Cobra question...Vs various.

Got an review on your kayak? Post it here!
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Re: Cobra question...Vs various.

Post by shane »

moirae wrote:The Hobie is a nice piece of kit. I'm fairly large for it though, 6'3" and 95-100kgs...
I have the Hobie Quest 13 and I'm 6'4" and a bit over 90kgs. I have absolutely no trouble fitting into it (not even up to the last foot peg) and the weight capacity is listed as 159kg. The Quest handles really well, is great to paddle and cuts through the water well. An advantage over the Cobra is that it has plenty of deck space and a large front hatch that can be accessed on the water. I would recommend at least a test paddle of the Quest before you decide. You may even be able to get a run-out model a little cheaper like I did.

Shane.
0408 565 763
moirae
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie Revo "Fishless"

Post by moirae »

Cheers.

Will go have a look at one this week.

How do they go paddling over a longer haul? Say around 20kms. Easy enough to do or a bit of a pain in the butt?
herbie
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Stabicraft 1550 Fisher

Post by herbie »

Hi mate, sounds like you are in agony. The toured looks and sounds great. You are never gonna find a yak that is perfect for both applications but this sounds Damn close!

Nothing like real world experience do I would be looking to get one out for a day and see how she goes. Take it for a test paddle over a couple of kms and see how she travels.

Apart from that, the price point is excellent so get on with it :D

Btw, welcome to the forum.
cheers

Herbie
0404 257 360
moirae
Square eyes

Post by moirae »

Its a major PITA.

The more informed you get, the harder it becomes.

Still....there are worse things I could be stressing over :P
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

moirae wrote:How do they go paddling over a longer haul? Say around 20kms. Easy enough to do or a bit of a pain in the butt?
I've never done a single trip anything near that length. The most I would do in a session would be around 8 to 10km and not straight line. With these I have been quite comfortable but its hard to compare with straight line distance touring.
0408 565 763
moirae
Square eyes

Post by moirae »

So.....

Skipped out of work early this arvo and went down to SLH in Mornington...

Sigh.

All you peddlers are onto a good thing eh....The Hobies really are a nice bit of kit.

Just made it even harder for me.....Mirage Revo looks kinda suitable.

Sigh. :?
Knogg
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Pro Angler 12,COBRA,Fish and Dive,play

Post by Knogg »

So what's the decision.

I clearly went the Cobra. And haven't looked back.

I'm more partial to bigger guns than thick thighs and a pointy arse. Ha ha :)

Besides fat arming it wasn't derived from hanging a leg out the window for the gilrs. :)
"Every Fisherman has a story" but "Every KAYAK fisherman has a better one"
moirae
Square eyes

Post by moirae »

I'm still shopping.... FFS I am still shopping..... As posted above, the more educated you get with kayaks, the harder it gets....I was always going to take my time but its getting ridiculous.

I have tried out several. The hobies, and the cobra along with some others...

I have been looking for a second hand Hobie Revo 13 or Adventure but without any luck. Even looked at a couple of Outbacks. Seems that there are a fair few outbacks hitting
ebay etc...pretty regularly. Unfortunately most are in the northern states. I will most definitely be getting a mirage in the future.

I still want a paddle yak at the moment though, so I think I will go for the Cobra.... It is quality. Takes my weight easily and is extremely stable.

Should have completed a purchase in the next couple of weeks if work can calm down some. I still think the Cobra Tourer is the way to go.

My main concern is that it is not immediately "fishy" enough. It will take some work to get it where I want it. But dollar for dollar it is a great bit of kit.

I have really put a lot of work into this over the past few months. Looking forward to getting out there very soon....and a long winter of self rescue practice and rigging. :P

Next snapper season I will be absolutely smashing it :yahoo:

Or I could go a Malibu X-13....or a prowler 4.5....or a tarpon 140....... see what I mean..
Knogg
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Pro Angler 12,COBRA,Fish and Dive,play

Post by Knogg »

Last time I was in Andrew had a cobra pro fisherman on the shelf good price. Now that's like the tourer but seriously fishy.
"Every Fisherman has a story" but "Every KAYAK fisherman has a better one"
Jeff67
Apprentice
kayak: OK prowler 4.5

Post by Jeff67 »

If you want a test of a prowler 4.5 let me know, not very familiar with other yaks, but the best thing I've found with the prowler is how much I've added with out drilling a hole.
I also saw Redyaks tarpon 120 and that was also a nice.

Cheers Jeff