Actual costs will be worked out way down the line if we go ahead.
yeah, absolutely - $90 for subscriptions to a Club like this would in my opinion be over the top... Couldn't see that outgoing expenses would be as significant as for a Competitive Motorsport organisation...
Yak PB's:

- Rock Flathead 45cm
Widsa
Site Admin
kayak: Wavedance Kingfisher

Post by Widsa »

Drew wrote:
ratfish wrote:Like Andrew I've had chats with canoe vic over the years about club formation and registration from a school and club perspective, part of their charter is a qualified group leader for each event with different levels of qualification for different locations and event types, would be great to be a part of them but a lot of work.
Many years ago, I was a registered white water instructor with Canoeing Victoria, but have never looked at how their constitution works, or what it takes to be affiliated...

their guidelines for being an affiliate are here... http://vic.canoe.org.au/default.asp?Pag ... c492/6229/

I believe this would be the most logical approach were we to go out "on our own"...

Agreed.
I also looked into that and it is a great idea to get us started with relative ease.
It will take a fair bit of work, but we should be able to share the load somewhat.
I dont think tagging onto another existing club is a good idea for us as we wouldnt be able to make our own rules and be unique as vic kayak anglers.
Part of the appeal for me is that we be our own entity able to hold kayak specific comps and lobby for our own needs when we get big enough.
As Mav pointed out, Rhino and a few others tried to tag onto an another club but I dont think it took off, a few maybe took it up but it was located over in Altona so I personally was not very interested as it was not practical for me.
I would hope that our club didnt have a specific location and perhpas held meetings over the state to keep it fair.

Obviously this will take some nutting out but look at what we have achieved as a group in a matter of hours.
Some great input and feedback already lads! :thumbsup:
Im sure we can sus it out and come up with some set guidlines that we want to run with.
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway
Widsa
Site Admin
kayak: Wavedance Kingfisher

Post by Widsa »

viperdevil wrote:Does that mean Mud brothers comp is the last comp as VYAK? before the club and In future to be in any comp we have to be the members of the club?
Correct, Except there is nothing stopping people organising comps or get together on vyak it just wont be an "official" Vyak event.
It will be people saying " hey who wants to go for a fish at flinders and catch some squid?" "I will bring some bacon and eggs and joe wants to throw in some prizes"
Pretty much the same, but we are not organising anything.

Widsa.
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway
HaTTerS

Post by HaTTerS »

Widsa wrote: Obviously this will take some nutting out but look at what we have achieved as a group in a matter of hours.
Some great input and feedback already lads! :thumbsup:
Im sure we can sus it out and come up with some set guidlines that we want to run with.
hear hear
cbarker54
Lord of the fish
kayak: Red Outback

Post by cbarker54 »

All sounds good in theory but trying to build a club sorta cuts out majority of the VYAK people; unless you live on the right side of town.

For me it means that I cant join an event like the one at St Leonards or the comp this weekend and meet people from around the state and have beer and a laugh because I wouldnt join another club or association as I dont have time too.

I'm guessing by the location of the VYAK decision makers that holding club meetings in western suburbs or geelong is out of the question so why would I pay my dues to fish at a couple comps throughout the year and not attend club meetings and feel like I was part of a club.

I can understand why Tipsta resigned, we now have a glorified mens club that only a few can truly be part of.
CB

I couldnt think of anything witty or funny to say and didnt really want to post my PB fish from the yak cause all I manage to get are toadies so I thought I'd take the time to fill in the blank space and say pretty much absolutely nothing and annoy every-one who has taken the time to read this.
Haynsie
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Revolution 13

Post by Haynsie »

Really? All that mucking around, incorporation, committees, fundraising, insurance, RULES?! :wtf:

I understand there's liability issues with comps, so don't have comps (or sponsors) and keep it informal and social. If people are that serious about wanting to compete, there's already a calendar full of well run, insured comps out there that anyone can enter (ABT, Tea Tree, Club Comps etc), with great prizes and serious bragging rights.

Sounds like we're taking a simple thing and making it difficult, when at the end of the day it's just about catching up with mates and going for a fish, which we do pretty well already.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers

Tim
cheaterparts
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

Haynsie wrote:Really? All that mucking around, incorporation, committees, fundraising, insurance, RULES?! :wtf:

I understand there's liability issues with comps, so don't have comps (or sponsors) and keep it informal and social. If people are that serious about wanting to compete, there's already a calendar full of well run, insured comps out there that anyone can enter (ABT, Tea Tree, Club Comps etc), with great prizes and serious bragging rights.

Sounds like we're taking a simple thing and making it difficult, when at the end of the day it's just about catching up with mates and going for a fish, which we do pretty well already.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers

Tim
I pretty sure for those that dont wont to do comps its not a problem the site would still be the same
but you are wrong on the amount of comps there are very few for kayaks and there are quite a few punter that would be happy to
to go down a inc club if thats what it takes

I'm sure there still will be plenty of catching up with mates over a bear and a fish with or without a new club
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
GoneFishn
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: OceanKayak Prowler Elite 4.5 "Calypso"

Post by GoneFishn »

I always thought that all of the "comps" that had been held in the past and the up comming one where organised by indaviduals who are neither part of the Admin or Mods team therfor to my understanding it was not organised by vyak.net. I may be wrong but it was the forum members organising the events using vyak as a communication avenue, so if this is correct wouldn't it be an easy task of dropping off the vyak name off the waiver you sign at these said comps.
cbarker54 wrote:All sounds good in theory but trying to build a club sorta cuts out majority of the VYAK people; unless you live on the right side of town.

For me it means that I cant join an event like the one at St Leonards or the comp this weekend and meet people from around the state and have beer and a laugh because I wouldnt join another club or association as I dont have time too.

I'm guessing by the location of the VYAK decision makers that holding club meetings in western suburbs or geelong is out of the question so why would I pay my dues to fish at a couple comps throughout the year and not attend club meetings and feel like I was part of a club.

I can understand why Tipsta resigned, we now have a glorified mens club that only a few can truly be part of.
cbarker54 is on the money here.
HaTTerS

Post by HaTTerS »

cbarker54 wrote:All sounds good in theory but trying to build a club sorta cuts out majority of the VYAK people; unless you live on the right side of town.

:eh:
Events will still happen all around the state, like they have in the past... You can still meet people from around the state, have a laugh and a beer, you just won't see advertising banners and prizes being handed out by sponsors.
If members want to hold an event in Barwon Heads... go for it! It just won't be a "Vyak" event... it will be a bunch of Vyak members that decide to get together.

If you want the competition side of things... join the proposed club and go to their events where ever they are held (the club hasn't even started yet, so no one know where events will be held yet. Saying they will be out of your reach is a bit presumptuous)
cbarker54 wrote:because I wouldnt join another club or association as I dont have time too
:eh: :eh:

So you won't have time to pay a fee and rock up to events?
The only extra requirement to what we have now is paying a fee... that takes about 2 minutes... are you serious?
cbarker54 wrote:I'm guessing by the location of the VYAK decision makers that holding club meetings in western suburbs or geelong is out of the question so why would I pay my dues to fish at a couple comps throughout the year and not attend club meetings and feel like I was part of a club.
Once again, if you read Widsa's post, he said a committee will have to be formed. We don't know who that will be yet or where meetings will be held.
Widsa wrote:I suggest we create the “Victorian Kayak Anglers Association” hell we can even have a poll for the name on VYAK.
We can give any VYAK member that is a member of the association special access to a separate forum within VYAK so they can have round table discussions there and make decisions between themselves.

I can see this working really well and I am happy to help out with the setting up of it, but I will only offer limited time and will not be on the committee.(maybe to start with for a short period but after that I am out)
The committee members can be nominated and voted for on here as well to decide who gets what position.
" VYAK decision makers that holding club meetings"
Wanna try that again?

Widsa said that he hopes the club will have no official home because he understands that having it one location will disadvantage those located further away.