Hobie outback or narive mariner ?????

Got an review on your kayak? Post it here!
Hvalross
Lord of the fish
kayak: Yellow Hobie Pro 14

Re: Hobie outback or narive mariner ?????

Post by Hvalross »

bjspinner wrote:
Hvalross wrote:Short of having a bow mounted electric on a casting boat, pedal power is right up there in lure fishing on the water for versatility.
The mirage has no reverse, or so I thought, until I let the wind blow me backwards, and river currents push me back or left and right, subtle shifts of rudder and controlled propulsion more than compensate.

My vision of a kayak was paddle power, don't quite know how I got diverted to mirage, but I am glad I did, its just so bloody versatile, and the more you explore its potential the more you find.

Using wind, current, and mirage you can better keep a fish at the optimum position to best have a crack at a once in a lifetime fish in a way that I can not imagine being able to if I had gone paddle..............I'm pretty sure I would have been disappointed enough with paddle, to sell and use the bow mount electric casting platform, and ignore the smell and noise of petrol.

If I started again I would buy the PA14 it handles better, the 12 is a bathtub by comparison IMHO. I was advised to go 12 based on my look ( an older person) I guess now, and perceived strength and fitness....the moment I bought the trailer I SHOULD have gone straight back to my first intuition PA14. I lift and carry more weight than the 14 all day, so it would not have been an issue!!! I just did not think it through properly, so thats what I would contribute to your choosing.........take some think time, try them out and get as many inputs as you can.....it will get you where you need to be.

By the way I am not advocating the PA over the Outback, I have no opinion or knowledge to offer on that choice.

Good Luck!!
You can put the mirage drive in backwards to get reverse, good if you need to maintain position upwind of where you want to cast.

Otherwise one of these is invaluable in a mirage drive yak

http://slhobie.com.au/gear/kayak-fishin ... and-paddle
I have one of those and it gets a bit of use from time to time.........knowing me in a tight spot on a big fish I'd forget I switched the drive an blast off in the wrong direction.... :o
When all else fails........read the instructions!
Studies have shown that people who have more Birthdays tend to live longer...
bjspinner
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 180Drive/ Oasis

Post by bjspinner »

Great if you need a tight turn, peddle like hell while back-paddling on the side you have the rudder turned to.
Mobile 0418991898
PB: Micro surgery on one of Scuba Sue's Gummy's
Wind Waker
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback, Hobie PA14 MD180,

Post by Wind Waker »

They are also good for pesky sea snakes...
Live long, fish hard and hopefully catch something.
Hvalross
Lord of the fish
kayak: Yellow Hobie Pro 14

Post by Hvalross »

If we all have one, how about a bat tennis tourney off Millers.....
Someone need bring a supply of toadies....
When all else fails........read the instructions!
Studies have shown that people who have more Birthdays tend to live longer...
Piscateur
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Hobie Outback 2011 & Native Slayer 10

Post by Piscateur »

I have an Outback pre Lowrance mount model, and a Native Slayer 10.
With my outback I run the STT fins with Sailing rudder. And currently everything standard on the slayer.
I find both travel as fast on the cruise, with the Hobie having greater top speed due to cavitation in the Propel system.
The sailing rudder make the outback more responsive in steering, there is an option to purchase a Berleypro rudder which I hear great things of.
Having reverse and being able to stop on the spot in the Native is its greatest asset. Especially when working a snag properly from all angles. or reversing when you've hooked up and not be dragged into snag. Or fishing a wind blown bank and being able to face it without being blown into the bank.
The slayer is much lighter than the outback for lifting but both are still manageable without aids.
There is less room in the back of the slayer if you want to fit an esky and a tackle bag.
The slayer is more stable for standup fishing.
Overall I'm still getting used to my slayer and getting it setup properly for my fishing needs, and ive had my Outback for 3 years and plenty of fond captures. Pros and cons for both but if I had to choose I'd buy the slayer.
Franko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Dune AI, stealth Supalite X

Post by Franko »

Alex thank you for that insight i believe you are correct regarding both pros and cons what do you think about the drives ? i am leaning towards the Native mariner as a second yak and keep the OK that way i have best of all worlds Sailing, motorised paddle and peddle is that being to greedy ???? for offshore an ppb deep the OK for inshore/estuary the Native ???? Its a hard life
0401 314 820

Instagram Page Franko Fishes
Gozz
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 and 2 ebay jobs.

Post by Gozz »

If I was to buy a native I would buy a slayer over a mariner if your going to use it in the bay as the slayer is more suited to rough weather.