Nearly sank the yak..

laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Nearly sank the yak..

Post by laneends »

Bit of a late report but the other week out of kirks point, I was drifting for squid, gave up and headed out to spoil grounds to soak some baits. opened the hatch to switch jigs for hooks and found several inches of water in the hull and tackle boxes floating around WTF :o

Quickly pulled up anchor, whipped out the hand pump and pedaled back pronto while pumping away. Luckily tide was in so landed on headland rather than having to make it back to launch. Dragged it up on beach. My dumbass fault. This was the culprit
20170116_171651r.jpg
yak was stinking after last trip so i flushed and drained it, and forgot to put the small drain plug back in properly. :oops:

It is easy to do as you dont notice it when packing away or setting up as it is small and underneath, not like the regular ones. So late model Adventure owners who have these drains be aware, don't leave it unattended to drain or you may forget.

Lucky points:
~wasn't at plan A ie Lang lang chasing tide out , hence nowhere to beach
~mill pond conditions so no destabilizing issues, and could leave hatch open to pump
~Had the appropriate pump to hand
~pedal yak so could pump and pedal at same time
~dont use a fitted tackle tray and so could see water as soon as opened hatch
~Hadn't gone on a big trip and so was only about 1km or so out.
~High tide allowed for beaching on otherwise rocky point.

Just shows how easily things can go pear shaped, it could easily have been a lot worse under different conditions. Doubt if I will use that drain again, its a disaster waiting to happen
Rhino
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Streaker Tournament/Zodiac

Re: Nearly sank the yak..

Post by Rhino »

With all the yaks I owned over the years I never removed a bung/drain plug (except in one re-entry video for effect). After washing, I always bailed or sponged out excess water from the front hatch.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Rhino wrote:With all the yaks I owned over the years I never removed a bung/drain plug (except in one re-entry video for effect). After washing, I always bailed or sponged out excess water from the front hatch.
Ditto this was first time I ever did that and probably why I forgot to screw it back in. Lesson learned. This drain seems to be a recent model addition. Old adventure doesn't have it, and I dont think regular revo or outback has it.
ratfish
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Outback + mini x + AI

Post by ratfish »

I undid mine recently to flush it and that was the primary reason for a quick stop when I ran into you the other day Daz, luckily the AI can handle a bit of extra water...
Glad it worked out okay for you
Justo
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie PA 14

Post by Justo »

Glad it turned out o.k for you Keith.
vicyak
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie PA 14

Post by vicyak »

I did that a little while ago. Didn't take on much water however I was only on the water for 5 minutes before the light bulb went off in my head.

When I flipped the yak and they guys towed the yak back to shore the hull was I'd say close to 100% full of water. Didn't sink. Great design PA14
cruiser
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: AI

Post by cruiser »

About 2 years ago at South West Rocks a fella climbed to the back of his yak and began to head butt 2 to 3 ft waves ,not that I would know anything about that :roll:
mob 0423 492 759
Yako
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA 14, A.I, Revo16 & 4.1 Ocean Kayak

Post by Yako »

I'm with Rhino there. I never take bungs out but tip forward & sponge/bail :up:
John 3.16/17
chunk9000
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Pro Fisha 525

Post by chunk9000 »

I was wondering what you were talking about in your recent report Keith. I know I have made mistakes and forgotten things when rushing or talking at launch. I have a bit of a routine when setting up (OCD maybe?) but helps me get things right. Glad you got in ok.
Tim399
Lord of the fish
kayak: Terrapin XL, 2012 PA14

Post by Tim399 »

Geez lucky you had all those points on your side mate, I'm glad it turned out ok and you made it back safely