Lesson Learnt - Safety For Newbies !!!

Jay
Square eyes
kayak: 2014 Hobie Quest 13, 2015 Hobie Outback

Lesson Learnt - Safety For Newbies !!!

Post by Jay »

Hey guys,

At the risk of embarrassment, I thought I would take the time to post this up for anyone new to the sport like myself and hopefully may assist someone in the future.

Before I go on, I want to let everyone know I am not new to water having been on boats many times before and owning a poly boat myself, but kayaking is a whole new ball game to me.

I was out at Millers this morning around 200-300 meters from the shore. Water was dead calm and a beautiful day. I was going fine and just set myself up and getting ready to head off. I leant around behind me to grab one of my rods to tether, when another fell in the drink. My first instinct was to reach over and grab it... big mistake.

I ended up tipping over, falling in and lost ALL of my gear which was 3 of my best rods and reels, esky and a scotty type rod holder snapper off the yak in the process.

What followed next is what I wasn't obviously prepared for: The water was cold, I panicked but quickly reached for the cord on my PFD and inflated it. Once inflated I felt more calm. I was able to get myself back on the kayak however it was upside down and filling with water. I continued to paddle this way nonetheless as I didn't want to risk being in the cold water and so my hull was filling with water and I was trying vigorously to paddle an upside down yak.

I made it back to shore obviously but I learnt quite a few lessons from this and I guess the only way you really learn is through trial and error but I want to make some suggestions to some of the newbies as I was fortunate enough to have warm clothing, and my PFD on but I have seen some videos on here where people don't even have their PFDs. Lesson's to be taken:

1. ALWAYS make sure you have your PFD on and secure !! This saved my life today !

2. Tether all your gear before you get out there. Last thing you want to do is fiddle around for something when on the water

3. Go out with a buddy if possible in the beginning - As I said I'm fairly comfortable in water usually but it gave me a spook as well because when the situation arises, and you're all alone out there, it's a scary moment !

4. Try and NOT panic... When you hit the water, especially if it's cold, your body automatically switches to survival mode and you will naturally reach for the kayak or if you have a PFD like mine where you need to pull the cord to inflate, then pull it and stay calm. Stay near your kayak and climb over it to flip it back on it's belly to get back on. After my experience today, I will be practicing re-entries a bit over the summer to really get comfortable.

5. With a Kayak it will most likely be a case of when not if you fall in. As you get more comfortable, you will push the limits further and further so make sure you are prepared.

6. ALWAYS be conscious of your surroundings - this is what led me to fall in. When my rod fell in, I momentarily forgot I was on the kayak and instinct told me to lean over and save the rod - I should have let it go, I would have been ok and the rest of my gear would have been salvaged.

7. ALWAYS make sure your paddle is leashed... this is a must !

These are in no particular order and a lot of this seems common sense but we all have lapses from time to time and as I said, as embarrassing as this may be, if it means it makes someone think twice, then I'm fine with that.

I'll be out on the water again soon, this time with a lot more care and precaution taken.

Cheers guys,

Jay
CrazyChenski
Lord of the fish
kayak: Clarkeski Dusta

Re: Lesson Learnt - Safety For Newbies !!!

Post by CrazyChenski »

GOod to hear you are OK mate, It's good lesson learnt with minimal costs.

When the water warms up abit in November december, probably it is the best time to practice re-entry.
I did some practice early this year, with and without turned kayak. You're right about not panicking is the key, practicing is also another crucial point. Once you have afew practices in the water, you will know what to do.

Read up in teh Safety section, as there are a wealth of knowledge and experiences shared by various memebrs around here.
Fishing is just like Accounting .... it is all about Optical Illusion ...............
Jay
Square eyes

Post by Jay »

Yeah mate all good thankfully but yeah re-entry practice is a must.

I read through the safety section before I got the kayak but at the end of the day, there is nothing like a "live" situation to put it to the test.

Once the life jacket was inflated I was much better and didn't rush but at the end of the day if you panic, trouble starts...

The only way we will advance ourselves and become better is through your own experiences and the experiences of others and their feedback - which is why I've posted this. It's a great sport and teaches you a lot about the water but it's always good to be as safe as you can...

Anyhow looking forward to getting back out there... spewing though, today was a cracking day !
Pearcy
Lord of the fish
kayak: Quintrex 480 Freedom Sport (pretend its a big yak)

Post by Pearcy »

Fish4Fun wrote:Hey guys,

At the risk of embarrassment, I thought I would take the time to post this up for anyone new to the sport like myself and hopefully may assist someone in the future.

Before I go on, I want to let everyone know I am not new to water having been on boats many times before and owning a poly boat myself, but kayaking is a whole new ball game to me.

I was out at Millers this morning around 200-300 meters from the shore. Water was dead calm and a beautiful day. I was going fine and just set myself up and getting ready to head off. I leant around behind me to grab one of my rods to tether, when another fell in the drink. My first instinct was to reach over and grab it... big mistake.

I ended up tipping over, falling in and lost ALL of my gear which was 3 of my best rods and reels, esky and a scotty type rod holder snapper off the yak in the process.

What followed next is what I wasn't obviously prepared for: The water was cold, I panicked but quickly reached for the cord on my PFD and inflated it. Once inflated I felt more calm. I was able to get myself back on the kayak however it was upside down and filling with water. I continued to paddle this way nonetheless as I didn't want to risk being in the cold water and so my hull was filling with water and I was trying vigorously to paddle an upside down yak.

I made it back to shore obviously but I learnt quite a few lessons from this and I guess the only way you really learn is through trial and error but I want to make some suggestions to some of the newbies as I was fortunate enough to have warm clothing, and my PFD on but I have seen some videos on here where people don't even have their PFDs. Lesson's to be taken:

1. ALWAYS make sure you have your PFD on and secure !! This saved my life today !

2. Tether all your gear before you get out there. Last thing you want to do is fiddle around for something when on the water

3. Go out with a buddy if possible in the beginning - As I said I'm fairly comfortable in water usually but it gave me a spook as well because when the situation arises, and you're all alone out there, it's a scary moment !

4. Try and NOT panic... When you hit the water, especially if it's cold, your body automatically switches to survival mode and you will naturally reach for the kayak or if you have a PFD like mine where you need to pull the cord to inflate, then pull it and stay calm. Stay near your kayak and climb over it to flip it back on it's belly to get back on. After my experience today, I will be practicing re-entries a bit over the summer to really get comfortable.

5. With a Kayak it will most likely be a case of when not if you fall in. As you get more comfortable, you will push the limits further and further so make sure you are prepared.

6. ALWAYS be conscious of your surroundings - this is what led me to fall in. When my rod fell in, I momentarily forgot I was on the kayak and instinct told me to lean over and save the rod - I should have let it go, I would have been ok and the rest of my gear would have been salvaged.

7. ALWAYS make sure your paddle is leashed... this is a must !

These are in no particular order and a lot of this seems common sense but we all have lapses from time to time and as I said, as embarrassing as this may be, if it means it makes someone think twice, then I'm fine with that.

I'll be out on the water again soon, this time with a lot more care and precaution taken.

Cheers guys,

Jay
Hi Jay,

Glad to hear it all turned out well. I had a similar experience early last year but was fortunate enough to have Rhino in the vicinity to come and give me some self rescue tuition and a hand with my gear.

Regardless of that I was always still a little less than confident in my own abilities so decided to attend a kayak safety course and in the process roped in a few other VYAK punters to attend. Some others on VYAK have also attended this course since we organised the first one.

I have attached the link to the post that might be of interest to you and others if you haven't seen it and would strongly urge those who are new to the sport or are lacking a little confidence to consider attending it or something similar, no affiliations etc, etc etc.

Cheers,

http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12921

Tony.
Pearcy.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Bet you are glad that didn't happen at Barwon.

I saw plenty of yakkers there last weekend without PFDs, some even going out through the mouth over the sand bar straight in to the breakers.

Far too many folks are seeing these peddle yaks in particular as apparenet easy to use retirement toys.

I do a lot of practice at side saddling to reach stuff at the back as it is too easy to twist round trying to free a tangle and over you go.

Untangling lines from the rudder is my riskiest move.

Keeping the centre hatches shut is always a good precaution,. Having that open while reaching around the back or reaching out to attach lures /baits/leaders is common
Jay
Square eyes

Post by Jay »

Tony, cheers for that mate.

I will definitely look at taking up that course.

Mate it's always safer to be out with a buddy or two but unfortunately not always easy getting people together so yes attending a course such as this sounds the goods !!

I keep thinking about how it all happened and I realised how unlike me it was to reach over and grab the rod instinctively not being aware of my surroundings... but sometimes reaction is quicker than thought and that's why precaution is paramount.

Cheers again mate
Pearcy
Lord of the fish
kayak: Quintrex 480 Freedom Sport (pretend its a big yak)

Post by Pearcy »

Fish4Fun wrote:Tony, cheers for that mate.

I will definitely look at taking up that course.

Mate it's always safer to be out with a buddy or two but unfortunately not always easy getting people together so yes attending a course such as this sounds the goods !!

I keep thinking about how it all happened and I realised how unlike me it was to reach over and grab the rod instinctively not being aware of my surroundings... but sometimes reaction is quicker than thought and that's why precaution is paramount.

Cheers again mate
Pleasure :up:
Pearcy.
Jay
Square eyes

Post by Jay »

laneends wrote:Bet you are glad that didn't happen at Barwon.

I saw plenty of yakkers there last weekend without PFDs, some even going out through the mouth over the sand bar straight in to the breakers.

Far too many folks are seeing these peddle yaks in particular as apparenet easy to use retirement toys.

I do a lot of practice at side saddling to reach stuff at the back as it is too easy to twist round trying to free a tangle and over you go.

Untangling lines from the rudder is my riskiest move.

Keeping the centre hatches shut is always a good precaution,. Having that open while reaching around the back or reaching out to attach lures /baits/leaders is common

Mate I never go out without my PFD - that is just asking for trouble !!

It's the PFD that saved me this morning - must have !!

Well once the weather warms up I'll be doing plenty of re-entry practices and side saddle... I'm also going to re-think how I'm going to set up the kayak to keep most of the stuff (ie rods) in front of me so less twisting and turning therefore less chance of a swim !!

When I got back to the ramp, I opened up the hatch and about 30% of the hull was full !!!!

I might look at investing in a kayak bilge, one of the hand pump ones..
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Fish4Fun wrote:
laneends wrote:
I might look at investing in a kayak bilge, one of the hand pump ones..
Only $10 at Rays. make sure its a floater, preferably lashed. Not stored loose in hull otherwise it will have floated off out of reach when you need it most.

Dont forget a knife clipped to PFD as you might have to cut leashes or lines if you tangle in them.
Jay
Square eyes

Post by Jay »

Thanks mate - the knife I usually keep inside the hatch but makes much more sense to have it on you.

Might actually get a PFD with the pockets that way can keep pliers, knife and other bits and bobs handy