PA 14/Trailer Update!

Vanillazilla
Apprentice
kayak: Hobie Pro Angler 14

PA 14/Trailer Update!

Post by Vanillazilla »

Hey guys

Just wanted to update my new trailer which I picked up yesterday.

Approx. 1 week ago I had almost settled on a 'Triton' Aluminium trailer which I was originally wanting to get because it's both light weight and non corrosive. (see below link)

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/box-hill ... 1094571048

But I then stumbled across a much better trailer made by Redtide Trailers that would not only suit the size of my kayak but allow storage for accessories and a multitude of other things.

Flood lights, LED lights inside boxes, full electronics, USB ports, chargers, pump and water storage to wash down rig and fishing gear after use etc.

What I like most about it, loading and unloading it is easy because it's low to the ground which allows one person to realistically manage without much effort as I found yesterday when my Dad was good enough to let me borrow his Hilux to pick up the trailer.

My brand new 2016 Hilux Workmate finally arrived 4 days ago but am yet to get the towbar fitted.

I plan to have it done in the next 1-2 weeks.

I'm trying to do as much OT at work to cover the cost of what else I need to finish the rig.

Almost there now though so it's just the final stages.

Well anyways, here are some pics so tell me your thoughts.

Also some pics of my new beast of a 2016 Workmate.

I'll update some new ones when I get the new towbar fitted and possibly have the yak wrapped.

I'll keep you posted.

Cheers

- Dan
Attachments
Hilux96dpi00006.jpg
Hilux96dpi00001.jpg
96dpi00018.jpg
Trailer & Hobie Pro Angler 14 hooked up to my old mans Hilux.
Trailer & Hobie Pro Angler 14 hooked up to my old mans Hilux.
96dpi00010.jpg
Flood light located at rear of trailer.
Flood light located at rear of trailer.
96dpi00005.jpg
bjspinner
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 180Drive/ Oasis

Re: PA 14/Trailer Update!

Post by bjspinner »

Movable axle is one of the reasons I stayed away from a few brands of trailer.
I ended up with a 4.3m boat trailer that had adjustable wheel base, moved the wheels back around 8 inches it now tows well.
I have the PA12 and a 600mm ali box between the gaurds 80 litrs water tank under the box with frame work for another yak up top down the centre.
Mobile 0418991898
PB: Micro surgery on one of Scuba Sue's Gummy's
Vanillazilla
Apprentice

Post by Vanillazilla »

Fellas I'm not entirely sure what to make of some of the responses but I respect your opinions.

Personally I'm extremely happy with the trailer and its performance when towing.

Some people have a preference for heavy trailers and some prefer lightweight.

As far as I'm concerned as long as you're happy with the end result and it gets you to and from your fishing locations safely, that's all that matters.

The trailer I purchased is a quality rig above and beyond all trailers I have previously checked out.

I've not come across a trailer so perfectly and specifically designed for these types of kayaks.

Jason of Redtide Trailers has a Hobie Outback and has been transporting it with the same model trailer I purchased.

They're good trailers and I would recommend them with confidence to anyone considering a new Kayak trailer.

And no I have no financial interest or stakes in Redtide Trailers.

It just so happens that I stumbled across them in this very forum from a post made recently by another member.

Thanks all for your input and feedback.

My next mission is getting my Yak wrapped.

I'll keep you posted.
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

Vanillazilla wrote:Fellas I'm not entirely sure what to make of some of the responses but I respect your opinions.
Personally I'm extremely happy with the trailer and its performance when towing.
I don't know what everyone going on about ether - the unit looks well balanced with well and truly enough weight over the draw bar
it looks like it would tow really well

just guessing on the weight I doubt the trailer would be over 300 Kg bare add a PA that still leave a lot of room for gear before it went over 750 Kg

just my thoughts on the subject
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
Galey
Lord of the fish
kayak: Ok Frenzy

Post by Galey »

I like this setup. Functional and simple, two of my favourite things. :thumbsup:
sawtell
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie Sport

Post by sawtell »

cheaterparts wrote:
Vanillazilla wrote:Fellas I'm not entirely sure what to make of some of the responses but I respect your opinions.
I don't know what everyone going on about ether - the unit looks well balanced with well and truly enough weight over the draw bar

just guessing on the weight I doubt the trailer would be over 300 Kg bare add a PA that still leave a lot of room for gear before it went over 750 Kg

+1 to the above.

Seems to be a lot of people on vyak at the moment who just want to read themselves type.

To the topic,I think that set up looks grouse! Maybe you havnt mentioned it on purpose, but what price range is that in? Can't be cheap!! Big fan of inbuilt wash down system. Beats my pump spray I carry!

I'm seriously considering anither PA and a trailer, these setups make me want it even more!
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

Nice rig mate. Time to get that esky covered in fish guts so you can test out the wash unit :thumbsup:
happyas
Lord of the fish
kayak: stealth evo 465

Post by happyas »

Looks great Dan. Congratulations.
bjspinner
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 180Drive/ Oasis

Post by bjspinner »

Some people have a preference for heavy trailers and some prefer lightweight.

As far as I'm concerned as long as you're happy with the end result and it gets you to and from your fishing locations safely, that's all that matters.

The trailer I purchased is a quality rig above and beyond all trailers I have previously checked out.

I've not come across a trailer so perfectly and specifically designed for these types of kayaks.

Jason of Redtide Trailers has a Hobie Outback and has been transporting it with the same model trailer I purchased.

They're good trailers and I would recommend them with confidence to anyone considering a new Kayak trailer.

And no I have no financial interest or stakes in Redtide Trailers.

It just so happens that I stumbled across them in this very forum from a post made recently by another member.

Thanks all for your input and feedback.

My next mission is getting my Yak wrapped.

I'll keep you posted.
Unfortunately all the opinions you get sometimes are not relevant . :roll:

The frame above the kayak is that part of the Redtide package or owner done?

I does look great however, I would lift the frame up higher so you don't have to remove the seat to fit under the frame this also gives you the opportunity to leave the sounder and rod holders mounted for a quick launch setup.
Cover the water tank it will get hot in the sun.

My trailer has been a year in the setup these are little things I found very convenient and bound to find more as you use yours.
Mobile 0418991898
PB: Micro surgery on one of Scuba Sue's Gummy's
Vanillazilla
Apprentice

Post by Vanillazilla »

sawtell wrote:
cheaterparts wrote:

+1 to the above.

Seems to be a lot of people on vyak at the moment who just want to read themselves type.

To the topic,I think that set up looks grouse! Maybe you havnt mentioned it on purpose, but what price range is that in? Can't be cheap!! Big fan of inbuilt wash down system. Beats my pump spray I carry!

I'm seriously considering anither PA and a trailer, these setups make me want it even more!
Hi there Alex

Mate the price of the Redtide Deluxe Single (Same trailer as mine) is approx. $3295

http://redtide.com.au/redtide-deluxe-single/

The washdown system is indeed a worthy accessory imo especially with saltwater being like dunking your shiny expensive gear in a bucket of acid.

I am very meticulous with how I wash my things down after using them in saltwater so my line of thinking was doing it immediately after retrieving the Yak and loading it back on saves time and hassles later on.