Hobie Compass - NEW VIDEO ADDED

Got an review on your kayak? Post it here!
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Hobie Compass - NEW VIDEO ADDED

Post by maverick »

Ok, so this is not a review of the Hobie Compass, it is just my impression and few observations from a short 2 hour period on the water, in relatively benign conditions and without being able to head back out after making some adjusts. And just to put it in perspective I have been using an older Hobie Outback with the moulded seat as a comparison.

Pimping it first:

The most obvious difference with the Outback is the reduced storage – all part of reducing the weight and the cost. I added the rectangular tackle box and moved the circle hatch to the bow where the battery was added. The 2 rod holders and Lowrance Elite 4 all fit into the H rail. 2 push in Hobie Rod Extensions Tubes were inserted, the Lowrance unit wired up and it was basically done. My esky already holds 3 rod holders, the Go Pro mount and a Berleypro Orb light. This just clips into place, a perfect fit.

My first test run impressions

Great:

Rudder – I had reservations about the rudder, given the rudder/steerage history of PA 12 & 14’s - but the rudder on the Compass was responsive and felt very balanced. The side mounted steering knob was easy & comfortable to use, in a very natural to use position. There appeared to be no issue in the small following sea when I went downwind.

Tracking – the Compass appears to track quite straight compared to the Outback and doesn’t wander as much.

Stability - I was apprehensive about the higher seat position but the conditions were very mild but I was surprised by the apparent stability when side on to the waves, and also when moving around the kayak. I would hesitate to say it probably felt better than the Outback and the higher seat position made you (literally) feel higher and above the waves. I didn’t have the opportunity to try and stand up.

Front end buoyancy – I have yet to test it in waves but the couple of waves I went through did lift water over the bow. There was minimal splashing however, compared to the Outback.

Speed – I used the same mirage drive as I used in my Outback, with the stainless legs and single Flow Fin. It did seem easier to maintain trolling speed but I didn’t try for a top speed. Given I am in recovery mode still, I took it pretty easy but genuinely believe it was easier to maintain a trolling speed.

Size – I found the wider seat and extra cabin space very large and comfortable.

Berleypro Side Bro – a nice attachment which helps to keep things tidy and improves the storage.

Catching Fish – well I did christen the yak with a couple of fish and it worked perfectly. Easy enough to lift the fish in, plenty of room in the cockpit to handle the fish and chasing down and manoeuvring around the bigger fish while I was fighting it was great.

Other Observations:

Seat Comfort - the seat didn’t seem as comfortable as my AI seat, but after returning to shore I made a couple of adjustments which I am yet to try on the water, but think it will help significantly. It was still a comfortable seat; I just need to make it fit my body.

Storage – it is no surprise that it is limited and with a little planning you can fit some extra gear, but you really need to plan ahead and take the minimum. I took a couple of extra waterproof bags to store tackle in, which sat between the seat and esky. I may go back to the in-hull storage I had on the Outback and not use the 2 fold out tackle trays. Using some mesh and making a square container I think will work quite well and increase capacity but have yet to make it.

WIndage – I did notice that sitting higher up exposes you to more wind and the drift is faster than the old Outback, but probably similar to the new Outback’s and PA’s I assume.

Refitting the trolley – this is only in comparison in regard to my Outback. Not having a rear hatch open and lift the rear of the yak with is not ideal. The only way I can find at the moment to insert the trolley is to roll the yak on its side – not the best option on rocks or rough sand. Still working on another solution!

Stay tuned for the next update once I get to test it in some rougher weather.
Last edited by maverick on 25 Dec 2017, 09:41, edited 2 times in total.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Re: Hobie Compass - initial observations

Post by maverick »

A few pics.

I have always had reservations about drilling holes in new kayaks, but taking a jigsaw to it twice was a whole another experience. :shock:
Centre hatch
Centre hatch
centre hatch in.jpg
front hatch.jpg
front hatch 2.jpg
front view.jpg
front side view.jpg
rear view.jpg
side bro.jpg
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
Jacko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by Jacko »

Thanks for the report Mav,

Looks like a good fit out you have done.
I reckon we will see a few more Hobie compass on the water.

Wise use of the jigsaw.
Got yourself a free green Hobie frisbee by creating the round hatch.

And the rectangle hatch is so much better.
I am contemplating putting one of those on my old outback.
Yako
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA 14, A.I, Revo16 & 4.1 Ocean Kayak

Post by Yako »

I hope you kept the plastic offcuts Pete, they’re very handy if you ever want to weld/repair something or close a “drilled” hole etc but being new hopefully that’s not necessary.
John 3.16/17
erik the viking
Square eyes
kayak: 2015 Outback

Post by erik the viking »

Great to hear that you are up and about Mav. But I am confused, as the reports were you had a 'ticker' rejig and service.
But the guys said that you were heartless? :yahoo:
I haven't found that to be the case at all. :thumbsup:

Storage – it is no surprise that it is limited and with a little planning you can fit some extra gear, but you really need to plan ahead and take the minimum. I took a couple of extra waterproof bags to store tackle in, which sat between the seat and esky. I may go back to the in-hull storage I had on the Outback and not use the 2 fold out tackle trays. Using some mesh and making a square container I think will work quite well and increase capacity but have yet to make it.

As to storage, I looked at your mesh option and other suggestions from the forum and settled for one of those elcheapo rectangular cooler bags that holds 6 or 8 cans.($3.50 in the $2 shop)
Fits in perfectly and enables you to still have access inside the hull to store larger w/p torch, hand bilge pump etc. Tackle boxes fit perfectly inside these coolers as well.
Just fold the lid of it out of the way or cut it off completely.

Refitting the trolley – this is only in comparison in regard to my Outback. Not having a rear hatch open and lift the rear of the yak with is not ideal. The only way I can find at the moment to insert the trolley is to roll the yak on its side – not the best option on rocks or rough sand. Still working on another solution!

To lift the beast you could fit a Hobie flexible handle to the rear deck up between the rear edge of the storage well and the rudder hatch. That is if you can access the hull/deck through there or the screws/nuts/backing washers? That could give you a nicely central lifting spot.

From my first outsiders impression, it looks like a great hull with good stability. But I did notice the extreme lack of 'out of the box' storage. However, how many of us take out heaps and only use 1/4 of it? Yep guilty there.
Safe and happy travels Mav.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

erik the viking wrote: To lift the beast you could fit a Hobie flexible handle to the rear deck up between the rear edge of the storage well and the rudder hatch. That is if you can access the hull/deck through there or the screws/nuts/backing washers? That could give you a nicely central lifting spot.
I used to use mavs method of lifting with the hatch open until I installing battery there, also made the error of not closing the hatch proper on launching. Which causes big problem on adventure hull as you cant reach it. So i installed handle at back of tankwell to lift. Also one across front of tankwell is helpful. If anyone is thinking of doing this, make it a long handle so you can adjust your balance better (eg a bar) a short handle makes balancing a loaded kayak difficult. Attach to side of tankwell rather than deck that way you are pulling sideways on bolts rather than straight up.
erik the viking
Square eyes

laneends wrote: made the error of not closing the hatch proper on launching. Which causes big problem on adventure hull as you cant reach it.

Ah yes. The old 'forgot to close the hatch' issue! Bugger.
It's easy to do when you are trying to get out el pronto.
You have got to wash the battery terminals/connector and give them a dose of conductive grease when you get home.
That's why I fitted a handle too. Not sure it's in the best spot for my short arms though. :?
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

erik the viking wrote:
laneends wrote: made the error of not closing the hatch proper on launching. Which causes big problem on adventure hull as you cant reach it.

Ah yes. The old 'forgot to close the hatch' issue! Bugger.
It's easy to do when you are trying to get out el pronto.
You have got to wash the battery terminals/connector and give them a dose of conductive grease when you get home.
That's why I fitted a handle too. Not sure it's in the best spot for my short arms though. :?
In an adventure it is more serious than a splash or two getting in...I now have the flag mount on the hatch so its obvious if its not closed
erik the viking
Square eyes

laneends wrote:
erik the viking wrote:
laneends wrote:
In an adventure it is more serious than a splash or two getting in...I now have the flag mount on the hatch so its obvious if its not closed

Bazinga. The old flag on the hatch trick eh 99. That'll do it.
See. It's easy when you get shown the easy way to do things. :D
Thanks Keith.
Got to love freshwater river fishing.
No rinsing off after each launch.
Little to no corrosion.
No waves or jetskis.
Ah, the serenity...............
Yako
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA 14, A.I, Revo16 & 4.1 Ocean Kayak

Post by Yako »