Prowler ultra 4.3

Got an review on your kayak? Post it here!
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Prowler ultra 4.3

Post by cheaterparts »

Well it's 18 months since I upgraded from the Kingfisher to the prowler so with more than a few miles under the belt on it and many fish caught
very few things have shown up to be a problem

it all started back in April 2014 with some pimping http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php ... owler+seat

about a month later I found the aluminium upright for the seat back support was bending so I remade one in 3 mm stainless

http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php ... at#p193850

since then only sounders packing up and a few wiring issues have been only problems - nothing with the yak itself

so in the 18 months apart form fishing both bays in sometime less than prefect conditions - in fact some times damm yukky
South West Rocks saw some larger sea days

above less than ideal conditions
the prowler was quite stable it all of the above

and recently the surf day at Inverloch again the Prowler handled quite well no nose diving and with a little paddle bracing was good and stayed upright through the day
coming in or going up

for a plastic yak these are fairly quick 6.5 - 7.5 kph cruse speed it somewhere on the money - the tackle box is really good -- the ice box while a little heavy works a treat even with larger fish

all in all the Prowler 4.3 is a very good all round fishing paddle yak , well thought out - quick and don't catch the wind to badly
they are however a wet ride with low gunwales ( waves come over the side a bit ) the large scuppers get rid of the water quickly
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Re: Prowler ultra 4.3

Post by laneends »

They certainly look impressive the way they travel.

Who sells them these days and how much coin?
Franko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Dune AI, stealth Supalite X

Post by Franko »

Im reluctantly going to sell my torque although shorter i think the hulls are shaped similar. It has set a great bench mark for me being a beginner yakker. It has giving me great understanding of what i need out of a yak.i highly rate the ocean kayaks. They have great history My next yak well paddle or peddle is the hardest choice for me.
Great write up :up:
0401 314 820

Instagram Page Franko Fishes
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

laneends wrote:Who sells them these days and how much coin?
not sure on price but http://ocean-kayak.com.au/find-a-dealer/ the big snake are dealers - but you would get more sense from Capacity Sport at a guess
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
laneends
Vyak Addict

Post by laneends »

cheaterparts wrote:
laneends wrote:Who sells them these days and how much coin?
not sure on price but http://ocean-kayak.com.au/find-a-dealer/ the big snake are dealers - but you would get more sense from Capacity Sport at a guess
With the increasing popularity in kayak fishing, and OK having a worldwide reputation it seems like a wasted opportunity for them not to push their yaks more.
Smish
Lord of the fish
kayak: Viking Profish Reload

Post by Smish »

Nice review Cheater, globally Ocean Kayaks are well respected and the people at Capacity Sports are awesome, good prices and great customer service!
Rockofclay
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Cayman Dagger and Venturer

Post by Rockofclay »

One of these (or the size up) is definitely on my shortlist for an upgrade. The trouble will be getting one on the cheap (I'm a tightarse!). Looks great for the amount of storage and speed.

It seems I'm seeing a lot of quick kayaks go cheap on ebay, but the general problem is finding one suited to carrying a bit of fishing gear.
laneends
Vyak Addict

Post by laneends »

Rockofclay wrote:One of these (or the size up) is definitely on my shortlist for an upgrade. The trouble will be getting one on the cheap (I'm a tightarse!). Looks great for the amount of storage and speed.

It seems I'm seeing a lot of quick kayaks go cheap on ebay, but the general problem is finding one suited to carrying a bit of fishing gear.
They do come up SH, particularly interstate. They may be older models though
Rockofclay
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Cayman Dagger and Venturer

Post by Rockofclay »

laneends wrote: They do come up SH, particularly interstate. They may be older models though
Got my eye out! I'd love to snap one up for 600, but that may be pushing it.
choppers
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: prowler elite 4.5

Post by choppers »

The older elite 4.5 has no centre hatch, be warned.. Minimal storage and as cheater said, low to the water causing a wet ride
"Ye old town" Yak captures - gummy (116) salmon (32) flatty (35) yakka (28) silver trev (25) couta (38) plus all the garbage fish

Prowler victims - squid (30cm) Gar (36) Snapper (80 :yahoo: ) kgw (39)