thoughts on the Stealth Profisha 525

Got an review on your kayak? Post it here!
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Re: thoughts on the Stealth Profisha 525

Post by laneends »

I think of a glass yak as a sports hatch compared to the family wagon of a plastic yak.

To scared to give one a go, I have too many yaks already :lol:
CrazyChenski
Lord of the fish
kayak: Clarkeski Dusta

Post by CrazyChenski »

laneends wrote:I think of a glass yak as a sports hatch compared to the family wagon of a plastic yak.

Sell the Ivory quest, buy an ivory stealth....... If missus ask, said that is the same Ivory "quest"
Fishing is just like Accounting .... it is all about Optical Illusion ...............
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

CrazyChenski wrote:
laneends wrote:I think of a glass yak as a sports hatch compared to the family wagon of a plastic yak.

Sell the Ivory quest, buy an ivory stealth....... If missus ask, said that is the same Ivory "quest"
Could always say I was polishing it too much and it grew a bit
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

Smish wrote:
westy wrote:Just wondering how the glass compares to a Viking preload or Jackson Kraken 15.5, and how fishabilty [amount of gear and comfort] relates to said.
Would 23kms out from Portland be an easy trip :evilgrin:
Profisha 525 ~23kg

Viking Reload ~32kg

Kraken ~38kg

Lighter guys (Cheater ;) ) are going to be impacted by the inertia of a heavier kayak to a greater extent than bigger heavier guys so your power to weight ratio is going to influence the performance of a kayak as much as a few kgs in hull weight.

When my Reload is fully rigged for a day's fishing I'm carrying:

Tackle Pod ~ 8-9 kgs

Chill Pod ~15kgs (includes 10kg of ice slurry)... on a good day add 7-12kgs of fish :D

Rods, Anchor and other bits and pieces ~ 5kg / 7kg if I'm using the Finnor Off Shores

So the stuff I carry on the kayak can weigh more than the hull.

Fully loaded I average 6.5 kph with a bit of wind and chop, at Portland on the glassed out day we had I was up around 7 kph, chasing down birds I got up to between 7.7-8.5kph but that was a lot of extra energy for a marginal difference in speed (I got excited :lol:)

My body weight is 89kgs so my BMI is 25 although my waist is 33in/84cm

I have no doubt the Profisha is faster, so maybe Eoin can give you a rough idea of how it compares.
Sorry for the late reply boys, my internet access will be sporadic over the next couple of days. I haven't finished the sounder install on the 525 yet so as Cheater said I haven't been able to GPS test it myself but I've been told the Pro Fisha will hold 8kmph cruising and has an excellent sprint speed. It doesn't take many strokes to get up to speed so I'm looking forward to chasing tuna bust-ups on it. As for gear you can carry four setups on the back deck and another four in the hatch if you don't need to surf launch. A 7ft rod goes in easy. The fish hatch on the Fisha is bigger though. You also have the day hatch for tackle boxes etc and can get some more gear or a battery box/ bilge pump etc under the seat. The payload figures on these skis is actually quite high, but the intention is to have a large slab of kingy, tuna or mackerel taking up that payload not fishing gear :evilgrin:
Jordo
Square eyes
kayak: AI

Post by Jordo »

Last time minny was over me and him did the paddle from lang lang to french island without dropping below 8kph (usually going at around 9kph). Conditions were quite sloppy. This took a little more effort on my part with an old heavy ski than it did for minny in the profisha 575.
We also gave them a bit of a blast coming back in at inverloch and maintained 16kph for about 400m, with the tide (not catching runners and no wind). Thd tide runs fairly quick there though. Also I love wind against tide in westernport cause the chop waves travel at about 13-14kph, which is slow enough to catch and stay on in a glass ski. My best runner was at lang lang where i managed to catch one for close to a kilometer. Another example is a day i did down at portland in nello's old evo (which has an ass on it compared to the profisha), i clocked up 35ks in 5-6 hours fishing, including stops to change rods and lures etc. When i was moving i was averaging about 7.5-8kph. Conditions were glassed for the most part.
So to compare to smish's example: fully loaded you should expect the profisha to cruise at 8-8.5kph (in the hands of a decent paddler) and should be able to get her hitting 10.5kph while sprinting unassisted. Keep in mind though that this is very much dependent on the paddler. Most of the time the skis are capable of more than the paddler.

Ps. Even though you can catch swell wave runners along the north shore and hit crazy speeds on them, I dont recommend it as sometimes they break randomly :shock: (who needs rods leashes, right Eoin?)
Time spent in the ocean is time spent living.
westy
Lord of the fish
kayak: hobie compass and adventure island

Post by westy »

Very interesting, thanks for your thoughts guys,have to take up Eoins offer for a paddle at some time, would love a paddle yak as a form of fitness and the pleasure of moving on water, and of cause my passion of trolling HBs :thumbsup:
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.

Post by Seasherpa »

westy wrote:Very interesting, thanks for your thoughts guys,have to take up Eoins offer for a paddle at some time, would love a paddle yak as a form of fitness and the pleasure of moving on water, and of cause my passion of trolling HBs :thumbsup:
Yep let me know when you are free Westy :thumbsup:
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

Ok I finally hit the water today with the 525 and did some kms - launching at Warneet pier I met up with another kayaker on a Mirage 582 sea kayak that was out for a paddle
We paddled over to French Island and to the yellow marker ( marine park ) at Chicory lane channel - we didn't go much under 9 kph for this 5 km leg we had tide assist going out the warneet channel and were running around 9.6 + dropping 8.5 - 9 across the current

We parted way he was off to Stony for some exersize and I headed back to Warneet most of the trip back I had no trouble holding 8 kph against the last of the run out and in fact got my max speed for my day out of 12 kph playing silly buggers ( just to see what I could do )

Back at Warneet it was time for some re enters and I did the trip back out the channel against the tide still easy enough ( no GPS speeds on this leg it had been stowed away for my re mounts )
on the way back in I did try to ride a runner ( boat wake ) and yes it picked up the wake quite well but damm it the boatie stopped to fish and my runner also stopped
can't wait fir another surf day

So 15 or so Km of good speed and light paddling - the rudder system is mint for such a long ski it turns on a dime

on a side note I bought stealth deluxe seat and it is really good most don't use a seat but I like it -- my new carbon paddle is also nice to use

so that was my first outing must say I'm pretty happy with the performance of the 525 - I still need to work on my re mounts and I think I'll add a lift handle on the right hand side more as a grab handle to slide my fat little guts up on the yak - I can get on the yak from the right had side but struggle on the left with no right hand grab handle to hang on to
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
Smish
Lord of the fish
kayak: Viking Profish Reload

Post by Smish »

cheaterparts wrote:Ok I finally hit the water today with the 525 and did some kms - launching at Warneet pier I met up with another kayaker on a Mirage 582 sea kayak that was out for a paddle
We paddled over to French Island and to the yellow marker ( marine park ) at Chicory lane channel - we didn't go much under 9 kph for this 5 km leg we had tide assist going out the warneet channel and were running around 9.6 + dropping 8.5 - 9 across the current
Sounds like a sweet ride, should eat up the kms off Portland and SWR. :up:
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.

Post by Seasherpa »

Glad your happy with it Cheater, I gave the duo a good run today solo to see what it would do. Clips along nicely, even into a steady headwind. Didn't have the GPS asI haven't done sounders on the tandem yet but I kept pace with Mozza in the Fisha