Pre 13' Pro angler 14 thoughts and upgrades?

Got an review on your kayak? Post it here!
Franko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Dune AI, stealth Supalite X

Pre 13' Pro angler 14 thoughts and upgrades?

Post by Franko »

After picking up a Pro angler on Australia day, I needed to get out on the water and try this brilliant piece of boat out. I had the opportunity to head to Echuca to drown my sorrows on not getting to Portland :idiot: :idiot: :idiot: and where some friends had a cabin. So I dragged the trailer and PA back to N.S.W. for my first crack. I had added a few railblaza mounts replaced the sounder with a colour Garmin and check the operation of the mirage drive and rudder system.
On the water at 6 AM locked in the drive lowered the rudder and off I headed upstream, instantly falling in love with this Hobie. My Outback has been a great craft but the room the speed and turning ability all took me by surprise. The comfort of the seat including leg room is in a class of it own, stand up casting was awesome I also modified my paddle by adding the T handle to the end turning it into a SUP style paddle which work incredibly well in the Campaspe river. So the pros are what you read the ultimate in fishing vessel for long stints and casting. The overall size is big, 14 foot of length gives you rough weather insurance the width keep you dry and secure with the deck be typically Hobie well set out. The cons are standard issue :down: weight to cart it around the other one is the steering I felt it was a lot heavier than my outback and was not as responsive this concerns me if you re in rough weather trying to correct your course against the elements. I found myself palming the steering control which was not that comfortable. I will make some adjustments and research a little more regarding the bigger rudder and steering upgrades.I will still be taking both kayaks out before the end of summer and decide which one is best for my needs.
So past and present PA owner..........

I would like to know what DO's I should consider when modifying the PA &
what are some DONT's ?
I have already planned on a rear anchor trolley and hatch seals
The V2 drive had turbo fins already apart from this your wisdom will be greatly appreciated.
0401 314 820

Instagram Page Franko Fishes
Wind Waker
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback, Hobie PA14 MD180,

Re: Pre 13' Pro angler 14 thoughts and upgrades?

Post by Wind Waker »

Glidetech drive upgrade is a high priority as is a ball on the steering handle . dunno if that has the boa steering tensioner but could be worth while. Maybe the hrail upgrades if possible?
Live long, fish hard and hopefully catch something.
Franko
Lord of the fish

Post by Franko »

It does have an adjustment underneath so i will play with the steering. Brett is Glide tech that GOOD? I have a V1 drive off the older outback, i was considering upgrading that with turbo fins and using that in the PA. Donate the PA V2 drive to the outback..
0401 314 820

Wind Waker
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback, Hobie PA14 MD180,

Post by Wind Waker »

It is that good I reckon. I had v2 in the sport and glidetech in the outback. The difference is chalk and cheese.

The 180 is better again.

If you only travel 2 or 3km its less worthwhile but if you troll or cover more ground its alot less effort.

Shane could probably provide more insight on the benefits
Live long, fish hard and hopefully catch something.
vicyak
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie PA 14

Post by vicyak »

I recommend the bigger rudder. I flipped by PA14 in rough weather. Perhaps the bigger rudder would have avoided that situation.

If you start doing too many mods the cost can outweigh the benefit of just buying a newer model.

Is the larger rudder something you can buy from a hobie dealer?

Also I highly recommend carry safety gear such as flares, waterproof torch. I'm about to but a radio for that extra insurance as well.
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

Frank,
These threads will give you some ideas:
http://vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5 ... sh+pa+seat
http://vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1 ... er#p229582

As I commented in the second thread, the couple of mods I'd highly recommend for an older PA14 are:

- Add a boat seat, just remove the old seat and install a new padded boat seat to the existing base. Gives much more room around the seat and far more comfortable.
http://vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1 ... +boat+seat

- Add a DIY larger rudder or at least get the larger Hobie one.
http://vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5 ... Y&start=20
http://vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1 ... er#p175687
http://vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1 ... er#p150898

- Get the Glide Tech upgrade kit from Hobie to modernise your mirage drive. It can add nearly 1km/hr to your cruising speed and greatly reduces effort.
http://vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6 ... de#p221482

Other things like rod storage, anchor system and loading system can all be done to suit personal preference. If using a 1.5kg grapnel you can just feed it through the rear handle opening and secure the line with a cleat near the seat - simple and effective. Otherwise for bigger anchors you can set up a roller/guide on the rear handle for the anchor line. Improvements to the front seal are also worthwhile if you encounter rougher water, look at Yako's recent thread for guidance.
0408 565 763
Franko
Lord of the fish

Post by Franko »

thanks guys awesome info... I will certainly post any mods ..
0401 314 820

Yako
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA 14, A.I, Revo16 & 4.1 Ocean Kayak

Post by Yako »

I think the Rudder was the first thing I custom made thanks to Shane's advice and certainly helped me again on Saturday tracking back with 17/18Kt winds with 1,5m cresting waves accelerating me sporadically :lol:
John 3.16/17