Well Earned Beer (Altona Rescue)

GoneFishn
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: OceanKayak Prowler Elite 4.5 "Calypso"

Re: Well Earned Beer

Post by GoneFishn »

Rhino wrote:
lunar12 wrote:Well done mate.

Question 1: Wouldn't have been easier if you just called 000 as soon as you realised the kayak had no paddler and let them handle it (perhaps even quicker) ?

Question 2: Pending he had his mobile phone with him, why didnt the kayaker do that?
Firstly, you're not my mate.

Secondly, what is it with you and trying to make other people look stupid?

Honestly, it's having the opposite effect.
:clap: :clap: :clap:
I was thinking the same thing Rhino.
wokka1
Yak Master
kayak: Compass

Post by wokka1 »

Rhino wrote:
lunar12 wrote:Well done mate.

Question 1: Wouldn't have been easier if you just called 000 as soon as you realised the kayak had no paddler and let them handle it (perhaps even quicker) ?

Question 2: Pending he had his mobile phone with him, why didnt the kayaker do that?
Firstly, you're not my mate.

Secondly, what is it with you and trying to make other people look stupid?

Honestly, it's having the opposite effect.
If there was a like button I'd be wearing my finger out right now pressing it.

Lunar12 you have an uncanny knack of alienating other posters, questioning the honesty of captures from some of the most active and skilled anglers on this forum or otherwise generally "Thread F#@$%&#"

And now you question the actions of someone who went out on a limb and at the very least assisted in the rescue of 2 people. Do you even think about what you type ? Are you being deliberately provocative or do you have Asbergers (I'm serious). If you have some sort of condition that negates your ability to comprehend the effect your posts might have on others tell us. At least then we'll understand why you seem to take such a negative stance on things.
Regards,
Wokka. (aka...Fruitbat)
Fishing... a jerk on one end of the line waiting for a jerk on the other
HaTTerS
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: None (temporarily)

Re: Well Earned Beer (Altona Rescue)

Post by HaTTerS »

Regarding the last three posts:
and Like
Poised on the edge of sanity.
bruyaka
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Hobie Sport, Revo 13

Post by bruyaka »

Just caught this post Daz :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Top effort . Again people are lucky to have someone as observant and willing as you . :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
madfishman
Lord of the fish
kayak: Pro Angler

Post by madfishman »

Rhino, your a true champ.

total repsect to you for thinking so quickly in those conditions and being there to assist .

as per previous comments ...like and LIKE...
Cheers ,
Neilo

www.slhobie.com.au
Allan
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by Allan »

wokka1 wrote:
If there was a like button I'd be wearing my finger out right now pressing it.

Lunar12 you have an uncanny knack of alienating other posters, questioning the honesty of captures from some of the most active and skilled anglers on this forum or otherwise generally "Thread F#@$%&#"

And now you question the actions of someone who went out on a limb and at the very least assisted in the rescue of 2 people. Do you even think about what you type ? Are you being deliberately provocative or do you have Asbergers (I'm serious). If you have some sort of condition that negates your ability to comprehend the effect your posts might have on others tell us. At least then we'll understand why you seem to take such a negative stance on things.
Well said Wokka. I actually thought a similar thing when I read this this morning. There is definitely a pattern starting to form.

Lucky kayaking is largely a solo pursuit!
Michae l
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Malibu X-13 and Cool Kayak 2.5 Seater

Post by Michae l »

Hypothetical Question:
I have fallen outa my Yak and in a bit of Trouble:

Two People walking along the beach
1 Is Rhino the other lunar(tic)12

Whom do you think would be humane enough, thoughtful enough, to rescue you ?

Well done Rhino, Very Level headed the way you thought it all through
You say they would have been ok anyway, but as you know every second counts

Well done again
Can't wait to shake your hand in person
vikodin
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: 2016 Hobie Outback

Post by vikodin »

HaTTerS wrote:Regarding the last three posts:
and Like
Pretty sure I need say nothing but as above LIKE
Munroe
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Pro Angler 14, 420 Renegade

Post by Munroe »

Like. As above :thumbsup:
Munroe
http://www.munroessoftplastics.com.au
PB snapper-83cm Flathead-68cm, Dusky Flathead-80cm,EP-39cm Bream- 38cm,Tailor-58cm, Mulloway-85cm
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

Jenko wrote:The only thing I've got to say is...WHY the hell would you take a kid that young out in a Kayak? My grand daughters 5 & 9 keep asking for me to take them out and I refuse to until, as I've told them "when you can swim 4 laps of the pool effortlessly" I'll take you. I think he's a total idiot and so is anyone else that "thinks" its cool to take their little kid out for a spin. As Darren said "S#!^ happens" and can happen fast, what would have happened if Darren hadn't seen them and the guy got so cold he just slipped away, what about the kid? What a dip S#!^...the only thing he should have got is a punch in the head.
And as someone who nearly drowned as a kid, I hope that this event does not affect the kid, still in the back of my mind every time I go on the water.
Jenko without meaning to be controversial and with all due respect to your previous experiences as mentioned I would like to say that there are situations where I would find it perfectly fine to have a kid out on a yak. There are a few non negotiables though:
1) the right type of yak - sit ins make rescue more difficult and open hatches are a disaster as most have bulkheads nowadays meaning water has to be removed from there separately as it won't flow into the main cockpit.
2) the right clothing- neither person involved was adequately clothed.
3) sufficient experience to have knowledge of the conditions/weather and with a kid on board I would be paddling in an area known to me not exploring.
4) swimming ability as you mentioned above. I am very impressed by parents that make the effort to make sure their kids can swim at an early age it is a skill that can save them and perhaps another person one day.

I know there are guys on here that do take their kid out and I think if the proper thought and preparation has gone into it then why not?