Transformer trailer, more then meets the eye.

Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Re: Transformer trailer, more then meets the eye.

Post by Seasherpa »

Babylon wrote:
FishnDive wrote:Nice work Gozz.
It might also be worth noting that now that your trailer is more than 3m long you legally should have a set of side lights on it too, but I don't know if you would ever get pinged for it by the cops.
Yep its the width not the length my trailer is 4.5 metres long and didn't have to worry about side lights.Babylon :thumbsup:
Sorry Jim, its reflectors not lamps I edited the earlier post. :thumbsup:
Gozz
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 and 2 ebay jobs.

Post by Gozz »

sawtell wrote:
Gozz wrote:
Yakatack wrote:Gozz. Good think'n man but make sure its legal.

Thats a long extention, we know it will take the weight of the yak but will VR :?

Cheers Dave.
Hmmm that did cross my mind.
I'm guessing they would make me get a engineers report.
That would cost a fortune I'm guessing.
What's holding the draw bar in? Is it going to be that gal dome head bolt I see?

I can't see VR liking that

In regards to engineers. Have a look at the vicroads website, they have a pretty good guide for registering a home made trailer. I've always planned on it. Doesn't look hard!
Na that's just temp till I can get to the shop and buy a tow bar pin.
The trailer won't be going no where till its 100% finished.
Gozz
Lord of the fish

Post by Gozz »

FishnDive wrote:Nice work Gozz.
It might also be worth noting that now that your trailer is more than 3m long you legally should have a set of side lights on it too, but I don't know if you would ever get pinged for it by the cops.

Edit: reflectors not lamps sorry.
There is a handy checklist of things to tick off in the light trailer pack located here:
http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rdonl ... 13_WEB.pdf
Thanks mate.
Reflectors wont be a problem I need to replace my boat reflectors also so ill grab them for both.
Gozz
Lord of the fish

Post by Gozz »

This is the tricky bit.
My trailer is under 1800mm wide but the two PA's next to each other are 2050mm.
So I'm guessing its the payload width they would be looking at not the trailer.
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.

Post by Seasherpa »

Gozz wrote:This is the tricky bit.
All good then, you are allowed 2500mm to register as a light trailer and only need red and white clearance lights if it is over 2100mm wide.
sawtell
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie Sport

Post by sawtell »

FishnDive wrote:
All good then, you are allowed 2500mm to register as a light trailer and only need red and white clearance lights if it is over 2100mm wide.

Are you sure? That's what I thought, it's a bit confusing vicroads says trailers must comply with the vechile standards. But then quotes the 2100mm wide thing in the trailer pack.

But the trailer standards state:
"13.1 Front Position (Side) Lamps
These lamps indicate the presence and width of a trailer when viewed from the front.

Presence: Must be fitted if a trailer is more than 1600 mm wide and over 4 metres long, or over 1800 mm wide.

Number: 2.

Arrangement: At the front. See Figure 1. For trailers 2100 mm wide or less, may be combined with 2 side-marker lamps that have been fitted, this being in accordance with Option 1 or Option 2 (see Section 13.8).
Electrical Connections: Must operate with rear position, end-outline (if fitted), side-marker (if fitted) and rear registration lamps.
(For further information, refer to ADR 13/00 Appendix A clause 6.9 and ADR 49/00).
"

Edit: To be honest if never heard of front position lights before. Maybe they aren't needed in Vic, a quick google search shows that in 2012 they became compulsory in WA.

Good luck with finishing it off!
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.

Post by Seasherpa »

sawtell wrote:
FishnDive wrote:

Are you sure? That's what I thought, it's a bit confusing vicroads says trailers must comply with the vechile standards. But then quotes the 2100mm wide thing in the trailer pack.

But the trailer standards state:
"13.1 Front Position (Side) Lamps
These lamps indicate the presence and width of a trailer when viewed from the front.

Presence: Must be fitted if a trailer is more than 1600 mm wide and over 4 metres long, or over 1800 mm wide.

Number: 2.

Arrangement: At the front. See Figure 1. For trailers 2100 mm wide or less, may be combined with 2 side-marker lamps that have been fitted, this being in accordance with Option 1 or Option 2 (see Section 13.8).
Electrical Connections: Must operate with rear position, end-outline (if fitted), side-marker (if fitted) and rear registration lamps.
(For further information, refer to ADR 13/00 Appendix A clause 6.9 and ADR 49/00).
"
They don't make anything straight forward at Vic roads do they?
My trailer is 3.5m by 1.6m wide and came with both reflectors and side lamps (amber). The red and white clearance lamps, I've seen on two different documents as required for trailers over 2100mm wide so Gozz should be fine without them but its always good to give Vicroads a call and get it straight from the horses mouth. :thumbsup:
Gozz
Lord of the fish

Post by Gozz »

First things first I need to get the lights working. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jenko
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Big Aluminium One

Post by Jenko »

My trailer is 4.5m long and did not require any side lights and they also didn't want to see it either, being home built I just needed the receipts of all the materials used to build it (even though I towed it 60ks to show them, he just said "don't need to see it) and it's now registered as a boat trailer.
Cheers Gary...
WestVic Signs 0429 184 940
I got a sweater for Xmas, really wanted a moaner or screamer.

Flathead PB 83cm Bream PB 43cm Luderick 38cm
Babylon
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: 2017 Hobie Revo 13, Hobie Compass Duo

Post by Babylon »

Jenko wrote:My trailer is 4.5m long and did not require any side lights and they also didn't want to see it either, being home built I just needed the receipts of all the materials used to build it (even though I towed it 60ks to show them, he just said "don't need to see it) and it's now registered as a boat trailer.
X2 :thumbsup: