Nearly sank the yak..

vicyak
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie PA 14

Re: Nearly sank the yak..

Post by vicyak »

I remember reading an article 2 years ago about this and spoke about noodles getting waterlogged eventually and not aiding after this occurs and could impede the balance. If you are paranoid about water filling up then yes an automated bilge pump would be best. Personally although I'm overweight I'm a good swimmer and feel confident in swimming back if I need to. few km's wouldn't be much of an issue. I'm touching wood...
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Re: Nearly sank the yak..

Post by laneends »

vicyak wrote:I remember reading an article 2 years ago about this and spoke about noodles getting waterlogged eventually and not aiding after this occurs and could impede the balance. If you are paranoid about water filling up then yes an automated bilge pump would be best. Personally although I'm overweight I'm a good swimmer and feel confident in swimming back if I need to. few km's wouldn't be much of an issue. I'm touching wood...
Noodles/coke bottles or any bouyancy aids are simply to stop it disappearing under the waves, especially after a structural failure. Any stability has gone well before any bouyancy aid has any effect. You are correct in saying that if you intend to able to stay aboard then it comes down to pumping out faster than it is coming in, if it is still taking on water.

Coke bottles are hard to pack in and keep in place. The noodles are also used to form compartments so items stored inside dont dissapear out of reach