Aquayak Ranger??

Got an review on your kayak? Post it here!
freshwaterfella
Apprentice
kayak: BCF Glide mahi sit on top

Aquayak Ranger??

Post by freshwaterfella »

G'day fellow kayak fishers.
I am thinking about purchasing an aquayak ranger but am still a little unsure. I am wanting to know a bit more information before spending $1000 of a kayak. I will be fishing for murray cod and yellowbelly in impoundments and occasionally rivers (wide ones) and seldom saltwater rivers and enclosed bays. I will be looking to take 1-2 rods and small a landing net as well as plenty of lures (cause you can never have enough lures right). I am upgrading from a BCF glide mahi sit on top which is quickly getting too small. So I would like a fair bit of capacity.
Anybody who has a ranger/has used one are they a decent fishing yak. Are they worth buying and if not do you have any other recommendations of some good fishing yaks preferably around the same price range (highest price being about $1300 bucks).
Thanks for you help. :thumbsup: :up:
Hvalross
Lord of the fish
kayak: Yellow Hobie Pro 14

Re: Aquayak Ranger??

Post by Hvalross »

For serious lure fishing in fresh water you really NEED to be able to stand. I am sure that others will disagree, but consider this, yak gives you stealth, many of the target species can be found at the right time in shallows around snags. Poleroiding for likely snags and waiting fish requires you to be able to sight fish.....sitting at near water level is not going to deliver fully on that.
When all else fails........read the instructions!
Studies have shown that people who have more Birthdays tend to live longer...
freshwaterfella
Apprentice

Hvalross wrote:For serious lure fishing in fresh water you really NEED to be able to stand. I am sure that others will disagree, but consider this, yak gives you stealth, many of the target species can be found at the right time in shallows around snags. Poleroiding for likely snags and waiting fish requires you to be able to sight fish.....sitting at near water level is not going to deliver fully on that.
I will be fishing in areas that would be too deep to see the fish anyway. Do you still believe this is a major factor?? Is there any yaks out under $1300 you could stand in?? Do you have an opinion on the aquayak ranger??
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Wilderness ride 115 right on your budget
Hvalross
Lord of the fish

Post by Hvalross »

freshwaterfella wrote:
Hvalross wrote:For serious lure fishing in fresh water you really NEED to be able to stand. I am sure that others will disagree, but consider this, yak gives you stealth, many of the target species can be found at the right time in shallows around snags. Poleroiding for likely snags and waiting fish requires you to be able to sight fish.....sitting at near water level is not going to deliver fully on that.
I will be fishing in areas that would be too deep to see the fish anyway. Do you still believe this is a major factor?? Is there any yaks out under $1300 you could stand in?? Do you have an opinion on the aquayak ranger??
Today maybe you are fishing deeper waters, as you progress along and discover what your new rig opens up to you would it not make sense to have the built in versatility. @laneends has an option for you, may even be others, take a bit of time and see what this post brings,

Enjoy
laneends
Vyak Addict

Post by laneends »

Apart from the PAs any yak that is designed to stand in inevitably compromises open water handling, but that is not a big deal if you are definately going to be restricting to freshwater applications.

Keep in mind even on large impounds wind and chop can still be an issue, and the ranger is a wind catcher. Nath (Gusfitzroy) had an aquayak (maybe still has it), send him a PM if you want an opinion.

Steve (Redyak) has a ride 115, he maybe could advise on them.

As mentioned flexibility is important as intentions are all well and good, but not always adhered to.
freshwaterfella
Apprentice

laneends wrote: Nath (Gusfitzroy) had an aquayak (maybe still has it), send him a PM if you want an opinion.

Steve (Redyak) has a ride 115, he maybe could advise on them.
Thanks I'll get on to both of them for opinions
freshwaterfella
Apprentice

laneends wrote:Wilderness ride 115 right on your budget
Clicked on your link and found another wilderness systems yak called the perception prescador angler 12. it looks like a roomy yak
Hvalross
Lord of the fish

Post by Hvalross »

freshwaterfella wrote:
laneends wrote:Wilderness ride 115 right on your budget
Clicked on your link and found another wilderness systems yak called the perception prescador angler 12. it looks like a roomy yak
Looking at reviews they say this yak is too narrow for stand up fishing?
laneends
Vyak Addict

Post by laneends »

TBH anything other than mill pond conditions probably needs a PA for most blokes.