Navionics

Discussion about gear used for offshore yakking.
bjspinner
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 180Drive/ Oasis

Re: Navionics

Post by bjspinner »

shane wrote:My Navionics map card did a self destruct a few months ago while sitting in my laptop. Thankfully I pulled it out before the whole computer melted. Unfortunately no warranty claim as it was past Lowrance/Navionics warranty period (and I can't find the original receipt to do a ACL claim). I've looked for map cards on gumtree etc but the XL50 doesn't come up that often and can be as much as a new sounder. CH Smith were selling old Eilte 4 CHIRP head units with XL50 Gold for the price of a card for a while but seem to have run out of them. :roll: Imho I don't believe there's sufficient value in purchasing a new card directly from Navionics.

I've played around with recording my own tracks but the Elite 4 CHIRP keeps saying it's running out of storage space, even with an empty card. I've also looked into Insight Genesis community maps but these are still very limited for Australia and you can only load up one at a time, not in combination. I currently have the Bass Strait Community map loaded but it doesn't have much apart from strips either side of the heads and Flinders. I'd love to find a way of scanning/converting the Navionics webapp data onto a .kmz file or similar community base map, but I haven't found a way as yet. :(

I guess I'll just have hope I can win the Elite 5 tsi at the NSC. :lol:
Might pay to check back as insight genesis is a community based information map so keeps gett ing updated.

I have most east Gippsland estuaries on the one micro sd card, you can swap between mapped area's in the one location (Mallacoota top/bottom lake and Genoa river ) through the maps menu.
Mobile 0418991898
PB: Micro surgery on one of Scuba Sue's Gummy's
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Re: Navionics

Post by shane »

I checked today using the online viewer. I'm not personally interested in the estuary systems that seem to get more thorough coverage. My main interest is the PPB, WP and Bass Strait maps. Bass Strait seems to be mainly mako fishing as they have remote slices heading out wide without really covering an area. Some places like Cape Schank to Wonthaggi are well covered but not further west. I suspect it's a single boat creating most of these. When I've tried before I could only load one map at a time. I'm happy to look further if anyone can point me in the right direction.
0408 565 763