Working fine for me Andrew.
Steve_R
Square eyes
kayak: Hurricane Skimmer

Re: Another heads up re. closing rear hatches

Post by Steve_R »

time2fish wrote:Video not working man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC-QAc5f26w

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience - Greg King

It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows ― Epictetus

BOT? https://checkip.kaspersky.com/
Windknot
Lord of the fish
kayak: Malibu Mini X & Native Watercraft Propel

Post by Windknot »

I believe Hobie kayaks have a block of foam buoyancy material located in the front section of the kayak. You can see in the video in the OP how the kayak is sitting in the water, with its bow up in the air and its stern well under the water. If this kayak had been fitted with another block of foam in the stern section, it probably would have floated horizontally in the water, even though it was full of water. If it did float horizontally in the water, would it then be possible to bail the water out and to remount the kayak? Would it be worth having another block of foam installed in the rear section?
There's only a fine distinction between fly fishing and standing on the bank looking like an idiot.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Windknot wrote:I believe Hobie kayaks have a block of foam buoyancy material located in the front section of the kayak. You can see in the video in the OP how the kayak is sitting in the water, with its bow up in the air and its stern well under the water. If this kayak had been fitted with another block of foam in the stern section, it probably would have floated horizontally in the water, even though it was full of water. If it did float horizontally in the water, would it then be possible to bail the water out and to remount the kayak? Would it be worth having another block of foam installed in the rear section?
Floatation blocks in hobies are wedged under the seat area and tankwell. Once flipped and flooded it would be hard/impossible to flip over to bail. The hull would have air pockets, the rear hatch being open air would be not trapped at that end, hence it would be tail down. Without rear flotation blocks it would most likely have been more vertical in the water.

But yes the more flotation in the hull the less water and the greater the chance of of righting and bailing. However you would have to know hatch was open and close it first to do any effective bailing. In fact to bail you would also need access to a hatch above the water which wasn't too far that you cant reach water level without an extension on pump..ie once kayak is not sitting reasonably level you cant actually reach the water in the hull to bail with a regular hand pump.

Makes me think that having an extension pipe available for your bailing pump could become a necessity at times. There also comes a point were it is not physically possible to access the hull to bail anyway
cruiser
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: AI

Post by cruiser »

He is a a thought and not just for hobies why don,t all yaks have a a sealed compartment in the bough and the stern so they can not sink ,ships can do it and and certain boats do it ,its not rocket science ,sure you might lose storage space but what is more important storage or safety
mob 0423 492 759
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

cruiser wrote:He is a a thought and not just for hobies why don,t all yaks have a a sealed compartment in the bough and the stern so they can not sink ,ships can do it and and certain boats do it ,its not rocket science ,sure you might lose storage space but what is more important storage or safety
I helped make a couple of canoes as a teenager. We simply poured marine expanding foam into the bow and stern where it's too narrow to store much. Easy to do and will provide front and rear flotation. You would just need to make sure rudder lines were well shielded. I haven't gone down that route with mine but have placed extra buoyancy foam inside the hull that was left over from a previous PA.
0408 565 763
pots
Apprentice
kayak: revolution 13

Post by pots »

I have looked at this situation a while ago. Pool noodles cut to size and stuffed into the stern and other parts of the kayak will improve flotation, and will (technically) keep the kayak more horizontal if swamped. This should help with bailing if required. They can be cable tied to keep clear of rudder and battery cables etc, and the ties can be cut if the noodles need to be removed.
cruiser
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: AI

Post by cruiser »

I see were you are comeing from guys but we should not be doing all this i have type 2 pdfs inside the yak to help keep it boyant ,the manufactures that make yaks should make them fail safe period ! so in the event things go south you have some sort of chance
mob 0423 492 759