Kayaker rescued off Millers Rd tonight

JägerMarty
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie Outback 2015

Re: Kayaker rescued off Millers Rd tonight

Post by JägerMarty »

laneends wrote: Stuffing every spare space with bouyancy material is a good start.
Cask wine bags are good for this, they saved a canoe of ours many years ago
Hammertime
Lord of the fish
kayak: 2015 Yellow Outback

Post by Hammertime »

JägerMarty wrote:
laneends wrote: Stuffing every spare space with bouyancy material is a good start.
Pool noodles are also good I've heard... just need to find some.... Probably need about 15 to fill an outback I recon.. maybe more...
Flathead - 56cm - Lorne, Southern Calamari - 33cm - Avalon, Gum 130cm - Altona, Snapper 68cm Altona
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

hammertym wrote:
JägerMarty wrote:
Pool noodles are also good I've heard... just need to find some.... Probably need about 15 to fill an outback I recon.. maybe more...
why not use empty platic coke bottles they weigh less and have more buoyancy -
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
Munroe
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Pro Angler 14, 420 Renegade

Post by Munroe »

laneends wrote:
Stuffing every spare space with bouyancy material is a good start.

This was one thing that had baffled one of the guys from water police. I recieved a call later last night asking a few questions to assist in the pending enquiry.
His main concern was that the kayak which was factory fitted and sold with the motor,was not fitted out with active bouyancy within the hull. Whether the guy had removed it? or the manufacturer believed it to be not nessecary, who knows but they definately had issues raising the yak off the bottom :wtf:

As Sog had mentioned he was an experienced kayaker but his complantency and the seas got the better of him in the matter of seconds

The guy looks like he'll cop a fine for an unreg vessel but having licence and reg will still not prevent these sort of things happening.

Just hope that the new guys here take an extensive read of our saftey section, take heed of our own accounts and ensure that they are prepared for when things go pearshaped.
Munroe
http://www.munroessoftplastics.com.au
PB snapper-83cm Flathead-68cm, Dusky Flathead-80cm,EP-39cm Bream- 38cm,Tailor-58cm, Mulloway-85cm
viperdevil
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Hobie Outfitter & Sevylor Pointer K2

Post by viperdevil »

I had few old cheap PFD stuffed inside my outfitter. I also had the good spare PFD in there rather than it sitting at home. When one cheap aduld pfd can make a person weighing 60kg float.....few of them inside the hull should hold good for most of the situation was my theory.

Stay safe out there gents.....silly season has just started.
Praz
Hvalross
Lord of the fish
kayak: Yellow Hobie Pro 14

Post by Hvalross »

Excellent post and comments, very useful for me (and others) as newbies.

I have 4 old style life jackets that will now join the already installed foam boyancy. This is a really useful suggestion to have made -thanks
In floor Plano boxes are being relocated above decks......immediately!!
Valuables in a waterproof aroud my waist...or in the pocket of the PFD I wear,....... from now on.
Lifeproof cover iPhone in the PFD I am wearing

Emergency items always above decks when on the water.

Any other things to consider appreciated as I am still getting my rig and habits established.

Added Called in to clark rubber, 1.5m pool noodles ultra light 100% buoyant and SOFT available in three diameters from 100mm ($9 each) casks flimsy, plastic bottles hard Noodles fit any and all nook and cranny!

Cheers
Andrew
Last edited by Hvalross on 10 Oct 2015, 17:40, edited 3 times in total.
When all else fails........read the instructions!
Studies have shown that people who have more Birthdays tend to live longer...
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Flotation wont make a yak useable in an emergency, it just ensures it stays on the surface so you have something to hang on to if worse comes to worse, as you may be somewhere less visible and not picked up as quick even with PLB.
Anthony
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie PA12

Post by Anthony »

laneends wrote:Flotation wont make a yak useable in an emergency, it just ensures it stays on the surface so you have something to hang on to if worse comes to worse, as you may be somewhere less visible and not picked up as quick even with PLB.
I think it would make righting the yak easier because there would be less water in the hull. When I got the PA I flipped it over with the hatch open in shallow water to see what it was like. It still floated when the hull was full of water but it much harder to flip it back over. Once I got it back upright it had lost a lot of it's stability but using the manual bilge pump worked well to quickly clear the water out. Not something I'd want to do in poor conditions but well worth practicing incase you do.
Dognut
Square eyes
kayak: .

Post by Dognut »

hammertym wrote:Definitely good work on the boat that got to him and helped him out.

I'm now carrying a marine radio for this exact purpose. Although I have no intention of going in the water, if it happens and I can't get myself sorted I'll be putting a call on on 16 with pan-pan and hoping some of the boats in the nearby area are scanning
Call on 67. Better. 16 isn't used much in Melbourne. I don't know why.
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Post by 4liters »

How would gap filler foam go for extra buoyancy in an emergency? Half of my yak isn't easily accessible to stuff things like PFDs down due to a very small hatch, scuppers and rod holders and the foam seems like it could be sprayed right down into the parts I can't get to.