Re: Scary story

Post by westy »

Glad you are ok Rob :o .
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

As others have said, glad you're ok and kudos for taking the time to post it up for us to learn from :thumbsup:
Hvalross
Lord of the fish
kayak: Yellow Hobie Pro 14

Post by Hvalross »

laneends wrote:An important issue here is "many remounts'. This is the difference between a surf capsize than a regular one. Firstly this takes fitness and stamina, made worse when it is cold, especially given lack of appropriate clothing. Secondly importance of a surf capable kayak, which the prowler is. A Hobie is not, they progressively take on water when rolled in the surf and repeated capsizes would end up with a kayak that you couldn't remount even if you had the energy to do so. Its one thing being washed up on the beach with a part flooded kayak and another being still out there trying to remount due to a sand bar with nowhere to land
PA owners in particular need to put extra attention to that front hatch seal.
My PA was brand new and the seal felt a tad too tight......after just one practice roll over it took Lobo, Shane and myself to lift the hull enough to get the water out.

DO NOT under ANY circumstances allow yourself to be depending on a hand pump to get you out of strife. Its a liability, not an aid, and is about as much use as tits on a bull because it cant pick up water until there is already too much under those circumstances..

The wave action was putting water into the part submerged yak too fast....YES IT TOOK 25% FLOODED ON THE FIRST ROLL..... and each subsequent wave added an equal volume....ANYONE TELLS YOU DIFFERENT THEY ARE BULLSHITTING........
When all else fails........read the instructions!
Studies have shown that people who have more Birthdays tend to live longer...
choppers
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: prowler elite 4.5

Post by choppers »

Thanks guys.
I am glad i chose the prowler only took on about 2liters in the whole incident.
Andrew thanks for the offer mate but iv still got 3 rods and that will be plenty for when i do get out next. Appreciate the offer thou
"Ye old town" Yak captures - gummy (116) salmon (32) flatty (35) yakka (28) silver trev (25) couta (38) plus all the garbage fish

Prowler victims - squid (30cm) Gar (36) Snapper (80 :yahoo: ) kgw (39)
Hvalross
Lord of the fish
kayak: Yellow Hobie Pro 14

Post by Hvalross »

choppers wrote:Thanks guys.
I am glad i chose the prowler only took on about 2liters in the whole incident.
Andrew thanks for the offer mate but iv still got 3 rods and that will be plenty for when i do get out next. Appreciate the offer thou
:thumbsup:
When all else fails........read the instructions!
Studies have shown that people who have more Birthdays tend to live longer...
leap
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Stealth 575

Post by leap »

S#!^ mate. Glad you are fine.

What made you go out there?

Looks like Angelo is getting a few new items :evilgrin:
leap
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Stealth 575

Post by leap »

mingle
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: one

Post by mingle »

Scary story - glad you came through (mostly) okay....

@leap,

That's not a bar-crossing - THIS is a bar-crossing!

shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

Good on you for posting your experience Rob. :up:

The swell was forecast around 0.9m, which doesn't sound that much but every beach/bar is different and add in an outgoing tide the waves can stand up that bit higher. I expect the wave conditions were more challenging than on the surf practice days down there. At least you will have a much better appreciation of the kind of wave conditions you can safely attempt. An outgoing tide can also add to the danger by keeping you in the impact zone instead of being washed back in with wave action.

Sorry about the lost gear. It sounds like you may need to look at how you set up for going through the surf zone. I will only ever go out with all rods and gear set up as normal if the surf is very flat. In any decent surf the reels and gear goes in dry bags in or tied to the hull and the rods are strapped down on the deck or in the hull if they fit. Heading back in is even worse so it's always worth taking the time to pack everything away before crossing the surf. You should head through the surf expecting to get dumped and have your gear secured so none of it gets lost. Clothing is another matter but it sounds like you've identified a few things in that regard.
0408 565 763
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

I guess you weren't expecting a surf crossing to be necc when you launched which contributed for not being ready for it.

I guess the lesson there is if going into the ocean be prepared for the possibility. It could have been flat on the way out then standing up on the way back