EasyTrailer for Outback

melbshayne
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: hobie revo13

EasyTrailer for Outback

Post by melbshayne »

So i have been thinking about getting a trailer for my Outback for some time as I'm trying to find easier ways to transport and load the yak so it's easier on me and less damage ( scartches + salt water damage ) to my Nissan Navara because its a ( company ) car so i should be looking after it.

After reading a few post and taking in a few Vyakers thoughts i decided to go ahead and buy a easy trailer.

I headed to Bayswater to have a look at their showroom and speak to the dealer about the setup and specks of the trailer. Paid on the spot and recieved my trailer in 4 days.

I spent 4 nights after work putting it together, nothing hard about it, just time consuming.

Anyways today i made up some cradles for the kayak and I must say i'm over the moon with the results.

I just wheel the kayak up to the back of the trailer then drag up on the cradles. Drag all the way to just where the Hobie cart wheels are just hanging off the ground. Pull the trolley out and then drag the yak the rest of the way forward. So much easier.

I have the kayak to one side of the trailer, and I am going to get 2 Aluminium Tool boxes and mount them to the other side for storage of all my kayak gear.

Not sure if i should get some Marine Carpet and wrap the Cradles with it.. what do you think i should do??

If anyone was thinking about going down the trailer road, I say "Go for It"
Attachments
Melbourne-20120923-00668_opt.jpg
Melbourne-20120923-00668_opt.jpg (27.95 KiB) Viewed 4136 times
Melbourne-20120923-00665_opt.jpg
Melbourne-20120923-00665_opt.jpg (23.44 KiB) Viewed 4136 times
Melbourne-20120923-00664_opt.jpg
Melbourne-20120923-00664_opt.jpg (21.87 KiB) Viewed 4136 times
Melbourne-20120923-00663_opt.jpg
Melbourne-20120923-00663_opt.jpg (22.49 KiB) Viewed 4136 times
Melbourne-20120923-00661_opt.jpg
Melbourne-20120923-00661_opt.jpg (23.45 KiB) Viewed 4136 times
Melbourne-20120922-00657_opt.jpg
Melbourne-20120922-00657_opt.jpg (25.49 KiB) Viewed 4136 times
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Re: EasyTrailer for Outback

Post by maverick »

Looks great, I love using my trailer - went the box trailer option with fold down ends, as then I also had a normal trailer for home use. I made a slide for the yak and covered it in some cheap outdoor carpet from Bunnings, seems to work ok.

Also good to have the roof option for when parking with a trailer is tight. :thumbsup:
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
kads

Post by kads »

sweet set up mate..I also have a trailer, but I used 30mm RHS for the frame and wrapped it with pool noodles.
It wouldnt hurt to put some marine carpet on your rails, anything to help protect road bumps and vibrations on your hull.
Oh dont forget to padlock the safety chains to your tow ball tongue..imagine coming back from a great day on the yak to find some one liked your trailer too..

have you driven with the set up yet...???
Gazza
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie PA 14

Post by Gazza »

Does that trailer need to be registered ?

Gazza
melbshayne
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by melbshayne »

Yes it does mate, because its over 3m long.
If its under 200kg, not wider than you car and less than 3m long then you don't have to register.
Babylon
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: 2017 Hobie Revo 13, Hobie Compass Duo

Post by Babylon »

kads wrote:sweet set up mate..I also have a trailer, but I used 30mm RHS for the frame and wrapped it with pool noodles.
It wouldnt hurt to put some marine carpet on your rails, anything to help protect road bumps and vibrations on your hull.
Oh dont forget to padlock the safety chains to your tow ball tongue..imagine coming back from a great day on the yak to find some one liked your trailer too..

Something like this I use to lock up with. Price around i only pulled this one up to show you.Cheers Jim :thumbsup:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Dual-Trailer ... 51a196ddf4
Sorry forgot to mention Very nice indeed gotta love having a trailer :clap: :clap:
Graybalz85
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie PA (Sponge Bob)

Post by Graybalz85 »

melbshayne wrote:Yes it does mate, because its over 3m long.
If its under 200kg, not wider than you car and less than 3m long then you don't have to register.
Been told by a copper few years ago if its any type of water craft on a trailer it's ment to be registered
Yak PB: Leatherjacket 35.5cm, elephant fish 69.5cm, salmon 44cm, Whiting 38cm, squid (30cm Hood), Gummy 104cm, Flathead 34cm, Travelly 40cm, Pinkie 36cm
Jenko
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Big Aluminium One

Post by Jenko »

Hi Shayne, have you registered it as a boat trailer, I did with mine so I could park at boat ramp parks reserved for boat trailer and not get fined.
Once you have used the triler for a while, you will never go back to putting the yak on top of the car, I had the same problems with my Triton ute, now just slide her on the trailer. :thumbsup:
Cheers Gary...
WestVic Signs 0429 184 940
I got a sweater for Xmas, really wanted a moaner or screamer.

Flathead PB 83cm Bream PB 43cm Luderick 38cm
kads

Post by kads »

Babylon wrote:
kads wrote:sweet set up mate..I also have a trailer, but I used 30mm RHS for the frame and wrapped it with pool noodles.

Something like this I use to lock up with. Price around i only pulled this one up to show you.Cheers Jim :thumbsup:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Dual-Trailer ... 51a196ddf4
Sorry forgot to mention Very nice indeed gotta love having a trailer :clap: :clap:
I just padlock one chain to the pin in the tongue..that way no one can knock off the trailer, and no one can take out the tongue, and then once the yak is off, I reverse the trailer up against a pole or wall. :thumbsup:
melbshayne
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by melbshayne »

Just wondering what noticable difference is there from a boat trailer to just light trailer registration?

Is there different coding on the Rego sticker or different colour?