Hobie outback or narive mariner ?????

Got an review on your kayak? Post it here!
Franko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Dune AI, stealth Supalite X

Hobie outback or narive mariner ?????

Post by Franko »

I am 100 percent addicted to fishing out of a yak. It is a another level of sport fishing for me. Extremely challenging and fun plus feel good to be actiive on the water. So my dilemma is at the moment im a paddler in my ocean kayak torque it can be hands free with the built in motor but i haven't used due to vic laws.She is a great yak just a touch long for skinny waters.I am considering converting to pedal power to take my fishing up a notch. I really like the native mariner or the hobie outback would be my chiice of hobie. Im sure both would suit me well and should i keep the ocean kayak. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
0401 314 820

Instagram Page Franko Fishes
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Re: Hobie outback or narive mariner ?????

Post by laneends »

Apart from the propulsion system I would try them as the basic hulls themselves will be a sharp contrast to the OK. You dont want to feel like you have down sized into a bath tub, especially once it gets choppy. Not saying these are bad choices just that they will be a lot different to an OK. It may even put the revo on the short list.

factors to consider are:
Utility: set up for fishing, plenty of room etc
Performance: that kayak feeling over functionality.

Are you a kayaker who likes to fish, or a fisho who uses a kayak as a fishing platform?
Anthony
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie PA12

Post by Anthony »

I would recommend contacting one of the Hobie dealers and Native dealers and giving them a go on the water. Both are good kayaks so it's really down to personal preference on which is better.
Franko
Lord of the fish

Post by Franko »

laneends wrote:Apart from the propulsion system I would try them as the basic hulls themselves will be a sharp contrast to the OK. You dont want to feel like you have down sized into a bath tub, especially once it gets choppy. Not saying these are bad choices just that they will be a lot different to an OK. It may even put the revo on the short list.

factors to consider are:
Utility: set up for fishing, plenty of room etc
Performance: that kayak feeling over functionality.

Are you a kayaker who likes to fish, or a fisho who uses a kayak as a fishing platform?
I would have to be a fisho who wants to be on the water. I have put in consideration the things i like on the OK deck regarding fishing ability and would be looking at the mariner 12.5 for the reason of i don't want to down grade vessel. I Also really enjoy paddling full stop but think going to pedals would be a good move although i may be wrong.

mariner 12.5
Pros: hands free fishing with out registering
dry butt due to high seat
rear deck designed for re-entry low and flat (safety)
flat deck area no clutter
stable hull
recessed front hatch gear storage on top
side pockets for tackle boxes
accessory mounts

outback
pros: Its a hobie
sail mount
lowrance friendly
proven performer
waterproof hatches mid and rear
large front hatch
plenty of side storage
lighter then Native ( a few kgs)
accessories

these are a few things i have been checking out
0401 314 820

shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

Definitely try them out on the water yourself and get the opinions of actual owners.

Coming from an OK you will be somewhat familiar with what makes a good performing kayak hull. With this in mind take a critical look at the kayak hull design of all options (take drive system out of it) and make sure you are confident that the hull design matches the type of fishing you do and could potentially do. For example if you see yourself covering distance offshore or in rough water then the revo 13 or 16 may be a better option than the outback. Similarly if you are going to spend much time in open (bay) waters then it should be obvious to stay away from the propel 10.

Have a look around and see what's popular or what the majority doing your kind of fishing are using, there may be some good reasons.

Finally use the search function on here. This and related topics have been discussed many times in the past. That way you can gather the opinions of people over time, not just those who would respond to a single post.
0408 565 763
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

If you still enjoy paddling are you going to keep the OK? Most of the pedal yaks are pretty second rate on the paddle, or at least enough to take any enjoyment out of it. The Adventure is the only decent paddler and even that suffers from maneuverability issues due to having hand operated rudder.

Most likely you will find once you start fishing with pedals you just dont get around to paddling as a primary mover, unless you have a glass yak which is a whole new speciality
vicyak
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie PA 14

Post by vicyak »

Frank when we go out next I'm happy to switch kayaks for the session. PA14. It is heavy.
Franko
Lord of the fish

Post by Franko »

Shane cheers for the feedback there is not much separating the 2 that i am interested i spent the weekend searching most definitely the mariner 12.5 is the Native i am keen on as for off it is something i am keen on doing in a group. Which leaves me to answer Keith's question I do enjoy paddling but sometimes fishing and paddling are hard to do especially when sounding around and flicking a plastic. I also have at my disposal A Cobra tourer (super quick on the water) I know the OK is a great platform maybe i should keep it instead of sell but then what would you choose on any given day?
Brian that will be great i would love to give a PA14 a crack next time we head out.
0401 314 820

Hammertime
Lord of the fish
kayak: 2015 Yellow Outback

Post by Hammertime »

I've got a 2015 Outback and love it.

The 2015 and beyond models are awesome with the new seat.

I've got nothing against Natives, I do like being able to come into the shallows though, but I don't like not being able to reverse. But that's just how it goes, can't have it all.
Flathead - 56cm - Lorne, Southern Calamari - 33cm - Avalon, Gum 130cm - Altona, Snapper 68cm Altona
Franko
Lord of the fish

Post by Franko »

Cheers Hamish is it a dry ride most days ? what do you love about the outback ?
0401 314 820